Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

Wildt
Consultant

pyroth309 said:
If the resolution is that high...RIP Reverb lol...but also Rip everyone's GPU unless they have foveated rendering or something. 

Also RIP my wallet. 
I reckon now the devs might actually have to get their shit together and use all the tricks in the book to properly optimize their PCVR titles, to make them run MINIMUM half the panel refresh rate.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wildt said:

pyroth309 said:
If the resolution is that high...RIP Reverb lol...but also Rip everyone's GPU unless they have foveated rendering or something. 

Also RIP my wallet. 
I reckon now the devs might actually have to get their shit together and use all the tricks in the book to properly optimize their PCVR titles, to make them run MINIMUM half the panel refresh rate.

This is why it's fake and no one really knows xD I can see it being Vive Pro res (maybe they went in as a deal with HTC) - or even a little higher - but short of that - I have a hard time seeing them go much higher then Reverb without eye tracking. I mean they also have a increase in FOV that already going to be more demanding anyways:) That be nuts!

I mean it is possible - dual layer screens with one screen adding as sub pixels to another screen - it doesn't increase resolution (unless you want it to) - but it does increase pixel fill rate much like RGB vs Pentile layouts. Yet, I don't think they know how to make something like that let alone tell/give information to a screen maker to produce such a screen:) It's a neat idea if anything if you compare that to the logo too. 

logotomie
Expert Protege

pyroth309 said:

vannagirl said:

logotomie said:

rumored resolution is 1913x2125 per eye

things are getting interesting. Lets see what kind of screen it is.
...if i just had faith in valve building hardware, so far they constantly failed in that department....

Is this good or bad??

Its about as high as the hp reverb, so its good (minus missing info on whether its pentile.)

If the quest is reasonable at 1/10th or lower the rendering power of the min spec for cv1, why should it RIP the GPU, in the worst case you will not fully utilizing the resolution. HP demoes the 2kx2k reverb with a card slower than the 1080.
Also intelligent Lens design can potentially lower the distortion.

Speaking of Lenses: having a double lens design could allow the construction of an achromatic lens, further lowering the color fringing issues. 

pyroth309
Visionary

logotomie said:

pyroth309 said:

vannagirl said:

logotomie said:

...if i just had faith in valve building hardware, so far they constantly failed in that department....

Is this good or bad??

Its about as high as the hp reverb, so its good (minus missing info on whether its pentile.)

If the quest is reasonable at 1/10th or lower the rendering power of the min spec for cv1, why should it RIP the GPU, in the worst case you will not fully utilizing the resolution. HP demoes the 2kx2k reverb with a card slower than the 1080.

Speaking of Lenses: having a double lens design could allow the construction of an achromatic lens, further lowering the color fringing issues. 

I was joking about the GPU. HP's minimum spec is a 1080 which I have so I'm sure I can power it enough to play on it. Will it be a great experience on a 1080 is the question. With the Index, I don't know enough about this screen tech to say one way or the other with certainty. There's always supersampling down to 0.5 also.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

"From leaks, rumors, and speculation, here's what we know:
  • 135-degree FoV

OMG, 135 FOV, I'd be in heaven! 

This changes all my plans as I was originally planning on buying Quest and Rift S but now I think Quest + Valve Index seems more likely. :smile:

I have a few questions for you guys if you don't mind.
  • Do you guys reckon that Valve will have designed decent lenses to match Oculus lenses and have zero god rays?
  • Regarding the new lenses that Oculus uses for GO, Quest, Rift S, do those lenses belong to Oculus which means all these different companies have to design their own lenses or do they share lenses from the same manufacturer?
  • And my last question is, when is the next VR event coming up, is there something going on in May as they said the release date is May? And do you think we will get further announcements throughout April regarding specs and games or we'll just have to wait for May press conference?
Thanks in advance! I'm very excited!!! 🙂

UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

pyroth309
Visionary

Wildt said:

pyroth309 said:

Also RIP my wallet. 

Yea, this is probably going to hurt my wallet. There's no way I can buy a headset like that and not go all out on the PC to power it lol. RIP my stripper money. Sorry ladies.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

"From leaks, rumors, and speculation, here's what we know:
  • 135-degree FoV

OMG, 135 FOV, I'd be in heaven! 

This changes all my plans as I was originally planning on buying Quest and Rift S but now I think Quest + Valve Index seems more likely. :smile:

I have a few questions for you guys if you don't mind.
  • Do you guys reckon that Valve will have designed decent lenses to match Oculus lenses and have zero god rays?
  • Regarding the new lenses that Oculus uses for GO, Quest, Rift S, do those lenses belong to Oculus which means all these different companies have to design their own lenses or do they share lenses from the same manufacturer?
  • And my last question is, when is the next VR event coming up, is there something going on in May as they said the release date is May? And do you think we will get further announcements throughout April regarding specs and games or we'll just have to wait for May press conference?
Thanks in advance! I'm very excited!!! 🙂

1) We don't know - possible - and very likely they are. If rumors are correct though - it should be a pretty clear lenses with a large sweet spot and less color distortion. 
2) They belong to Oculus - they tell the manufacturer how to make them to order - but that is the only thing that manufacturer can do. I am sure they're under gag orders to never talk about how they are made.
3) VR news can happen any time. Oculus next will be next October unless they feel the need to come out to some x event to talk about something.

Mradr said:

The O is the Oculus:))

Wait, they've put a choking hazard warning on a cereal box?
Oh ok it's for the toy.

Do these things make your shit purple? that would be more fun than a plastic toy imho.

Anonymous
Not applicable
lol I saw that when we went up to comic con this weekend xD it's a gift that keeps on giving if you know what I mean 😜

Wildt
Consultant

pyroth309 said:

logotomie said:

pyroth309 said:

vannagirl said:

logotomie said:

Is this good or bad??

I was joking about the GPU. HP's minimum spec is a 1080 which I have so I'm sure I can power it enough to play on it. Will it be a great experience on a 1080 is the question. With the Index, I don't know enough about this screen tech to say one way or the other with certainty. There's always supersampling down to 0.5 also.

How much meaning does min.spec. have on WMR devices?
I understand Oculus can do it for apps in their own store with their own HMD, but HP has fuck all influence on Steam titles that support WMR.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb