Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

Zenbane said:

Something I really like about the difference between the Store Front's for both Quest and Rift-S:
  • Rift-S will continue to allow Early Access content, for dev's to experiment and PCVR users to engage in early access content.
  • Quest will be only finished, final products.
I think this is great.

Great for us Rift CV1 users, but maybe not so great for us Go users?  Sorry but I'm not sure why a CV1 user with a Go would actually buy a  Rift S or Quest?  Esp. if the Quest cannot use your current Go library (albeit 3dof).

I'm a CV1 w/ a GO. I'm buying Rift-S for the improved optics, tracking ease, new features like Passthrough+

Seems sensible, thanks.  Are you also going to upgrade your Go to a Quest?  
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

CrashFu
Consultant

TomCgcmfc said:

Zenbane said:

Something I really like about the difference between the Store Front's for both Quest and Rift-S:
  • Rift-S will continue to allow Early Access content, for dev's to experiment and PCVR users to engage in early access content.
  • Quest will be only finished, final products.
I think this is great.

Great for us Rift CV1 users, but maybe not so great for us Go users?  Sorry but I'm not sure why a CV1 user with a Go would actually buy a  Rift S or Quest?  Esp. if the Quest cannot use your current Go library (albeit 3dof).

The confirmation of cross-buy between Rift and Go makes me think that a "Go emulator mode" for Quest isn't necessarily out of the question, either.

Not that it would really ever be necessary;  if you own a Go and a Quest, why would you waste your Quest's batteries playing 3dof games when you can just do that stuff on the Go itself, and save the Quest for 6dof stuff?

I guess if you're letting someone else in your household borrow the Go, or you're going on a trip and only want to pack the Quest, and there's a 3dof game that you're just dying to play instead of any of your Quest games...   but that does kinda seem like an unlikely scenario, eh?    Or maybe if you buy the Quest and then decide you don't want your Go any more at all, so you sell / give it to someone else... but you still want to play the Go games on your account?  That might be a slightly more likely scenario, I guess.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

"its a choice not a force" LOLOOLOLOLOL "We are no longer selling the CV1"

But it will be 100% supported going forward. Seems you cherry picked the parts of the interview you wanted to hear. I began highly skeptical, but I am able to process new information. Listen to the interview again, minus the bias.
😉

vannagirl
Consultant
Zenny buys a Rift S,

calling it now  😛
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

vannagirl said:

Zenny buys a Rift S,

calling it now

I'm definitely CLOSER after getting more info. Not confirmed yet, but much closer.

ShocksVR
Superstar

TomCgcmfc said:

Seems sensible, thanks.  Are you also going to upgrade your Go to a Quest?  

No, I use GO for media: video, streaming TV, Netflix, Hulu, Venues.  It's still the best for that since it has the RGB stripe screen.  IMO, Quest is more about playing games which I don't need in a mobile device, I'll be using RIft for playing games.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

inovator
Consultant
To me the go isn't that  comfortable without the stiff strap. I'll use the quest for media as well. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

To me the go isn't that  comfortable without the stiff strap.

inovator
Consultant
That's exactly the strap I was talking about.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

"its a choice not a force" LOLOOLOLOLOL "We are no longer selling the CV1"

But it will be 100% supported going forward. Seems you cherry picked the parts of the interview you wanted to hear. I began highly skeptical, but I am able to process new information. Listen to the interview again, minus the bias.
😉

Can't support both if you only selling one though:) but you just ignore the fact? There isnt a choice here. They will support it much like the DK units. Once your warranty is up - they will just tell you to get a new one. There will be no extra parts outside of warranty or low volume supply once that extra stuff runs out. Even upcoming patches will be drop. So its not really a choice - its a cut off date:) I mean look at the treatment of DK owners after they stop the sell of the units.