Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:
This guessing games is so much fun! - It'll be so boring when Valve provides us with the correct answers!  😄

Well, by then there's probably a new upcoming super-secret HMD to explore  😉

Yea I've enjoyed wondering. I don't wear glasses and have never done any work with lenses other than use rifle scopes and look through VR hmds lol. I never would have figured out Index. It makes sense now.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

The big reveal I'm waiting for is the price. Unless Valve have had a change of heart it's going to be expensive. Or maybe HTC caused the other headsets to be expensive. Will this have HTC displays in it or is that partnership over?

Valve knows they're up against the Rift-S, maybe the Index is more expensive, but I'd be surprised to see the Index go beyond $599. 2c... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

The big reveal I'm waiting for is the price. Unless Valve have had a change of heart it's going to be expensive. Or maybe HTC caused the other headsets to be expensive. Will this have HTC displays in it or is that partnership over?

Valve knows they're up against the Rift-S, maybe the Index is more expensive, but I'd be surprised to see the Index go beyond $599. 2c... 

Thread I was referring to was deleted so was probably fake, n/m

Yea I don't know how I feel about cost. I'm also not going to assume features because there seems to be a lot of shady info circulating so depending on what's actually in it, I feel like there's a big range it could go for. I'm going to treat it like a Vive with base stations until it's confirmed diffferent lol.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I guess there're interesting options:

1. Get Rift-S, sell Rift. 
2. Keep Rift, get Index. Connect both to the same PC.  
3. Get Rift-S, get Index too, sell Rift. Connect both to same PC. 
4. Get Index, sell Rift. 
5. Keep Rift. 

etc. 

Option 4 won't work for me. Right now I'm starting to like option 2 for a start that could turn into option 3... If the Index is what I hope it'll be...

My amount of first world problems seem to increase every day!  :#

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

4. Get Index, sell Rift. 
5. Keep Rift. 

etc. 

Option 4 won't work for me. Right now I'm starting to like option 2 for a start that could turn into option 3... If the Index is what I hope it'll be...

Yea I'm still in wait and see mode. I jumped in beat saber this morning and ran into a couple of songs that caused me to stay outside of the cameras too long and lose tracking. I switched to my Rift and one of my sensors keeps randomly disconnecting...causing me to lose tracking. First world problems indeed.

Right now I'm in the option 6 camp which is buy a Quest and see if the Index can completely make the S unnecessary or not in the meantime.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
r/ValveIndex is born:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/

Some nice stuff from my first sightseeing tour:

ym1aaxl2xcx6.jpg

The Index
"Systems and methods for providing optical systems which utilize double Fresnel lenses on curved surfaces for use with display systems ... used with head mounted display ( HMD ) systems . The optical systems disclosed herein may implement multiplexing or blending to provide a smooth profile transition and reduce aberrations between zones or fields ... An optical system for a micro display is provided which utilizes double Fresnel lenses on curved surfaces to shorten the focal length while maintaining a good shape factor for moldability and aberration control"

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/bf/96/3e/a6a94ed8109fd1/US20180081092A1.pdf

https://youtu.be/nsQLwWaFAh4

https://youtu.be/sjTiJmLNdNs

MowTin
Expert Trustee
There is no way a professional marketing team would call this the "Valve Index." That's why I don't believe it will be out in May. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

4. Get Index, sell Rift. 
5. Keep Rift. 

etc. 

I'm probably going to opt for #2. 

Since getting the 2080ti and cranking up the supersampling on all my games, the sde just doesn't bother me as much. So, I'll play Oculus games on my Rift with high ss and play everything else on my Index. 

But option #3 sounds tempting.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I think the high prices of the Vive and Vive Pro is partly down to HTC desperately needing every penny they can get to stay afloat and partly down to licence fees that they need to pay HTC for licensing their Lighthouse tracking system.

And it's more likely to have Samsung displays in it, I don't think ANY headset manufacturer has had HTC displays in them as far as I know.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

snowdog said:

Reminds me of Falling Down and the excellent McDonalds scene (yes, I know it isn't a McDonalds place by name but we know what it's supposed to be lol) 😄

One of my favourite films, I might have to watch that again now!

Oh my ... Falling Down. One of my favorite movies for sure.
 That scene is hillarious !

You should all watch it !!
https://youtu.be/-eREiQhBDIk

Be good, die great !