cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

Damn, my idea is a little too late, better late than never and definitely better than too soon.

ask my ex

inovator
Consultant

KlodsBrik said:

inovator said:

Does anyone know how well other headsets with revive play rift games?

Just as well as Rift with Steam vr.

Thanks for info. If index is what we would expect rift 2 to have been I'll gladly buy the index instead 

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

inovator said:

Thanks for info. If index is what we would expect rift 2 to have been I'll gladly p

You shouldn't hold it back. That's unhealthy .. lol .. sorry ::smile:
Be good, die great !

phoenixdigital
Heroic Explorer

snowdog said:

The Rift S lenses have quite a large sweet spot apparently and the adjustable range of IPD available is from 58mm-72mm which covers something like 95% of the population. Someone from either UploadVR or Road To VR tried the Rift S with an IPD of 72mm and didn't experience any problems.

Oculus were good enough to supply Road To VR with the recommended ranges for all their headsets. 
  • Rift
    • Adjustable lens IPD: 58–72mm
    • “Best for users between 56mm and 74mm”
  • Rift S
    • Fixed lens IPD: 63.5mm
    • “Best for users between 61.5 and 65.5mm
  • Go
    • Fixed lens IPD: 63.5mm
    • “Best for users between 61.5 and 65.5mm
  • Quest
    • Adjustable lens IPD: 58–72mm
    • “Best for users between 56mm and 74mm”
Ref: https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-supported-ipd-range-fov-quest-go/

Rift-S will still work outside of those ranges but until we get a lot of real world tests done we wont know how comfortable it will be for everyone. I'm actually very impressed that Oculus were open and honest about this as well. I had expected them to never talk about comfortable ranges they supported.

If the Index offers a decent upgrade option to my CV1 I'll take a step away from the Oculus ecosystem for a while. I'm more than happy to come back when Oculus release something a bit more substantial than a side-grade for PC. Rift-S was never really designed as an upgrade for CV1 users but for new users without obscenely out of norm IPD ranges it will be great.

CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port

Sandcracka
Adventurer
I inverted the picture.  You can see 3 additional sensor locations in the middle.  Also you can see some "slotted" openings somewhere under the front face shield.7xkxmdht65w9.jpg

pyroth309
Visionary
That is an interesting take that it could be Oculus that rushed. Perhaps the Valve HMD leak in November scared them. Valve takes so long to do anything that they were able to beat them out of the gate forcing Valve to release marketing early. I like competition lol.  

pyroth309
Visionary

I inverted the picture.  You can see 3 additional sensor locations in the middle.  Also you can see some "slotted" openings somewhere under the front face shield.7xkxmdht65w9.jpg

Yea when I zoomed in on the other lightened picture, it looks like they're under the cover piece. I just zoomed in again and it has like material/cloth or something in the slots.

phoenixdigital
Heroic Explorer

I inverted the picture.  You can see 3 additional sensor locations in the middle.  Also you can see some "slotted" openings somewhere under the front face shield.

I suspect they might be IR LEDs to illuminate objects close to the headset (like hands) which will make it easier for hand tracking algorithms.
CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port

ShocksVR
Superstar

pyroth309 said:

They did a good job on his likeness.

Hey!

**EDIT**
Regarding the Index, Heaney was pretty spot on with his Oculus sources and nailing down the specs before it was revealed.  If the Index is the "Vive Pro" resolution but over 135 FOV, even with RGB stripe LCD, the Screen Door Effect would probably still be very noticeable.
Also, according to Abrash at OC5, fresnel lenses have a limit of around 140 degrees before they start having significant image distortions (ie: refer to Pimax). That's probably why its a 135 fov (making Valve News Network (terrible name) a less reliable source since they're saying 150 fov)

So if the Valve Index is a higher fov but lower clarity headset than the Oculus Rift-S, then the RIft-S still has a place.
I think in the end, it may be justified to get both headsets. That way you get the both of Oculus content and Valve content.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

pyroth309
Visionary

Hey!

Lol, I never even noticed that you were using Giorgio for a profile pic.