cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

Interesting the discourse in this thread, but it doesn't seem to fit the forum ideology. So, let me be the first (excuse the obvious sarcasm and contradiction) but.

This is the Oculus forum, can't you post this stuff on the Valve Index forum? Discussions right now should be about the Rift S and Quest, not competing headsets.

😛 

I think if Atm... I mean he who shouldn't be named were still here, this thread would have descended to the point that we'd be saying the same thing!

Anonymous
Not applicable

DaftnDirect said:
I think if Atm... I mean he who shouldn't be named were still here, this thread would have descended to the point that we'd be saying the same thing!

Atmos:)? There were a lot of people like that over the years xD That just the most recent big one I can think of. I have no fear! Agree though:) The 20 post days of just him and Zen going at it:D

I'm sorry to say I got drawn in too. The more someone is anti-Oculus for the sake of being anti-oculus, the more frustrated I get. I'll have to learn to ignore.

Love talking other manufacturers otherwise.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

logotomie said:

rumored resolution is 1913x2125 per eye

things are getting interesting. Lets see what kind of screen it is.
...if i just had faith in valve building hardware, so far they constantly failed in that department....

Could be an April Fools' joke - but maybe not, I think this dude got it right:

"With a 1.4 HW multiplier it would actually indicate exactly 1440x1600 per eye.

Edit: note that a lot of people are doing the "90%" math wrong. It's linear in pixels."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/b7xlmd/valve_index_resolution_leaked/

I ate to few carrots as a child - now I need high Index to read this  😉

mpugab0po6a1.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even if Valve Index does have amazing hardware even with in reasonable price point - there was still reasons I went Oculus over HTC. Simple fact - Oculus has the games and software coming for it. Wall Garden or not - having access to that software + steam store was an amazing grab hold at that time to not go Oculus. Even now - if you compare software - Oculus still has a leg up here and there. Steam VR still feels clunky to me compare Oculus' setup and in and out VR experience, so we will just have to see how Steam VR improves before the release of their HMD and a bit after (have to still get them bugs out, right?) Either way, this is why I am plan to get two again - but this time around I will write up a little review/blog on both. Try to get screen shots and everything else.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

"That's 90% at 1913x2125, or 100% at 2016x2240.

With a 1.4x multiplier (like Vive) that would indicate a 1440x1600 display -- which is exactly the Vive Pro spec."

I ate to few carrots as a child - now I need high Index to read this 

Another user also pointed out that each multiplier effects each headset differently - so that might be true for the Vive Pro - that doesn't mean those same settings would be true for the Vive it self. It's possible that the screens could be higher resolution than that. I'm not holding my breath tho xD but with such a large FOV - it does make me question if that is the right move for them to do so. That be the same PPD as the CV1 and Vive. I would assume if they're going to increase the FOV then they will increase the screen res to match it. Maybe not - who knows LOL

Honestly - I think its a fake XD the screen grabbed is just too poor for something in 2019 that should be pretty clear xD

yeah it's just a shame whoever screen grabbed that was using 640x480 !

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Mradr said:

RuneSR2 said:

"That's 90% at 1913x2125, or 100% at 2016x2240.

With a 1.4x multiplier (like Vive) that would indicate a 1440x1600 display -- which is exactly the Vive Pro spec."

I ate to few carrots as a child - now I need high Index to read this 

Another user also pointed out that each multiplier effects each headset differently - so that might be true for the Vive Pro - that doesn't mean those same settings would be true for the Vive it self. It's possible that the screens could be higher resolution than that. I'm not holding my breath tho xD but with such a large FOV - it does make me question if that is the right move for them to do so. That be the same PPD as the CV1 and Vive. I would assume if they're going to increase the FOV then they will increase the screen res to match it. Maybe not - who knows LOL

UplpadVR just published a piece about the leaked Index res - although today is the worst day for such articles  😄

"While the image is low resolution, it’s still possible to make out the details by looking closely. The headset name seems to be ‘Unidentified HMD’ and the frametime indicator is clearly up to 11.1ms- meaning a refresh rate of 90 Hz

Zooming in shows the current render resolution as 1913×2125. However, the render resolution is set to 90%, meaning at 100% it would be 2016×2240.

It’s very important to note that a headset’s default render resolution is not the same as its panel resolution. In order to overcome the inherent image quality loss from barell distortion PC VR headsets by default render at a higher resolution than the panels.

The original HTC Vive uses 1080×1200 panels and its default was 1512×1680. The Vive Pro upgraded to 1440×1600 panels and upped this default to 2016×2240- exactly what the video’s 90% resolution scaled to 100% would be. Both headsets used a render resolution 1.4x the panel resolution on each axis.

So What Panel Resolution?

The same default render resolution as the Vive Pro seems to indicate Index uses the same 1440×1600 OLED panels as the Vive Pro. Back when Index was first leaked a source told us the headset would have “Vive Pro resolution”- but it was unclear whether they referred to panel resolution or angular. Perhaps it was the former.

However the other possibility is that Index’s render resolution is 1.0x instead of 1.4x. The original leaks of Index showed labels on the headset. One of these labels had a heading called “Display” with two options: BOE and JDI.

BOE and JDI are both display manufacturers. BOE makes the 1440p LCD for the Oculus Go also used on Rift S, and JDI is rumored to be making the 2160×2160 LCDs for the HP Reverb

Both companies have 2K LCD panels for VR releasing this year that could be suitable for Index if the headset will indeed improve resolution. BOE has a 90Hz 2160×2376 panel. JDI has a 2160×2432 120Hz panel."

https://uploadvr.com/report-valve-index-dev-video-apparently-reveals-render-resolution-and-refresh-r...

I think Vive Pro res would be a nice target trying not to kill every GPU out there 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Wildt
Consultant
As long as we have good control of the render target, there's no reason not to crave the highest resolution panels we can get.
Future proofing!
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Anonymous
Not applicable
BOE has a 90Hz 2160×2376 panel.  I think could be used if they did a 1:1. The problem comes down to lenses at that point. If their lenses fixes the reason we have to do distortion fix - then you could render at normal res than the upscale render we do now. I assume it really depends on when they could get these panels and if BOE saw a enough demand for them to really make them outside of special orders. If so the PPD would be around 16 for 135 FOV. That be amazing:O

Really it sounds like it comes down to:
1) If the new lenses are amazing to fix more than one major issue with current lens (including the GOs such as God Rays, color correction, and distortion)
2) If they are - then might be able to push a little harder for the screens to be higher res than vive pro

With that said though - Cost wise - if they do go with new higher res panels, lenses, controllers, and base stations - even if they take a hit - and take in no profit other than when they fix manufacturing cost - that still be in the upper 800$ price mark and if they do around 900$ to 1000$ mark. On the plus side - if your PC would run a Vive Pro already - your PC should now run a Index the same way either if they use the same panels - or used higher end panels and a more 1:1 scale. Either way - we already should know what hardware you will need if we just compare to the Vive Pro.

Not sure about anyone else - but if they can keep the total package around that 800$ mark I think it be in a really amazing price point for all the features + FOV and Res.  That might make it good enough for the people that are waiting to get into VR or the next generatilon headset. If they do release HL 2.5 then you might have some killer AAA game that will set off the hype for VR again.