Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:
But the item isnt new its USED meaning its not the same as getting a new one witch is what I think he was trying to comment. I am sure you can buy a new one - but with Ebay and the likes you are taking a risk that it is new or not been used by someone else or is trying to sell it because of a imperfection. 

Oh my, now you're going to struggle with this issues as well?
Here is what pyro said,
"Yea the only reason I'm probably going to get a Rift-S is because I
can't stand to put on my CV1 anymore and look through those lenses lol. I
just looked on ebay and CV1's are going for 100 bucks, even saw a brand
new unopened one for 150 lol. I'll have to hold mine until people need
parts."

Everything he said was true. Check E-Bay instead of starting another meaningless debate.

Ok and your point? I didnt comment on his post. I was commenting on the other thing:) Get back with me when you comment about that post:D cheers sweetie.

I took a picture:
eohtakuft1ma.png
 As you can see I didnt say he was wrong or right. I didnt even talk about him:)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:
Na, Microsoft will just tell you 'Meh, that sucks, but we dont really support it"

More fiction. I've worked closely with Microsoft for 20 years, and you couldn't be more wrong. Check their OS Lifecycle fact sheet as one example:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
ic0q29s3zp4q.png

Nothing you are claiming about Microsoft's and Oculus' support is factually true. You are just arguing your own personal theory.

LOL "END OF EXTENDED SUPPORT" Aka, support - SAYS IT RIGHT THERE LOL. Windows 7 still has time before it end support - once that time frame passes - itll be done supporting it.

Are you arguing supported items are not supported? I am a bit confused now ?? Either they support it or they dont simple as that. Once the extended support ends - you have ot buy into support for the products and they are only started doing this more recent as away for mid and small business to do such a thing. Before, it was only limited to VERY high end enterprise. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
LOL "END OF EXTENDED SUPPORT" Aka, support - SAYS IT RIGHT THERE LOL. Windows 7 still has time before it sends support - once that time frame passes - itll be done supporting it.

Look at how many YEARS we are talking though. Windows 8.1 was released in 2013 and had mainstream support until 2018 (5 years) with extended support until 2023, for a total of 10 Years.

And you're here spouting doomsday prophecies about the Rift CV1 losing Support even though it's only 3 years old. Oculus hasn't given a single "end of life" prediction yet, they said support is ongoing.

Hyperbole much?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:
LOL "END OF EXTENDED SUPPORT" Aka, support - SAYS IT RIGHT THERE LOL. Windows 7 still has time before it sends support - once that time frame passes - itll be done supporting it.

Look at how many YEARS we are talking though. Windows 8.1 was released in 2013 and had mainstream support until 2018 (5 years) with extended support until 2023, for a total of 10 Years.

And you're here spouting doomsday prophecies about the Rift CV1 losing Support even though it's only 3 years old. Oculus hasn't given a single "end of life" prediction yet, they said support is ongoing.

Hyperbole much?

A OS or platform of that size has to have many years of support. WHOLE companies are built around it. There is a bit of a differences when it comes to life of the product outside of supported or not.

Na, but you saying I am only seeing half of what was said - when in truth - they are only making one headset - the CV1 isnt going to be a choice after a while. Their comment is a bit wrong when itll start being a force upgrade with in a year. The other comments expanded on the idea that they will continue - but without hardware there - how do you even support it xD? They just wont rewrite something for no reason. Their goal is to push forward. CV1 is dead for the most part and with in about a year people will just be saying "Move on bro, CV is old and dead" much like the old post were for the DKs xD

I mean I just had to correct someone thinking the software wasnt design for DK when the software was totally design for DK to play on the CV1 lunch day. It just work. Once the controllers came out - then software was design for that instead droping the need for DK.

pyroth309
Visionary
Also, i was looking at current clip on headphone options if Oculus chooses not to release an addon. I much prefer over ear headphones over buds as earbuds always fall out of my ears and I just really don't' like the feel of them in there. All I've been able to find are these for the PSVR which I didn't even know existed.

Wonder if they'll fit on the lenovo halo.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
A OS or platform of that size has to have many years of support. WHOLE companies are built around it. There is a bit of a differences when it comes to life of the product outside of supported or not.

Now you're backpedaling! Naughty pants 😉

First you argued that Microsoft was a good example of how Support just ends with a forced upgrade. Now that we have some facts (e.g. 10 years of support), you're arguing that Microsoft is so big that they can afford extended Support. This isn't a sing-a-long bro! I don't follow the bouncy ball where ever it goes lol. Extended Support is the norm for many companies for many reasons. And in fact, Rubin explained why Rift-S was released instead of "Rift-S plus a Rift CV2" - due to the fact that it would cost more resources to support all those headsets. They have planned a roadmap for ongoing support of both Rift-S and Rift CV1 in a way that makes it cost-effective. So whatever excuses you're making up don't apply.

Na, but you saying I am only seeing half of what was said - when in
truth - they are only making one headset - the CV1 isnt going to be a
choice after a while.

Yet Support will continue for the foreseeable future, which is what's being discussed.

Their commend is a bit wrong when itll start being a force upgrade with in a year.

I'll hold you to that prediction 😉

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:

Also, i was looking at current clip on headphone options if Oculus chooses not to release an addon. I much prefer over ear headphones over buds as earbuds always fall out of my ears and I just really don't' like the feel of them in there. All I've been able to find are these for the PSVR which I didn't even know existed.

Agreed! I hate sticking earbuds in my ear holes :'(

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

pyroth309 said:

Agreed! I hate sticking earbuds in my ear holes :'(

Yea, I think we're just too old. That trend started after I was already conditioned to use my sony walkman for years (When I wasn't carrying around a boombox!)

I'm going to order one of these mantis' for my PSVR. If nothing comes out when I get my Rift-S, I'll report if they fit or not lol.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

Now you're backpedaling! Naughty pants 😉

First you argued that Microsoft was a good example of how Support just ends with a forced upgrade. Now that we have some facts (e.g. 10 years of support), you're arguing that Microsoft is so big that they can afford extended Support. This isn't a sing-a-long bro! I don't follow the bouncy ball where ever it goes lol. Extended Support is the norm for many companies for many reasons. And in fact, Rubin explained why Rift-S was released instead of "Rift-S plus a Rift CV2" - due to the fact that it would cost more resources to support all those headsets. They have planned a roadmap for ongoing support of both Rift-S and Rift CV1 in a way that makes it cost-effective. So whatever excuses you're making up don't apply.

Na, but you saying I am only seeing half of what was said - when in
truth - they are only making one headset - the CV1 isnt going to be a
choice after a while.

Yet Support will continue for the foreseeable future, which is what's being discussed.

Their commend is a bit wrong when itll start being a force upgrade with in a year.

I'll hold you to that prediction 😉

No, you are splinting two ideas up like its not a totally plan out thing. Extended support is design to get people off their old platform and onto something new. At the end of the day - if you dont move - you will have to take on the risk for almost everything about that device. MS will not help you out after that time frame. Its not backpedaling, its understanding what the support is meant to do. Along with that, you are arguing about life of support - they give large life times because they are working as a super large platform. Oculus is not. Do you really think it would fly for MS to release Windows 7 and hardware at that time could only support windows 7 with no software upgrade would fly for everyone? Hell no. They would be laugh at and people would be pissss.

Doesnt matter if it was cost effective or not - the idea of saying "You have a choice" when they remove the sell of the CV1 is a lie (really a poor choice of words). You will be force to upgrade. Its as simple as that.

Sure, I will check with Oculus in one year to see if I can still get my headset replace:) If I cant then I win and you will owa me a beer. Correction - I will try every 6 months and see where we are at:) 

@pyroth309 I wasnt talking about you in any of these post. I am not sure where Zen got the idea I was. So far everything youve said I agree.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
Extended support is design to get people off their old platform and onto something new. At the end of the day - if you dont move - you will have to take on the risk for almost everything about that device.

After 10 years, yes. We are barely in the first month of the CV1's plan to start being phased out. You're being too premature with the idea that CV1 support is over.

Along with that, you are arguing about life of support - they give large
life times because they are working as a super large platform. Oculus
is not.

LMAO, there is no concept that only "super large platforms" get ongoing support. It's just called a platform. Oculus has a platform and microsoft has a platform. They support their platforms, regardless of size.

I assure you, that this is happened zero times:

"Okay, we're phasing out our product today. How long should we support it?"

"Well, is the platform large?"

"Sure."

"But is it... SUPER large?"

I do like the scenarios you invent tho, lol.

Doesnt matter if it was cost effective or not - the idea of saying "You
have a choice" when they remove the sell of the CV1 is a lie.

No, that just means that you don't understand what the choice entails.