New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,994 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea I'm sure there's some meaning like that behind it. My problem with Index is it's just too common of a word and will probably be confusing to Non-Vr people unless you say Valve Index,,, and even then they might think you're talking about a file index or a book index lol.
     Fully agree - maybe I should contact them and suggest a better name like "The Valve Portal" - then we could have Portal vs. Rift  :D Index may mean a lot of different things and does seem like a rather confusing/perplexing name. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,780 Valuable Player
    No doubt I'll be put off by the price of the valve headset. But say this did have hand and finger tracking then how would you play current games like Onward? Would you have to just hope the dev implements finger tracking into their games? I actually like holding controllers when it requires me to do certain things, like pull the trigger on a riffle etc.

edited March 31
    RedRizla said:
    No doubt I'll be put off by the price of the valve headset. But say this did have hand and finger tracking then how would you play current games like Onward? Would you have to just hope the dev implements finger tracking into their games? I actually like holding controllers when it requires me to do certain things, like pull the trigger on a riffle etc.

My guess would be that you'd get the Knuckles to ensure compatibility - and if there's controller-free tracking of fingers and feet it may be optional and primarily for future games and apps. Holding a weapon with no weight in your hand(s) may indeed feel quite weird... maybe...

Next thing up - wrist metal bracelets and giant magnets (with modifiable force field) in the floor - so you truly can feel the weight of the BFG!  B)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    Lighthouse compatibility have been confirmed, so controllers will offcourse work as well. And yes, if they have handtracking as an option devs would have to code it for it to work.

Be good, die great !
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:

My guess would be that you'd get the Knuckles to ensure compatibility - and if there's controller-free tracking of fingers and feet it may be optional and primarily for future games and apps. 

Which all adds to the cost I guess. I'm just pleased to know that I'll definitely be getting a new VR headset with no more godrays and a bump in resolution Yheeeee Haaaaa.
    I have a feeling that although we're now focusing on the Valve Index, the hardware may not turn out to be the biggest surprise - maybe it'll be the supposedly 3 games arriving together with the Index (although I can't imagine anything being better than Lone Echo 2 or Stormland). To beat Lone Echo 2 it may indeed require support for fingers and feet  B)  

Wintermute
    Diablo Immortal would unfortunately sell like crazy with cardboxVR , youre right :(
    Be good, die great !
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,160 Valuable Player
    KlodsBrik said:
    Im hyped for sure, love the adrenaline rush !
     But the most likely outcome is we will get dissapointed.. lol

Reminds me of Falling Down and the excellent McDonalds scene (yes, I know it isn't a McDonalds place by name but we know what it's supposed to be lol) :D

One of my favourite films, I might have to watch that again now!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    According to this article we are just going to hear about it in May.

https://kotaku.com/valve-teases-new-vr-headset-more-info-coming-in-may-1833691899
    edited March 31
    And some more speculations about the naming - index .. lenses...:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b7nad2/redditectives_have_almost_certainly_figured_out/

Image result for index lenses vision

Hmmmmm....

Image result for index lenses vision

Image result for wondering animated gif

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited March 31
    At least now we know what Index is.
    pyroth309 said:

Maybe - I'm looking forward to hear it from Valve. 

edited March 31
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

Maybe - I'm looking forward to hear it from Valve. 
    I think the evidence is too strong given the patents and the logo. Look at the Logo again, it's a user behind two lenses. I guess the name will make sense when the marketing starts.

• SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    After adjusting the lighting a bit more you can see that the front face plate is certainly semi translucent.  There appears to be a couple more sensors behind the face plate?

edited March 31
    After adjusting the lighting a bit more you can see that the front face plate is certainly semi translucent.  There appears to be a couple more sensors behind the face plate?

edited March 31
    Someone mentioned that the centers of the green rings (see below) probably are for outside-in tracking - and that the cameras in the front have bad angles for inside-out tracking and therefore may be pass-through cameras or for controller-free hand tracking.

This guessing game is so much fun! - It'll be so boring when Valve provides us with the correct answers!  :D

Well, by then there's probably a new upcoming super-secret HMD to explore  ;)

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,121 Valuable Player
    Can't wait for cv6 it will be the size of eye glasses l. Cv10 will be implanted in your brain.
    The big reveal I'm waiting for is the price. Unless Valve have had a change of heart it's going to be expensive. Or maybe HTC caused the other headsets to be expensive. Will this have HTC displays in it or is that partnership over?
    edited March 31
    RuneSR2 said:
    This guessing games is so much fun! - It'll be so boring when Valve provides us with the correct answers!  :D

Well, by then there's probably a new upcoming super-secret HMD to explore  ;)
    Yea I've enjoyed wondering. I don't wear glasses and have never done any work with lenses other than use rifle scopes and look through VR hmds lol. I never would have figured out Index. It makes sense now.
    RedRizla said:
    The big reveal I'm waiting for is the price. Unless Valve have had a change of heart it's going to be expensive. Or maybe HTC caused the other headsets to be expensive. Will this have HTC displays in it or is that partnership over?

Valve knows they're up against the Rift-S, maybe the Index is more expensive, but I'd be surprised to see the Index go beyond $599. 2c... 

edited March 31
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:

Valve knows they're up against the Rift-S, maybe the Index is more expensive, but I'd be surprised to see the Index go beyond $599. 2c... 
    Thread I was referring to was deleted so was probably fake, n/m

Yea I don't know how I feel about cost. I'm also not going to assume features because there seems to be a lot of shady info circulating so depending on what's actually in it, I feel like there's a big range it could go for. I'm going to treat it like a Vive with base stations until it's confirmed diffferent lol.
    I guess there're interesting options:

1. Get Rift-S, sell Rift. 
    2. Keep Rift, get Index. Connect both to the same PC.  
    3. Get Rift-S, get Index too, sell Rift. Connect both to same PC. 
    4. Get Index, sell Rift. 
    5. Keep Rift. 

etc. 

Option 4 won't work for me. Right now I'm starting to like option 2 for a start that could turn into option 3... If the Index is what I hope it'll be...

My amount of first world problems seem to increase every day!  :#

RuneSR2 said:

4. Get Index, sell Rift. 
    5. Keep Rift. 

etc. 

Option 4 won't work for me. Right now I'm starting to like option 2 for a start that could turn into option 3... If the Index is what I hope it'll be...

Yea I'm still in wait and see mode. I jumped in beat saber this morning and ran into a couple of songs that caused me to stay outside of the cameras too long and lose tracking. I switched to my Rift and one of my sensors keeps randomly disconnecting...causing me to lose tracking. First world problems indeed.

Right now I'm in the option 6 camp which is buy a Quest and see if the Index can completely make the S unnecessary or not in the meantime.
    edited March 31
    r/ValveIndex is born:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/

Some nice stuff from my first sightseeing tour:

The Index
    "Systems and methods for providing optical systems which utilize double Fresnel lenses on curved surfaces for use with display systems ... used with head mounted display ( HMD ) systems . The optical systems disclosed herein may implement multiplexing or blending to provide a smooth profile transition and reduce aberrations between zones or fields ... An optical system for a micro display is provided which utilizes double Fresnel lenses on curved surfaces to shorten the focal length while maintaining a good shape factor for moldability and aberration control"

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/bf/96/3e/a6a94ed8109fd1/US20180081092A1.pdf

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,811 Valuable Player
    There is no way a professional marketing team would call this the "Valve Index." That's why I don't believe it will be out in May. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,811 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:

4. Get Index, sell Rift. 
    5. Keep Rift. 

etc. 

I'm probably going to opt for #2. 

Since getting the 2080ti and cranking up the supersampling on all my games, the sde just doesn't bother me as much. So, I'll play Oculus games on my Rift with high ss and play everything else on my Index. 

But option #3 sounds tempting.
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,160 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:

I think the high prices of the Vive and Vive Pro is partly down to HTC desperately needing every penny they can get to stay afloat and partly down to licence fees that they need to pay HTC for licensing their Lighthouse tracking system.

And it's more likely to have Samsung displays in it, I don't think ANY headset manufacturer has had HTC displays in them as far as I know.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Wintermute
    edited March 31
    snowdog said:
    Reminds me of Falling Down and the excellent McDonalds scene (yes, I know it isn't a McDonalds place by name but we know what it's supposed to be lol) :D

One of my favourite films, I might have to watch that again now!
    Oh my ... Falling Down. One of my favorite movies for sure.
     That scene is hillarious !

You should all watch it !!

Be good, die great !
  • SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    pyroth309 said:

Ahh....that would explain the blue hands!
This discussion has been closed.