cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Stormland trailer, looks soo good!

LZoltowski
Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXmqHaiQXSQ
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
48 REPLIES 48

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:
While I agree somewhat with the actual aiming being twitch, some games do have a lot of tactics involved that require thinking and headgames. It really depends on the shooter.

It's not just the aiming that requires twitch, it's multiple factors:
  1. Running
  2. Jumping
  3. Dodging/Strafing
  4. Attack Timings
As far as "thinking" and "headgames," it comes down to the same formula. Memorizing the map, playing cat/mouse games, or hiding/stealth.

Once all players on all sides have fully memorized a map and are equally working together competitively (team vs team), the games get quite boring - imo - due to the design flaws of the maps themselves. People know where "not to go" and the entire battle becomes an endurance/patience exercise.

Wildt
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Wildt said:

Zenbane said: So far you haven't said anything to refute my stance. 

Talk about mission impossible. I'm not even gonna try - I've said my bit, and I'll leave it at that :lol:

Well you could have tried to list at one ONE skill, trait, or ability other than "twitch" that you believe must be honed. But you got nothing so far. Here, I'll give you one for free:
  • Map Memorization
Map memorization is key. He who mapinates, dominates.

So if someone don't wanna bother arguing with you, you'll actually step in and do it for them! Awesome! :lol:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

pyroth309 said:
While I agree somewhat with the actual aiming being twitch, some games do have a lot of tactics involved that require thinking and headgames. It really depends on the shooter.

1. Running
  2. Jumping
  3. Dodging/Strafing
  4. Attack Timings
As far as "thinking" and "headgames," it comes down to the same formula. Memorizing the map, playing cat/mouse games, or hiding/stealth.

Once all players on all sides have fully memorized a map and are equally working together competitively (team vs team), the games get quite boring - imo - due to the design flaws of the maps themselves. People know where "not to go" and the entire battle becomes an endurance/patience exercise.

I mean yea, learning the map is always going to be the most important thing you can do to "git gud." Generally the faster paced the game is, the more tactics go out of the window as there's just not enough time to be cerebral. Generally though, as you get up the higher ranks of competition, everyone knows all the "good spots" of the map and it's back to twitch tactics.

As I've gotten older I prefer games with larger maps that allow for more stealthy/tactical games like Arma or Escape from Tarkov. Cat and Mouse can be simple or it can in depth in those types of games.There's more critical decisions you have to make vs a lot of the current popular games where just being a good shot or having fast reflexes will get you out of most jams.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

Zenbane said:

Wildt said:

Talk about mission impossible. I'm not even gonna try - I've said my bit, and I'll leave it at that :lol:

Well you could have tried to list at one ONE skill, trait, or ability other than "twitch" that you believe must be honed. But you got nothing so far. Here, I'll give you one for free:
  • Map Memorization

So if someone don't wanna bother arguing with you, you'll actually step in and do it for them! Awesome! :lol:

Only for you!!
❤️

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:

Zenbane said:

pyroth309 said:

1. Running
  2. Jumping
  3. Dodging/Strafing
  4. Attack Timings

I mean yea, learning the map is always going to be the most important thing you can do to "git gud." Generally the faster paced the game is, the more tactics go out of the window as there's just not enough time to be cerebral. Generally though, as you get up the higher ranks of competition, everyone knows all the "good spots" of the map and it's back to twitch tactics.

As I've gotten older I prefer games with larger maps that allow for more stealthy/tactical games like Arma or Escape from Tarkov. Cat and Mouse can be simple or it can in depth in those types of games.There's more critical decisions you have to make vs a lot of the current popular games where just being a good shot or having fast reflexes will get you out of most jams.

Agreed. On that wagoogie server, I would spend 30 minutes crawling on my belly; just to get behind enemy lines.

I've obsessed with just about every type of gaming genre there is at some point in my life. MMORPG's, Shooters, RTS, puzzlers. And even non-electronic gaming: Risk, Axis n Allies; Magic the Gathering. At the end of the day, after enough obsession, we start to know what it really takes to get good at specific types/genres of games.

When it comes to shooters, while we could break down a few different skills/abilities required to be successful, in the end I think you and I can both agree this this is true: A player can become highly successful just mastering the "twitch" aspect of the game, and ignoring other elements such as map memorization and tactics; while the opposite is not true - a Player who fails at twitch mastery will rarely succeed even if they have mastered map memorization and tactics.

It doesn't mater if you know all the best spots or if you have the best strategies. If you shoot and miss, you give your position away and a twitch master will wtfpwn yo arse every time.

With shooters, master twitch first and everything else is a bonus after.

LZoltowski
Champion
Hi everyone,

Doing a blanket reminder tour of the threads, please get yourselves re-acquainted with the forum rules as it would seem people have suddenly got mass amnesia due to the recent announcements.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/1443/oculus-forum-rules#latest

I don't like to get heavy handed so do me a solid, read the rules.

Thanks.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

pyroth309 said:

Zenbane said:

pyroth309 said:

1. Running
  2. Jumping
  3. Dodging/Strafing
  4. Attack Timings

Agreed. On that wagoogie server, I would spend 30 minutes crawling on my belly; just to get behind enemy lines.

I've obsessed with just about every type of gaming genre there is at some point in my life. MMORPG's, Shooters, RTS, puzzlers. And even non-electronic gaming: Risk, Axis n Allies; Magic the Gathering. At the end of the day, after enough obsession, we start to know what it really takes to get good at specific types/genres of games.

When it comes to shooters, while we could break down a few different skills/abilities required to be successful, in the end I think you and I can both agree this this is true: A player can become highly successful just mastering the "twitch" aspect of the game, and ignoring other elements such as map memorization and tactics; while the opposite is not true - a Player who fails at twitch mastery will rarely succeed even if they have mastered map memorization and tactics.

It doesn't mater if you know all the best spots or if you have the best strategies. If you shoot and miss, you give your position away and a twitch master will wtfpwn yo arse every time.

For the most part I agree with that.  On PC with a mouse, as long as you aren't using some weirdo sensitivity settings, or some strange grip, you should be able to hit basic shots by the time you learn the maps. Knowing the map and the firing lanes is a significant advantage if opponent doesn't. But it also depends on the game and how much damage your character can take. If the twitch guy doesn't get killed on the ambush shot/shots then yea he's going to outplay bad players more times than not. On the flip side, I used to play a game throughout the 2000's called World War 2 Online. The map was 1/2 scale all of Europe and it was combined arms. It was a realistic Battlefield before Battlefield 1942 existed.  You could crawl around for hours and be as sneaky as you wanted to be like real life. In that game, 1 shot with a rifle and your were done unless it was in the arm or leg. It had pretty realistic damage models. Having twitch didn't matter much in that game except in CQB situations in cities and such. There was just too many places snipers/rifles to hide. Knowing the map and being a good aim as it had realistic ballistics and bullet drop mattered more than twitch ability.  Also being able to figure out range from the size of objects was a big factor.

I watch pros get smoked by average Joes daily on Twitch because they get surprised, but, I do agree that you'll have success more often if you have twitch skills in a lot of games.

Wildt
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Wildt said:

Zenbane said:

Wildt said:

• Map Memorization

Only for you!!
❤️

Wildt
Consultant

Zenbane said:

I don't think my team mates from yesterday would agree. I was sure I was on blue and that they sucked.

Anonymous
Not applicable
My face twitches whenever I think about @vannagirl trying to run me over :heartbreak: