Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

pyroth309
Visionary

pyroth309 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/b7vcow/new_icon_for_valve_index/

Someone captured the Index Icon. That's only showing the two forward cameras, knuckles and light house 2.0. 

I'm really hoping the Valve Index will have hybrid tracking. 

I'm skeptical that it willl based on how the cameras are installed. Unless there's some other trickery Valve is using, the tracking coverage will be quite poor with the way the cameras are. I think it's for passthrough and maybe some AR. 

pyroth309
Visionary
Also, I should note that its' April 1st now, I'm skeptical to believe anything that comes out today lol. 

pyroth309
Visionary
There is one last thing and I'm done reading news for the day . 

This guy did a bunch of digging on those prototype shots and discovered some interesting things. He found  BOE and JDI markings. BOE has been pushing flexible screens. IE phones that can fold the screen in half to double as a tablet when you unfold it. JDI has been specializing in curved screen tech.

He also zoomed in and noticed that it's using Slimport ANX7530 HD receiver from Analogix which states that it supports 4 lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 at up to HBR 2.5 speeds meaning the Index will have 27Gbps of bandwidth. A single 4k 60hz screen requires about 12 Gbps for reference possibly indicating high res screens. The pimax 5k+ has two 2560x1440 displays at 90hz and require 7.4Gbps each.
He also pretty much confirmed Dual Fresnel lenses. 

Given the amount of tech in this thing, Valve would probably have to subsidize a hefty amount for this thing to even be 700 bucks. It's looking like Rift-S is going to be the entry level and Valve is going to destroy the top end for now. 

There's a lot more info here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/b7x7ws/some_more_valve_index_findings/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

This guy did a bunch of digging on those prototype shots and discovered some interesting things. He found  BOE and JDI markings. BOE has been pushing flexible screens. IE phones that can fold the screen in half to double as a tablet when you unfold it. JDI has been specializing in curved screen tech.

He also zoomed in and noticed that it's using Slimport ANX7530 HD receiver from Analogix which states that it supports 4 lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 at up to HBR 2.5 speeds meaning the Index will have 27Gbps of bandwidth. A single 4k 60hz screen requires about 12 Gbps for reference possibly indicating high res screens. The pimax 5k+ has two 2560x1440 displays at 90hz and require 7.4Gbps each.

Given the amount of tech in this thing, Valve would probably have to subsidize a hefty amount for this thing to even be 700 bucks. It's looking like Rift-S is going to be the entry level and Valve is going to destroy the top end for now. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/b7x7ws/some_more_valve_index_findings/

Agreed, Knuckles and lighthouses look expensive too, I might have to up my estimate of 599. Then again, MS and Sony initially lose money on each new generation of consoles, but I'm not sure Valve is ready to play that game... Oculus has learned their lesson producing expensive HMDs, HTC seems struggling to get it... Interesting what Valve will do...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Dilip
Rising Star
I hope  VALVE will not make sour the deal with Horrendous HTC like pricing. I really can't find the reason to buy HTC Vive Focus neither against Quest nor even Go, even Focus Plus.

Dilip
Rising Star

snowdog said:

KlodsBrik said:

Im hyped for sure, love the adrenaline rush !
 But the most likely outcome is we will get dissapointed.. lol
q433dq6gwnnf.jpg

Reminds me of Falling Down and the excellent McDonalds scene (yes, I know it isn't a McDonalds place by name but we know what it's supposed to be lol) 😄

One of my favourite films, I might have to watch that again now!

Please see link below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRRUgI_iUXI

What you see in advertisement actually cant eat..(its way beyond human consumption quality) 

pyroth309
Visionary

Dilip said:

I hope  VALVE will not make sour the deal with Horrendous HTC like pricing. I really can't find the reason to buy HTC Vive Focus neither against Quest nor even Go, even Focus Plus.

My main thing about headsets is the Value. Is what you are giving me worth the cost? So far, if all of this speculation is true, it's going to have to be pretty pricy for me not to grab it lol. I'm hoping it's not Vive Pro crazy is all. 

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

Agreed, Knuckles and lighthouses look expensive too, I might have to up my estimate of 599. Then again, MS and Sony initially lose money on each new generation of consoles, but I'm not sure Valve is ready to play that game... Oculus has learned their lesson producing expensive HMDs, HTC seems struggling to get it... Interesting what Valve will do...

The good news is the cost of Light house 2.0 were cut by like 60% from 1.0. $140 to $60 OEM were the last numbers I heard last year. I have no idea what Knuckles will cost. Considering the Reverb is going to cost 599 and most of that cost is the HMD and the Rift-S at 399. I'm thinking 699-899. I'll be ecstatic with less. I think anything above 899 is going to relegate it to niche of a niche lol. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

The good news is the cost of Light house 2.0 were cut by like 60% from 1.0. $140 to $60 OEM were the last numbers I heard last year. I have no idea what Knuckles will cost. Considering the Reverb is going to cost 599 and most of that cost is the HMD and the Rift-S at 399. I'm thinking 699-899. I'll be ecstatic with less. I think anything above 899 is going to relegate it to Niche of a niche lol. 

Trying to regain some faith I played Lone Echo ss 2.0 for something like an hour last night - and it was nearly as awesome as ever. Nearly because I notice the SDE much more now than when I played it in 2017. But fps were great even though I often got 45 asw - didn't really notice that, felt like 90. Rift-S is probably going to be quite awesome for most users, so even though the Index may provide some true next-gen stuff, setting the price much above Rift-S might be a great problem for Valve. I might pay 50% more for an awesome Dead Citadel experience, but 100%... Hmmmm.... (And of course there's Valve's 3 VR games surprise pool bomb)... And the average Steam user does not have a 2080 (Ti), more like 1060 or worse...  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:
Trying to regain some faith I played Lone Echo ss 2.0 for something like an hour last night - and it was nearly as awesome as ever. Nearly because I notice the SDE much more now than when I played it in 2017. But fps were great even though I often got 45 asw - didn't really notice that, felt like 90. Rift-S is probably going to be quite awesome for most users, so even though the Index may provide some true next-gen stuff, setting the price much above Rift-S might be a great problem for Valve. I might pay 50% more for at great Dead Citadel experience, but 100%... Hmmmm.... (And there's Valve's 3 games bomb)... And the average Steam users does not have a 2080 (Ti), more like 1060 or worse...  

I was actually going to comment on the steam target audience but didn't want to type a novel.. I'll do a quick summary. I would expect Valve to try to go after the 35% of Vive users that are still using the OG vive. It would be smart to get as close to that as possible which still sells for $499. Conversely, the Vive Pro makes up 0.02% of VR users...so going too high is going to meet a similar fate. 

Then you have those who haven't jumped in VR yet. 62.07% of their platform...are still gaming in 1080p lol. Only 1.46% are in 4k (I feel special now lol), and around 4.7% are in 1440p. 13% are still in 768p...

I show about roughly 5.5% of their survey users have at least a 1080 or RX Vega 64 or better. Steam has around 100 million monthly users so you're looking at a maximum of 5 million to potentially sell to currently but less than half will even consider it. Pretty tight margins. 

So yea, it's going to be interesting.