Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

pyroth309
Visionary

Mradr said:

@pyroth309 I wasnt talking about you in any of these post. I am not sure where Zen got the idea I was. So far everything youve said I agree on so far.

I didn't notice anyway. When you and Zen start going I'm like -

Anonymous
Not applicable

pyroth309 said:

Mradr said:

@pyroth309 I wasnt talking about you in any of these post. I am not sure where Zen got the idea I was. So far everything youve said I agree on so far.

I didn't notice anyway. When you and Zen start going I'm like -

I think I just died from laughter XDD I wish we could super post this:))

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yeah I can tell when @Mradr has rolled up his sleeves for another round of luvin. It gets my juices a flowin'...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Yeah I can tell when @Mradr has rolled up his sleeves for another round of luvin. It gets my juices a flowin'...

Unfortunately I have to go to bed for now XD but I will comment later:)) Take care for tonight. Also, I am going to hold you onto that beer later on:P

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
mfqsvt4c6f1v.jpeg
WAAAGH!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Pretty good video. Pretty much confirmed most of my thoughts. I hope they come through with that over ear attachment, or I'll have to modify it to create my own permanent ones. It has the same shimmy as other halo designs.

Only thing that surprised me is how he was losing tracking close to the cameras. I hope they can fix that over time in software because I don't experience that with my O+.

Slept some hours and went to work - and then 47 new posts  😮 

Trying to get this thread back on track, I really liked the video - it confirmed most of my thoughts - that the tracking isn't quite as good (but it so close that most users probably won't notice the difference), limited god rays, decreasing SDE, sound may be a major issue and he liked the LCD - but he didn't recommend upgrading from the Rift. 

He had the Rift-S for 2 hours, maybe the longest yet. Still I'd like to read reviews after let's say at least 1 week of using the Rift-S with difference apps and games, not just Asgard's Wrath. Could be fun to try it, and it's not that expensive - I'm starting to think I could use both Rift and Rift-S - one for the kids, one for me 😉

And I'd like to hear what happens if ss is cranked up to something like 1.5 - 2.0 - same headroom? Does the Rift-S now look even better?

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Wildt
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

And I'd like to hear what happens if ss is cranked up to something like 1.5 - 2.0 - same headroom? 

Yes - the default render target is the same, so same headroom of course. 
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

Pretty good video. Pretty much confirmed most of my thoughts. I hope they come through with that over ear attachment, or I'll have to modify it to create my own permanent ones. It has the same shimmy as other halo designs.

Only thing that surprised me is how he was losing tracking close to the cameras. I hope they can fix that over time in software because I don't experience that with my O+.

Slept some hours and went to work - and then 47 new posts  😮 

Trying to get this thread back on track, I really liked the video - it confirmed most of my thoughts - that the tracking isn't quite as good (but it so close that most users probably won't notice the difference), limited god rays, decreasing SDE, sound may be a major issue and he liked the LCD - but he didn't recommend upgrading from the Rift. 

He had the Rift-S for 2 hours, maybe the longest yet. Still I'd like to read reviews after let's say at least 1 week of using the Rift-S with difference apps and games, not just Asgard's Wrath. Could be fun to try it, and it's not that expensive - I'm starting to think I could use both Rift and Rift-S - one for the kids, one for me 😉

And I'd like to hear what happens if ss is crancked up to 2.0 - same headroom? Does the Rift-S now look even better?

Don't worry, There was only like 5 good posts.

Yea supersampling is my only question at this point. I've never seen an LCD supersampled. The odyssey is more subtle but you can tell the difference on text.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

RuneSR2 said:

And I'd like to hear what happens if ss is cranked up to something like 1.5 - 2.0 - same headroom? 

Yes - the default render target is the same, so same headroom of course. 

Yeah, but then the 80 Hz should give me like 12% more headroom... Which would be great  B)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

inovator
Consultant

Zenbane said:

trek554 said:
I think you might want to look again instead of spreading nonsense. none of the Rifts can be had for anywhere near 100 bucks so not sure where you are pulling that BS from. maybe you are just looking at the starting bids. the cheapest buy it now CV1 on there is 275 bucks  plus 37 for shipping. that means NONE of the CV1 Rifts can be had for under 300 bucks at this very moment. 

The only one spouting nonsense and BS here is you. Anyone can check Ebay and confirm several Rift's in the $100 range. Like this one:

9wlmf1owiwr7.png

I normally don't buy from e bay but I saw on the 1st page around 16 headsets within a few dollars of $200.00 and higher and 11  priced lower with 102.50 being the lowest. I guess it depends on the condition (scratches and material conditions). If what I saw was bidding it would be interesting to see the average price after bids.