Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

inovator
Consultant
I may just order the quest and hold off on the s until I see exactly what valve has cooking plus reviews. 135 fov and reverb visuals could reverse my decision quick with good reviews.

Anonymous
Not applicable

inovator said:

I may just order the quest and hold off on the s until I see exactly what valve has cooking plus reviews. 135 fov and reverb visuals could reverse my decision quick with good reviews.

I am already plan and setup to get the Quest for now, but I am now thinking about getting a Rift S and Index to test out at the same time. Much like I did with the Vive and CV1 to see witch one I like best. The Reveb out only because of the limited controller tracking for now - but that resolution and PPD would be pretty amazing.

Same @inovator , I think we know enough about the Quest to go ahead with that as our stand-alone option.

Luciferous
Consultant

Happy sixth year on the forum @kojack :smile:

I do not think it is Valve who have rushed the release or stole any thunder, it was Oculus who had to accelerate it's plans as it got wind to Valves imminent launch. Imagine Valve launching something like the above without even the Rift S on the table.

My god 135 FOV. If that is true and the headset turns on, I'm buying it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not think it is Valve who have rushed the release or stole any thunder, it was Oculus who had to accelerate it's plans as it got wind to Valves imminent launch. Imagine Valve launching something like the above without even the Rift S on the table.

My god 135 FOV. If that is true and the headset turns on, I'm buying it.

Its possible xD I mean the Rift S did just like appear out of no where. I mean yea they needed a CV1 replacement - but it does seems a bit weird to release this now instead of around OC.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

What may early Index adopters be able to play on Steam - of great new titles coming out later this year - thus removing all Rift exclusives from the equation. I'm probably forgetting several titles, but if Index is superior to Rift-S, these would probably be the most interesting AA(A) Steam games - to me:

1. Dead Citadel:
https://youtu.be/qMaXJHuwsps

Wow, Undead Citadel looks fantastic! This is going to be one hell of a year for VR.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

edmg
Trustee
Unless Valve subsidize this headset, I'm guessing it will cost a lot more than the Rift. So they'll take the high-end of the market, while Oculus eat up the middle with the Quest and Rift-S.

It's HTC who are really screwed. They have no real technology of their own, so no way to compete with the company that produced their technology.

As for whether I'll buy one, not this year since I'm waiting to build a new PC first, but maybe next year if there's no Rift 2 by then.

Chivas
Expert Protege
After Oculus dashed my hopes with the Rift S,  I now have VR headset with an adjustable IPD to look forward too.   Valve has always developed decent products, but Oculus developed better hardware until now.  I understand there are always trade-offs,  but Oculus really dropped the ball with their software IPD adjustment considering the relatively small sweetspot of VR lenses.   

ShineHunter
Protege

Chivas said:

After Oculus dashed my hopes with the Rift S,  I now have VR headset with an adjustable IPD to look forward too.   Valve has always developed decent products, but Oculus developed better hardware until now.  I understand there are always trade-offs,  but Oculus really dropped the ball with their software IPD adjustment considering the relatively small sweetspot of VR lenses.   

Couldn't agree more except Valve has always developed decent products. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

edmg said:

Unless Valve subsidize this headset, I'm guessing it will cost a lot more than the Rift. So they'll take the high-end of the market, while Oculus eat up the middle with the Quest and Rift-S.

It's HTC who are really screwed. They have no real technology of their own, so no way to compete with the company that produced their technology.

As for whether I'll buy one, not this year since I'm waiting to build a new PC first, but maybe next year if there's no Rift 2 by then.

This is why HTC are abandoning Lighthouse tracking with their new and upcoming HTC Vive Cosmos headset and switching to 4 camera inside out tracking. They're also switching to LCD displays so it's going to be cheaper for them to produce. We don't know the specs of the Cosmos but because they're not forking out a licence fee to Valve every time they sell a headset and because they're using LCDs it should be competitively priced compared to other PC VR inside out tracked headsets. A safe bet would be 600 quid/dollars I think as long as they don't go crazy with the resolution or FOV.

It's going to have worse tracking than the Rift S though and it remains to be seen whether they've implemented finger tracking so the Rift S may have an advantage there too despite their controllers being Touch controller clones.