Condescension of the pandering and pacifying variety(a.k.a. the badge system) — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Condescension of the pandering and pacifying variety(a.k.a. the badge system)

lindseymccarthylindseymccarthy Posts: 2
NerveGear
In case there is anyone else of the same mind, I thought I would add my feedback regarding the forum badge system. I just joined, an hour ago, and can't understate how much I don't care about a forum achievement system. It seems silly at the very least, and condescending at most. If active members have high engagement and do well to help other members, they will naturally be respected and become popular; you don't need a boy-scout rank system for that, it just happens.

That said, I appreciate this forum and look forward to having some questions answered.

Comments

• MikeFMikeF Posts: 636
    Neo
    edited March 31
    then just dont worry about it
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,247 Volunteer Moderator
    As @MikeF said, don't worry about it mate. It means nothing. Years ago we had a poster of the week program and we could win a tshirt and they became very sought after. We will help you with anything Oculus related on this forum but sadly cannot help with any boy scout badges ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    I think it's a combination of "Achievements for the sake of achievements"  and a relic from a previous era, when forum users who earned the most points in a given week were crowned with a special title.  And a T-shirt.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,943 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm beginning to think my T-Shirt is a bit condescending now.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,984 Valuable Player
    I think that this should be moved to the off topic forum.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    edited March 31

On a serious note, it means nothing. 
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,187
    Wintermute
    One can grind for lol awesome or like's. But one won't get those if they are rude to the community.
     Also what does achievements matter?
     Welcome btw. Let yourself loose ! :love:

Be good, die great !
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,908 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:

On a serious note, it means nothing. 

Bollocks!!!!!!!!one11one

I have the fourth biggest e-peen on here. It means EVERYTHING!!!

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    Techy111 said:
    As @MikeF said, don't worry about it mate. It means nothing. Years ago we had a poster of the week program and we could win a tshirt and they became very sought after. We will help you with anything Oculus related on this forum but sadly cannot help with any boy scout badges ;)
    Still waiting for my t-shirt to arrive. hahahahahahahaha..
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,582 Volunteer Moderator
    I’ve got 31 badges. Did I win?
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    I've long lusted after Cyber's and Kojack's Combo Breakers (that's not a euphemism).
    Impossible to get if you didn't get it early on.

Still, these things aren't important. :|
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 492
    Trinity
    ^^No one is touching those.................yes i know, a poor choice of words. lol
    vannagirl said:
    Techy111 said:
    For the English people here, I got a blue Peter badge !!!!!

What about a Jim will fix it one??
    Ah, went form being a dodgy uncle type figure to something entirely worse.

Something akin to Uncle Joe Stalin.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,359 Volunteer Moderator
    nalex66 said:
    I’ve got 31 badges. Did I win?
    I've got 32. :)

I've long lusted after Cyber's and Kojack's Combo Breakers (that's not a euphemism).

100 people have that badge. The more rare one is the 6th year anniversary, only 8 of us have that. Not even Cybereality has it, he joined the forum a month before me, but hasn't logged on (with that account) for 4 months.

You're just trying to make me doubly lustful aren't you @kojack?

I wasn't expecting to type those words.

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 861
    3Jane
    I got the 100 LOL's badge today...

Then I had to go count how many badges I had because of this thread :blush:   I've got half as many as @kojack ; :wink:
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 492
    Trinity
    "Badges, We have no badges,  we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
    I've only got 29 badges :(

But I'm still number 4 in the all time bestest posterers in the world list  so there!!!  B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

But I'm still number 4 in the all time bestest posterers in the world list  so there!!!  B)

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 861
    3Jane
    snowdog said:

So good you had to tell us twice?
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,756 Volunteer Moderator
    This seems to be a drive-by thread .. altho I do appreciate the feedback, I think the point has been made.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
This discussion has been closed.