Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

inovator said:

RuneSR2 said:

Seems like the girls are super excited :blush: (and it seems like Oculus paid transport and accommodation like Mike from Oasis, so again this may lead to a bias)

https://youtu.be/l1mp2Wv3kj0

OMG this game will be awesome. Oculus! I'll give u 100 dollars more if you send me 1 day delivery now!

I had to stop watching the video - too many spoilers from the game - I prefer to know as little as possible (don't want to ruin any in-game surprises by having seen them first in a pancake video).

Same here, I've only seen the initial trailer, trying not to spoil more than what they're advertising.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Really not sure why I am sticking my beak in but perhaps this is a regional dialect thing? Where I am from if some on tells me (rift in this case) things are going for X amount to me that would mean actual sale price once the hammer drops. If the bidding is not finished then the product is not going for the current price because you can't get it at that price. However it is quite likely where you are from the price it is going for could very well mean current bidding price?

Have you ever attended a live auction? A live bidding?
They literally say this:
Going once, going twice ... sold!

If someone makes a bid before the Auctioneer says "sold" then the price changes (goes up), and it is going for a new price.

In an auction, once the hammer drops it "went for" (past tense) a sale price. That is why I defined "going" and made sure to put the tenses (time) around each phrasing. It is the individual who is placing the bid that changes the price, not the store. What you are describing is a basic store approach. So if you walk in to Best Buy and see a TV for $3,000 then that is how much is "going for" because you can't haggle the price! Since a price is set at a retail store, it's always going for the set sale price.

But at an auction... the price is constantly changing based on the consumer bidding. Which means that the price is always "going for" whatever the latest bid is, and when the "hammer drops" it is automatically sold to the last person who made the bid. Which means it "went for" the last bid price.

ergo,
Going... Going... GONE!

Wildt
Consultant

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Anonymous
Not applicable
@.@ At the end of the day - whatever the headset went for is usually what people mean. How much usually after bidding do people pay for the headset or the price at a retail store.

Keep me out of this though LOL!!! 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

@.@ At the end of the day - whatever the headset went for is usually what people mean.

went for <> going for

Past tense vs present test.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

@.@ At the end of the day - whatever the headset went for is usually what people mean.

went for <> going for

Past tense vs present test.

I said it correctly:) The only thing I would argue about is the fact it is USED and not NEW - so you are taking a big risk if the product doesn't have some wear and tear and or a glitch to the device. A seller would only have to say it was the buyer fault assuming if there was any damage or a glitch. I mean its easy to fight it - but can be a big headache if you are not use to it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
The only thing I would argue about is the fact it is USED and not NEW

Why would you argue that? We're talking about Auctions and wording (e.g. going for). So why introduce a new argument now? lol

The E-Bay Auctions for the Oculus Rift include both USED and NEW products. That was stated very early on in this part of the discussion, and you can easily check E-Bay right now to see it.

Wildt
Consultant
Lets make a poll - what do people think when they read "going for" regarding something being sold continuously on ebay. 
.. But i feel pretty sure @Zenbane will insist we should all learn just English. :lol:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

Lets make a poll - what do people think when they read "going for" regarding something being sold continuously on ebay.

The proof was in the Auction video. They say "going once... going twice..." and then the price changes. No idea what a poll of public opinion will do for your argument since you're simply referring to a logical fallacy anyway: "Appeal to Popularity" lol
https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/40/Appeal-to-Popularity

Wildt said:

.. But i feel pretty sure @Zenbane will insist we should all learn just English. :lol:

Not just English, but learning the Inner Workings of an Auction helps too.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Evri1 shud speek propa Inglish like wot I do innit.