Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Exploration

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Getting well  into my second month of exploration along this route:

3rv31vbcbl36.jpg

If you get fed up with bugs or mundane missions in the Bubble, it's well worth heading out into the black. Taking your time, doing a sesh whenever you feel like it, with no stress, no time constraints or targets - just cruise and do what you like. I'm out here with Commander Hazardous Matt and another companion, and so far my undiscovered system count is at 134. Yes, that's 134 systems that will have my commander name on them - and an awful lot top-up for the bank, and I'm nowhere near the end of the journey yet.

First, we met up at the "bottom" of the galaxy (or top, depends which way you look at it!) and then headed towards the Lagoon Colonia Highway stop. From there we headed out towards the NGC/War & Peace Nebula. There were quite a few undiscovered systems along the way - but not much that was spectacular or particularly noteworthy - just regular systems, 65 undiscovered in all. When we got to NGC, I found that all of the systems from 20LY out had been discovered.

Whilst we sat there, wondering what to do next, I came up with the route in the picture above, and Matt was keen - so off we set. Since leaving NGC, almost every system I have come across has been undiscovered and there has been lots of nice screenshot material. Planets of all kinds of colours, werid huge gas giants and silvery, mirror-like rings, not to mention very spectacular looking nebula clouds.

Here are some screens from along the way. I'm only at stage 2 - and there are another 11 to go yet! Seey sometime around Christmas.... maybe! 😉

51blj33zs7q4.bmp

See these clouds on the galaxy map?:

fah59bqftjlt.jpg

Well, they are there in the galaxy, too:

lzr32edsnzz4.jpg
q3jobvp8y412.jpg

Planets are often coloured based on the clouds around them - like this one:

zbw88wfglwhg.jpg

A typical system, ripe for scanning and imprinting with my name:

btbjaqzq2c3q.jpg

...and in many cases, they are just a few light years from each other, all in a nice, tight cluster:

c27aoqlm6ewl.jpg

You can see the nebulae we are heading for - it's almost like joining the dots:

iyr3ed8xdh3s.jpg

these are a couple of the nicer ringed bodies - the second one is actually a shining Brown (Tauri) star and was very spectacular in-game:

i9zn3iw8jjcc.jpg

v5118iszkea0.jpg

This is where we are now - was a little reluctant to enter this aggressive looking cloud - but no worries, apart from cutting out some of the light and actually obscuring some of the neighbouring stars, it's quite harmless:

r1ea1d35dt9g.jpg

epu35yjb3yhp.jpg

All of this, not even half as far away as Colonia - so you don't have to go that far to find it, and find 'fame' in the form of your name spread across astronomical bodies in the galaxy.

And it's so much more relaxing... B)

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
648 REPLIES 648

Digikid1
Consultant
Is there a way to tell the ship to go to a place that is more than one jump away....tell the ship to jump again automatically?  Kinda annoying to stop, realign, then jump again. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Only hackers were found to do that so was being looked into prevent them auto-pilot trading.

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
I found out the other day that cyclopses can see stuff that we can't in the FSS:
They get a zoom effect when zooming in, which I don't care about BUT
they also get orbit rings around moons and stuff, which I do care about.

Folk think the latter must be a bug.
SenseiMatty's thread on Elite's forums

And the support ticket should you add your voice.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
The problem with having large jump ranges is that you miss lots of stuff. I last used a ship that I deliberately set at just under 30LY (an Imperial Clipper I think) and I was gobsmacked at all the great stuff I was finding and the amount of undiscovered systems on heavily trodden paths - such as Sag A* to Colonia. Loadsa undiscovered Neutron stars, for example.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Greyman
Superstar
I agree and once I get to the unexplored areas, which is easier with the long jump range, I can always either reduce the range, by disabling the FSD booster and/or synthesising limpets to add weight, or more likely just jump around using the navigation screen and not the route planner.

Also, with only 0.036% of the galaxy's systems being visited so far, according to FD, it shouldn't be too hard to find virgin territory.  ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Problems with Support Staff at FD! (taking piss!)
FD: "I am sorry to now that you are currently
experiencing some problems in-game. 

In order for us to best understand the problem, could you please provide us
with some screenshots demonstrating the issue. The more information we have the
better we will be able to explain the problem to QA.

I look forward to your response and ask that if you have any additional
questions or issues, to please not hesitate to ask as we are here and always
happy to help ::disappointed: 

ME: "You don’t need screenshots. You surely
know the issue if using VR in GalMap to try plotting routes.You know the only way to see the Target
Circle is the alter the Y-Axis and up is best as then it won’t swap your X-Axis
around! Now I use the Slider of the Thrustmaster
16000M and usually leave it in the Fully Up position.Sadly this must be sending out constant
data as when it is either Fully Up/Down OR is moving the Slider then the Mouse
Curser can not appear! Only leaving the Slider in a position
other than Fully Up/Down allows the Mouse Curser to appear! So I leave it at
90% (other CMDRs also know this workaround) However, another problem is when we
switch to System Map and go into the Planetary Map then the Y-Axis also moves
and we can not use Select Outpost from the menu as it won’t stay on it to allow
Select to work. So we now must move the Slider to 50%.So you see, even though my Workaround
solves the GalMap to see the Target Circle AND also allow the Mouse Curser to
appear...It now also gets in the way of using the
System Map’s Planetary Map! The way it used to work was simply
allowing the Mouse Curser to appear regardless of what position the Slider for
Y-Axis was set at. This needs to be fixed as it once was."

FD: "I understand that you are unable to access the
bug forum, which is exactly why you were asked for screenshots/ footage
demonstrating the issue. Rather than you attempting to submit a report on our
forums, I have offered to submit a report myself, directly to our QA team and
attach the footage.

Having access to this footage is the best way for us and them to have a better
understanding of the problem, as we can then see it for ourselves. Therefore,
please attach imagery in your next response.

Additionally, in order to save us from getting back in touch with you and
pestering you with further questions, I would like to ask that you provide us
with a clear, bulleted outline of the issue that you are experiencing so that
we can reiterate it back to QA. The clearer and more detailed the information
is, the better equipped our QA team will be in order to rectify this.

Finally, please be specific and explain to us what you mean by this
sentence - " found the problem - it's
with the FC16000m Slider.."

From looking through your past tickets I have been unable to locate
specifically what issue you are referring to.

I look forward to your response."

ME: "If your DEVs can not understand what I
wrote then I give up! It is simple English.No diagram is NEEDED to tell you the
problem. What do you want? A pic of the GalMap? One with it tilted? One with
the Mouse Showing? One with the Mouse NOT showing?This is ridiculous! The same all in the South of England...we ask for a Steak
Pie and the answer is “OK you want a Chicken Pie” but no I wanted a Steak Pie.
“OK you mean the Onion Bagii”. I am not even joking. This just happened to a
friend of mine! Look, either pass it to QA or direct to
DEVs. All I can do is tell it like it is and NO DIAGRAMS WILL HELP YOU!!!"

I GIVE UP! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST THIS ON FDFORUM AS I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS?

RattyUK
Trustee

Digikid1 said:

Is there a way to tell the ship to go to a place that is more than one jump away....tell the ship to jump again automatically?  Kinda annoying to stop, realign, then jump again. 

Nope...   Designed to allow the pirates more chance to 'first dibs' on all of your tasty stuff!

Or maybe just to use the star to refill your fuel if a fuel star.

C'mon, if you're not bothered with refuelling you can be around the star and starting the next jump within seconds of the FSD being ready, also think that each new system you jump in to is worth credits...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Further requests to fix Bugs to FD emailed...
" MULTICREW: -

Although is a bad
design to allow Gunners Access at all times whilst Deployed and the only method
of preventing them firing (when trolling; or not knowing how to play; or glitching
connections) is to place e.g. KWS to be a higher Priority to un-power
Hardpoints. Useful but awkward to manage is all.

1. BUG of Gunner Turrets continue to fire
    past the time they cease firing (I expect)

2. BUG that the Gunner Turrets are
    delayed and glitch widely as if to tell us they do not have a Locked
    Target but they do!

3. Bad connection for 2 Fighters to
    Deploy and when AI Fighter is used it still (as in 2.4) gets glitched with
    3rd Player trying to access it. Also if I deploy AI when used
    in Multicrew it often crashes the game!

Far better in design
to remove all obstacles of real life combinations e.g. allow Captain to use
Gunner; Crew to pilot Helm; allow 2 AI Fighter Crew; etc. In a way you already
included AI in Gunner as the Turret Mode! So let it all happen."

PLEASE ADD TO THE FDFORUM AS I HAVE NO ACCESS.

Greyman
Superstar
Have you tried the FD forum again recently, as they do appear to be back up and running and do look pretty good?

there is a message for people who are experiencing problems in accessing the forum and going through that process would certainly provide a more effective and direct way for you to communicate with FD and others.

Anonymous
Not applicable
No need. I was trolled by Pranking Mods with powers to give Infractions by baiting posters under the global governmental role of Political Correctness. My thread of "Freedom Of Speech in UK" was grossly baited by them to give them this new job, in which it posted Stephen Fry talking about God in Ireland to Tommy Robinson about what he talks about. Infractions ensued a ban but I did not agree and had to access the Forum to ask questions how to play areas of it (as no provisions are written), to Report Bugs, and also provide Feedback of Ideas. So I created a 2nd Account and was banned for LIFE. They track you by ISP and I do not use a VPN.
It was highly wrong to do that to a Customer and alienize them. This sort of thing went around Social Media everywhere and has ruined the liberties of being social to many. It summed up my thread entirely...there is no freedom of speech even if you are quoting anything that it surrounds. Unless that is you form to Protest March and I have no desire to do that! I do not form any part of a group nor any beliefs. I am merely a bystander which observes much like that man who was knocked down in London by a Policeman which killed him! However, on the plus side it created Forum Mod jobs for FD!

Again I do the correct thing and email FD Support about the above issues, I get ignored as there is no PICS for them to look at. How old are they LOL? I know from their Nicknames they are not English born but come on, all they need is pass the info on! Cut the RED TAPE in their job-title and fix these.