cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm just wondering if I get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?
288 REPLIES 288

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm currently playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on PS 4 and I'm loving ever minute of it. The game is huge I'm only 15% in with hours of play. I'll play the Metro series next. I'm holding off on playing Resident Evil V in 2D, because as well as a Rift -S, I also plan to get the next PS -VR headset and PS -5. You won't be disappointed if Red Dead Redemption 2 comes to PC, but I'm beginning to doubt it will because the controls seem to be suited to the PS & XBox controller. I'm not sure how it would play just using a Keyboard & Mouse.

kojack
MVP
MVP
I finally got around to starting Exodus today.
I've been playing nothing but Sub Nautica (in VR of course) for the last two weeks, so an FPS on my monitor felt overly flat and narrow for a while. I've adjusted back though.

So far, Exodus feels like a cross between the previous Metros and Stalker. Which is cool, because I love both of those series. Metro 2033 and Last Light were mostly underground, with a little bit of above ground. Stalker is mostly above ground with a little bit of underground. Exodus is leaning towards the Stalker side in that respect. I'm running around a huge outdoors area doing missions, exploring for supplies, etc.
(Side note: if you like Stalker, definitely check out the original novel it is based on: Roadside Picnic. Also the movie Stalker, although first time I watched it I was disappointed. I want to see it again, to see if I appreciate it more).

The money system (military bullets) is gone. So is the mechanic of using money as emergency high power ammo. Instead you gather resources and use the crafting system in your backpack. If you find crafting tables, you can make your own ammo. Extra weapon parts and excess ammo can be broken down into resources.

Combat feels exactly the same as the last games. Knife throwing is still my preferred combat method.

One interesting thing, in the accessibility options there's a setting for quick time events. You can select tap, hold or press (tap is the default). The main quick time event is when a monster grabs you and you have to rapidly tap the use button. I've never seen a game that gives an option to simplify qte.
The game difficulty also has a Reader option, for people who are more interested in the story.

Some of the keyboard config is a little annoying. The medikit button is also the stealth melee kill button. The E button is used to skip cutscenes or start the game after loading a save and can't be rebound.
Most interactions need to be held. Open a door? You have to hold the use button until a circle fills up. Start playing after loading? Fill the circle up. Open a locker? Fill the circle up. It's just a pointless delay on actions that don't need a safety.

Some of the NPCs just won't shut up. A couple of times now I've walked away from NPCs while they were talking because they kept going and going with pointless dialog.

There's a Photo mode. This is a bit like Ansel from Nvidia. It's a free camera (within a limited range of a couple of metres) for screenshots with selectable special effects.

There's a LOT of points where you lose control for short periods. Cutscenes do it of course, but also things like every time you use a door you lose control for the door animation, then have to wait a second for your gun to become available again. Very annoying when entering a room with enemies. Plus it makes you stand up if you were crouching.

For the most part though, it's pretty much more Metro in a bigger open map. Mostly the same enemies so far (one new kind I've found), same guns, same bullet lighter for burning spider webs, same gas mask and flashlight charger mechanics, etc. Runs well, looks great.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

pyroth309
Visionary

kojack said:

So far, Exodus feels like a cross between the previous Metros and Stalker. Which is cool, because I love both of those series. Metro 2033 and Last Light were mostly underground, with a little bit of above ground. Stalker is mostly above ground with a little bit of underground. Exodus is leaning towards the Stalker side in that respect. I'm running around a huge outdoors area doing missions, exploring for supplies, etc.
(Side note: if you like Stalker, definitely check out the original novel it is based on: Roadside Picnic. Also the movie Stalker, although first time I watched it I was disappointed. I want to see it again, to see if I appreciate it more).

That's exactly how I feel about it. I love the old S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games and played them all. Some of 4A games worked on Stalker. Exodus is a good addition to the series and I don't want to spoil anything but lets just say the game will scratch the earlier games itch before its done. It does drag a bit in the middle but it finishes pretty strong. (I may have already mentioned this in this thread and I'm in a hurry. I've talked about METRO to too many people lol)

Speaking of Stalker. GSC (What's left of it) reannounced Stalker 2 again with a 2021 release date. The site has some crazy sounds on it. Most of the devs that worked on stalker went to 4A games and Vostok Games so my expectations are pretty low but I really hope they pull it off.

kojack
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:

Speaking of Stalker. GSC (What's left of it) reannounced Stalker 2 again with a 2021 release date. The site has some crazy sounds on it. Most of the devs that worked on stalker went to 4A games and Vostok Games so my expectations are pretty low but I really hope they pull it off.

I just hope they drop (or rewrite) the X-Ray engine. Stalker was great, but the engine was unstable and things like movement were clunky. The Metro engine is far better.

Then again, just give me a Vintar BC and an anomaly detector and I'll be happy.

Trailer for the 2K remaster of the 1979 movie Stalker, which the game is based on.

The recent movie Annihilation is also inspired by the movie Stalker, but what happens in it is closer to the game.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

Trailer for the 2K remaster of the 1979 movie Stalker, which the game is based on.

Saw the movie in like ... 2007? My wife saw it together with me, to this day she still hasn't forgiven me - she thinks it's by far the worst movie she ever saw  😄 We saw the Russian edition with subtitles  o:)

tr8tyrpfy104.jpg

Some years later I saw the Russian version of Solaris (alone) - I liked that one better than Stalker, but that's a different discussion 😉 The game Stalker is awesome, never got to finish it though - and kinda gave up on the Metro games. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary
I got into Stalker games because I got a free disc of Shadow of Chernobyl with something I bought. I think it was a GPU that it was bundled with. I knew nothing about it and I figured it was just shovelware. I kept staring at the cover and wondering what the hell S.T.A.L.K.E.R. could stand for...searched on it and found out it stood for Scavengers,Trespassers,Adventurers,Loners,Killers,Explorers and Robbers. For some reason that intrigued me and with the title of Chernobyl, I figured it was going to be some post apocalyptic game and it was.

This game is a classic and was a great game for that time period but the engine as @kojack said was trash. It's a free roam shooter and had a great story. The atmosphere was the best part. It's a place so toxic and hostile that most of humanity abandoned it.

Stalker: Clear Sky was just ok to me. The story sucked and I found it tough to play through. It's the weakest of the three games but it was still a pretty good game for that time frame.

Stalker: Call of Pripyat is one of my favorite games period. It was more of a direct sequel to Chernobyl and I felt it improved upon it in gameplay. It also has a great story like Chernobyl did. I've always had an urge to go back and see if I can mod those games with graphics and such and play through them again. 

kojack
MVP
MVP
I've played a heap of Exodus now (not sure how much, the Epic store lacks that info). Not finished, but I'm kind of losing interest. The huge open world maps just aren't as interesting as the linear underground journey in 2033 and Last Light. The second huge map really started to drag. A very bland and repetitive area that just doesn't fit the Metro game style.
The third big area is more visually interesting at least.

Exploring in pitch black underground tunnels with supernatural horror elements is very different to bright sunshine non toxic outdoors fighting bandits.

pyroth309
Visionary

kojack said:

I've played a heap of Exodus now (not sure how much, the Epic store lacks that info). Not finished, but I'm kind of losing interest. The huge open world maps just aren't as interesting as the linear underground journey in 2033 and Last Light. The second huge map really started to drag. A very bland and repetitive area that just doesn't fit the Metro game style.
The third big area is more visually interesting at least.

Exploring in pitch black underground tunnels with supernatural horror elements is very different to bright sunshine non toxic outdoors fighting bandits.

Yep, I lost interest in the Caspian sea area big time. I can't imagine anyone that plays through it will think it belongs in a Metro game. I actually had to take a break and then go back to it because I wasn't feeling it at all. Fortunately the next area is a bit better and then beyond that is great.

Wildt
Consultant
Dang..   none of glowing reviews seem to reflect what you guys are now reporting about Exodus. You guys think it can be patched with a reasonable effort, or is something just plain broken in the design?
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I think it's the open world that is pishing some of them off. I saw a few YouTube reviews with some liking the open world and others not.