Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea I'm sure there's some meaning like that behind it. My problem with Index is it's just too common of a word and will probably be confusing to Non-Vr people unless you say Valve Index,,, and even then they might think you're talking about a file index or a book index lol.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Yea I'm sure there's some meaning like that behind it. My problem with Index is it's just too common of a word and will probably be confusing to Non-Vr people unless you say Valve Index,,, and even then they might think you're talking about a file index or a book index lol.

Fully agree - maybe I should contact them and suggest a better name like "The Valve Portal" - then we could have Portal vs. Rift  😄 Index may mean a lot of different things and does seem like a rather confusing/perplexing name. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
No doubt I'll be put off by the price of the valve headset. But say this did have hand and finger tracking then how would you play current games like Onward? Would you have to just hope the dev implements finger tracking into their games? I actually like holding controllers when it requires me to do certain things, like pull the trigger on a riffle etc.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

No doubt I'll be put off by the price of the valve headset. But say this did have hand and finger tracking then how would you play current games like Onward? Would you have to just hope the dev implements finger tracking into their games? I actually like holding controllers when it requires me to do certain things, like pull the trigger on a riffle etc.

My guess would be that you'd get the Knuckles to ensure compatibility - and if there's controller-free tracking of fingers and feet it may be optional and primarily for future games and apps. Holding a weapon with no weight in your hand(s) may indeed feel quite weird... maybe...

Next thing up - wrist metal bracelets and giant magnets (with modifiable force field) in the floor - so you truly can feel the weight of the BFG!  B)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Lighthouse compatibility have been confirmed, so controllers will offcourse work as well. And yes, if they have handtracking as an option devs would have to code it for it to work.

Be good, die great !

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

My guess would be that you'd get the Knuckles to ensure compatibility - and if there's controller-free tracking of fingers and feet it may be optional and primarily for future games and apps. 

Which all adds to the cost I guess. I'm just pleased to know that I'll definitely be getting a new VR headset with no more godrays and a bump in resolution Yheeeee Haaaaa.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I have a feeling that although we're now focusing on the Valve Index, the hardware may not turn out to be the biggest surprise - maybe it'll be the supposedly 3 games arriving together with the Index (although I can't imagine anything being better than Lone Echo 2 or Stormland). To beat Lone Echo 2 it may indeed require support for fingers and feet  B)  

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Diablo Immortal would unfortunately sell like crazy with cardboxVR , youre right 😞
Be good, die great !

ParadoxAnomaly
Expert Protege
3ebp85or6rtm.gif

Anonymous
Not applicable

KlodsBrik said:

Im hyped for sure, love the adrenaline rush !
 But the most likely outcome is we will get dissapointed.. lol
q433dq6gwnnf.jpg

Reminds me of Falling Down and the excellent McDonalds scene (yes, I know it isn't a McDonalds place by name but we know what it's supposed to be lol) 😄

One of my favourite films, I might have to watch that again now!