cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Think It's Time For A Forum Code Update

As per the title. There has long been issues with the forum on mobile devices such as not being able to delete quote boxes once created and difficulties in pasting pictures.

There are also now issues creeping into desktop browser use. If using IE (I know, don't shoot me!) I can no longer like, awesome or LOL a post, I think this is since the last Windows 10 update.  If I switch to Edge, I have some problems with inserting pictures (no resizing capability) & also problems deleting quote boxes.

Is it possible to give the forum a thorough seeing to Oculus?
73 REPLIES 73

Techy111
MVP
MVP

Thmoas said:

I have login issues. I need to press "sign in" then I get redirected to Oculus website, I have to press a Facebook login button then manually have to go back to the forum where I'm still not logged in, I need to press Sign In again, then the page reloads and I'm signed in.

And I have to do this often as it doesn't remember me correctly.

This has been going on since I'm on this forum. It's on all browsers. Really badly made.

This happens to me on my Android phone or PC when I get logged out on a monthly basis. I click on the sign in and as you get directed to the Oculus home page. Below the Facebook sign in is a little tidgy sign in with non Facebook option. I click on that which logs me into the oculus home page. Then I navigate back to this forum. Sign in again and it works, damn annoying but not too frequent.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I just don't know why we have to sign in and then sign in again to get into the the forums. It would be better just to sign in once and not have to then sign into the forums again. 

I don't think the intention is to repeatedly sign-in. I last signed about a week ago I think, possibly longer and I haven't had to sign in again since. I suspect it's intended that you only sign in if you've been away for a set number of days or maybe that there's a set number of days before a re-sign-in is required regardless of activity.

Repeated sign-ins are probably another indication of incorrectly operating code on some browsers. Or maybe an ability of the code to deal with security settings for cookies on some browsers.

Just guessing of course but as I say, logging in seems to be ok with IE and re-sign-in isn't needed.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Signing in for me (firefox) is rare (maybe once every couple of months). But when it does, it's always the triple sign in (press sign in on forum, press sign in on oculus home page, press sign in on forum again).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

kojack said:

Signing in for me (firefox) is rare (maybe once every couple of months). But when it does, it's always the triple sign in (press sign in on forum, press sign in on oculus home page, press sign in on forum again).

Yeah, I meant triple sign in because that's exactly what I have to do. When I do it though it doesn't always sign in on the 3rd part when you click to go into the forums again. You just get that wave thing next to sing in and it just goes on and on forever.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Just a little update. Still working on some CSS mods for the forum.
I suck at GUI and colour design, so its a work in progress. 🙂

Here's the new post edit box.
Avatars (everywhere) are now 80 pixels instead of 40. (Actually I might shrink it back to 40 for the edit box, but leave it 80 for posts)
Multi level quotes are colour coded.
Quotes, code blocks and spoilers are visible in the edit box before you even type in them! No more guessing if you are correctly inside of a quote.

Before:
q9a2zapxra78.png
After:
006j8ypyably.png

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RattyUK
Trustee

vannagirl said:

I struggle to log in with Firefox, Chrome, Dolphin & Safari

the code is menopausal

I can't think of a worse type of code 😐

Premenstrual?
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
I only use Firefox and and lately it's been fine. Every once in a while the forum will forget who I am and I have to re-sign in. Sometimes sign in will take ages, other times it's quick. Also, it's quite annoying that when I need to sign in, it takes me to the Oculus website first, I then have to go back to the forum to get in again, sometimes multiple times before remembering me again. There should be no need to take me to the Oculus website (I've already bought the product)...just log me in where I am.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Luciferous
Consultant
Happens on my Apple phone often will have to give up trying to comment as cannot get it to log on. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to add my nickel's worth:

The forum software is terrible. Every few weeks, I will find myself logged out of the forums for no reason at all. I then click on sign in, which takes me to the Oculus.com page . Why in the world one can not sign in directly from the forums? 
Then - once signed in on Oculus.com, I return to forums - only to find myself still not logged in there - even though I am logged in on Oculus.com. It remains this way for a while, meaning I can not use the forums during this time.

So dang frustrating!
Yeah it eventually propagates over to the forums , but can take many minutes and sometimes an hour or longer.
Please Oculus - fix these forums!! As your user base grows it is important for the forums to reflect well on you!
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?