Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

pyroth309
Visionary

**EDIT**
Regarding the Index, Heaney was pretty spot on with his Oculus sources and nailing down the specs before it was revealed.  If the Index is the "Vive Pro" resolution but over 135 FOV, even with RGB stripe LCD, the Screen Door Effect would probably still be very noticeable.
Also, according to Abrash at OC5, fresnel lenses have a limit of around 140 degrees before they start having significant image distortions (ie: refer to Pimax). That's probably why its a 135 fov (making Valve News Network (terrible name) a less reliable source since they're saying 150 fov)

So if the Valve Index is a higher fov but lower clarity headset than the Oculus Rift-S, then the RIft-S still has a place.
I think in the end, it may be justified to get both headsets. That way you get the both of Oculus content and Valve content.

This is why I was saying I could see people still favoring the Reverb for Simming or people who just want the sharpest image possible. There's no way a 135 FoV Vive pro equivalent screen is going to be as sharp and clear as a 2160x2160 115 FoV LCD RGB headset. At the same time, I can't really imagine the screen being much higher than that or they will exclude a lot of potential buyers. 

That being said, there was a patent Valve filed that was for the mitigation of screen door effect in head mounted displays. So perhaps screen door may not be much of an issue. I'll copy an explanation from Virtual Reality reddit. 

This is pretty straight-forward. This one is talking about using a microlens display in between the lens and the users eye in order to reduce the screen door effect. As far as I understand it, it's like having an array of tiny magnifying glasses so that you'll see more of the pixels and less of the space in between the pixels. It differs from the diffusion filter used in the Odyssey+, as that was placed between the panels and the lens, not between the lens and your eyes (as this patent is about). It probably also wouldn't reduce the sharpness of the display, as I understand it.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/bf/4b/b8/bb8f5a213325d5/US20180038996A1.pdf

Here's the rest of his post and the other patents that were filed. Some interesting ones in there for sure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/b7ceyg/valve_patents_speculation_about_the_index_hm...

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Deleted.

trek554
Adventurer
if this was already posted then  my apologies...

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b7jp2i/heres_the_now_deleted_video_from_gdc_describing/
WIN 11 | 13700KF | MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI | G.SKILL 64GB 6400MHZ CL32 | GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | SEASONIC FOCUS GX-1000

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

trek554 said:

That sounds impressive the hand and leg tracking I mean. I guess we know why the camera's are pointing down now. They never spoke about the image though which is the most important thing. Neither did they say how good the tracking was. Even though they only had 5 mins they could have determined how good the image and tracking was to some degree, but they mentioned neither.

Edit: I just realised why they didn't mention the above. I don't think their allowed to say anything about these things.

CrashFu
Consultant

trek554 said:

Assuming, for the sake of discussion, that any of the statements made in that video are true...

Just the thought of the index being a system based around ditching all hand controllers and using Leap Motion style hand (and feet) tracking for gameplay?  That, I'd like to see.  Not own, because I doubt you could ever make visual hand-tracking precise and accurate enough (and allow for varied enough game input) to play serious games with it.. but I bet people would make some entertaining mixed-reality videos with it.  Valve might also dominate the VR chatroom sector, but I'm too much of an introvert to care about those, anyways. :tongue:

OR, assuming that everything in the above video WAS false, here's my alternate theory:

When Valve says "Upgrade your experience"  they mean the Index is literally an upgrade kit for other VR devices.   (Adds a physical slider onto the bottom of Rift-S that remotely controls the software IPD adjustment)  :lol:
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

pyroth309
Visionary
trek554 said:

I've never seen it if it was. Very interesting stuff if true. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

CrashFu said:

trek554 said:

Assuming, for the sake of discussion, that any of the statements made in that video are true...

Just the thought of the index being a system based around ditching all hand controllers and using Leap Motion style hand (and feet) tracking for gameplay?  

I think the way the guy in the video was speaking about legs and hand tracking. He made it sound like it blows Leap Motion out of the water.

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

CrashFu said:

trek554 said:

Just the thought of the index being a system based around ditching all hand controllers and using Leap Motion style hand (and feet) tracking for gameplay?  

I think the way the guy in the video was speaking about legs and hand tracking. He made it sound like it blows Leap Motion out of the water.

I thought it was interesting that they said it was much smaller than a Pimax in size too so to be able to track your body is a headscratcher for me. But, I don't think many ever questioned the ingenuity of Valve, it's always been their ability to see their ideas through to fruition.  

CrashFu
Consultant

pyroth309 said:.

I thought it was interesting that they said it was much smaller than a Pimax in size too so to be able to track your body is a headscratcher for me. But, I don't think many ever questioned the ingenuity of Valve, it's always been their ability to see their ideas through to fruition.  

Yeah, like Greenlight! And the Steam Machine! And those Steam gamepads! And Oculus Rift support in various Source games! And content for the Vive! And Half-Life 3!

... Wait, has Valve EVER seen any of their projects OR products through? :grimace:
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

pyroth309
Visionary

CrashFu said:

pyroth309 said:.

Yeah, like Greenlight! And the Steam Machine! And those Steam gamepads! And Oculus Rift support in various Source games! And content for the Vive! And Half-Life 3!

... Wait, has Valve EVER seen any of their projects OR products through? :grimace:

Well the steam controller is still around and it's an actual product so might have to take that one off but otherwise yea pretty much. It's love/hate for sure but there's a lot of people that swear by the Steam controller because of the Gyro. It's actually viable in competitive fps play with mice.