Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, I love my steam controller, it is the only controller that can come very close to KB/M in games, no need for (vomit) aim assist.

pyroth309
Visionary

geebee666 said:

Yep, I love my steam controller, it is the only controller that can come very close to KB/M in games, no need for (vomit) aim assist.

Yea my only complaint about it is I wish it had a proper D-pad then I would have used it more. I prefer my Xbox Elite to it but I don't play FPS with my elite lol. 

Wildt
Consultant
I hear good things about the steam link too. Bought one on sale, and it's still in the box?
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

trek554 said:

I've never seen it if it was. Very interesting stuff if true. 

They are stating that the video is false and just made for fun. Which may of course be true. But I don't think it's funny - most of their info about the fov (big, "but not as big as Pimax" - "twice as big as Rift-S") seems to fit what we know about the prototype rather perfectly. And the HMD's name correctly starts with "Valve" like they say. 
And the NDA until "end of April" (=May, as it said in the official pic from Valve) fits too - and the Steam Dev Days that might come back doesn't sound too far-fetched. 

So did these guys just break the NDA (which they may not have signed, but still could have consequences) and told us about the revolutionary tracking of hands and feet with no need for controllers due to downward-facing cameras? That would indeed be perfect for Doom VFR, where walking previously has been supported, for example like this - so Valve may have spent some time on this already:

https://youtu.be/UP2F5VdYY3A

If the NDA was broken, if I was these guys, I too would definitely also subtract all statements made in the video. The way I see it, the video contains a lot of info that seems to check out perfectly, and the revolutionary stuff doesn't seem too unbelievable. 

Image result for i want to believe

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
I feel they are doing damage control in that subreddit denying they knew anything and the video was just for fun.
Be good, die great !

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Also the Rift can already track my index fingers and my thumbs to some degree (contracting/extending), which I always found incredibly cool - going from that to the whole hand and two feet doesn't sound completely impossible - and would indeed be a true next step in VR immersion.  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kojack
MVP
MVP

I inverted the picture.  You can see 3 additional sensor locations in the middle.  Also you can see some "slotted" openings somewhere under the front face shield.

I suspect they might be IR LEDs to illuminate objects close to the headset (like hands) which will make it easier for hand tracking algorithms.

They are in the same position as the 3 IR LEDs on the Leap Motion.

Happy sixth year on the forum @kojack :smile:

Thanks. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

ShineHunter
Protege
The biggest issue is that we know hardly nothing about the new Valve headset. I can't be wanting it till then plus I need to know if they got those god rays and SDE issues with the Vive/Pro sorted out as well. Also the price I can't afford 1k price tags. I would be one of these Pimax peeps if I could. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Hmmmm, I'm not a native English speaker, but I did go to school for many years - here's my shot at interpreting the name:

lzqd7453xlrc.jpg

If my understanding is correct, "Index" basically means "Reference". So Valve is producing a reference device and thereby setting a new standard that future HMDs will be compared to - and measured against.

Yup, "I want to believe"  😉  

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Im hyped for sure, love the adrenaline rush !
 But the most likely outcome is we will get dissapointed.. lol
q433dq6gwnnf.jpg
Be good, die great !