New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

New Oculus Quest content preview trailer!!!!!

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
I am LOVING the marketing here.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Zenbane said:
    Aww baby! Quest is da tits!!

Can't wait. Pre-order nooowwww!!
    VRChat confirmed for Quest also!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Well if I was a new interested person to VR that would drag me, hands down !!!! Nice vid
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    edited March 2019
    Apex construct confirmed as well as I expect you to die and Rec Room.

Be good, die great !
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,669 Valuable Player
    Yeah that is pretty well done. Can't wait to get one
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,153 Valuable Player
    Oculus is now using the word "countdown"

Probably on or before Easter!

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Wintermute
    Isn´t that OrbusVR at 0:54 in the new preview trailer ?
     Anyhow the amount of titles are building up, and from what it looks like, the graphics are quite impressive running on a snapdragon 835.
    Be good, die great !
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,442 Volunteer Moderator
    KlodsBrik said:
    Isn´t that OrbusVR at 0:54 in the new preview trailer ?
     Anyhow the amount of titles are building up, and from what it looks like, the graphics are quite impressive running on a snapdragon 835.
    I think that's Journey Of The Gods from Turtle Rock Studios.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Oculus is now using the word "countdown"

Probably on or before Easter!

It is indeed.  With no count.
    edited March 2019
    Someone paired up a comparison to Robo recall on Quest and Robo Recall on Rift.

There's some proof for anyone who still thinks that Quest graphics will be close to Rift after the first dead and buried demo. Still, you aren't buying a mobile headset for AAA graphics, it's for convenience and being untethered. More colorful/cartoony games are going to be great like Beat Saber and Superhot. Overall I'm pretty excited for Quest.

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,264 Valuable Player
    Looking at the video, the lack of dynamic shading/lighting almost makes it look a bit fake (prerendered 2d objects). But that would simply be too off-putting in VR, so I doubt that's the case.
    Are there first hand reports from someone who tried it?
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Wildt said:
    Looking at the video, the lack of dynamic shading/lighting almost makes it look a bit fake (prerendered 2d objects). But that would simply be too off-putting in VR, so I doubt that's the case.
    Are there first hand reports from someone who tried it?
    Not sure, but I mean you're taking a game that was basically a tech demo to showcase The Rift's potential and stripping it way down so it can run on a Snapdragon 835. It's probably not the best game to port but it's so fun ripping robots apart that it's still worth it.
    Yeah, most of the other launch titles seem like a good match for the Quest hardware, but I fear the RR universe is gonna look pretty bland.
    Not that I care - I've shelved that game long ago :)
    Wintermute
    This is supposedly an official screenshot of Robo Recall on Quest:

Be good, die great !

This shot looks a lot better.

Wintermute
    I was thinking the exact same at the same time :P ^^
    Be good, die great !
    Posted at same time  =P
    Wintermute

Hi guys,

at Pax East 2019 I had the chance to try out the Oculus Quest for a long time (2 days), also I've been at the OC5 and tried it there.

So what can I say about the headset? I will tell you in different categories:

Display and lenses:

The Quest has a 1600x1440 OLED pentile matrix display per eye at 72Hz. The SDE is definitely still visible and you can compare it with the Vive Pro. Its visible but it didnt bother my during my gameplays. Colors and black levels are very good.
    The Quest has Fresnel lenses, but they are different then the lenses of the old Rift and much better. I didn't notice any GodRays. For the sweetspot I need around 2 to 3 seconds to get it at the right position and also during gameplay I was never off the sweet spot, so this is totally fine for me.
    There is some light leakage at your nose, so for people that dont like it, this could be a problem.
    The field of view has no official numbers, but for me it felt a little bit smaller than the old Rift or Vive, but didnt really bother me during my sessions.

Design:
    The front is from plastics and you can see fingerprints on it when you touch it. The Quest is not the most beautiful heaset, but I really dont care about this. It looks still better than the Rift S for me.

Comfort / weight:
    The comfort of the Quest is good, I didnt have any problems during a 4-hour constant session. Also its not getting to hot under the headset. Of course the weight is on the front, but its pretty good spreaded over your head with the headstrap.

Controllers / tracking:
    The controllers are the same for Quest and Rift S. During my sessions I didnt really feel a difference between the old Touch Controllers and the new one. The buttons are reachable pretty good. I only had a problem with the battery cover two times while playing Beat Saber. The magnet doesnt seem to be strong enough and sometimes I opened the cover accidently.
    The tracking is as I expected better than WMR tracking because of 4 cameras, but it's not as good as Rift S tracking. When you hold the controllers behind your back they work for 1 second and then tracking is gone. Same when you hold the controlls directly in front of the headset. Aiming while holding controllers in front of each other was not a problem, also bow and arrow games are no problem.
    The Quest tracking takes a split of a second longer than Rift S to recover tracking after you held it behind your back.
    However I think in 99% of cases it should be fine.

Performance / battery life:
    The Quest has a Snapdragon 835 integrated and it performs very good in all situations I had, even during recording at the same time. I never had the feeling to be lower than 72 fps. I really hope this will be the case in all upcoming games as well.
    After a 4 hour session the Quest had still some battery left. I didnt play all the time, I was in menu, some minute in standby and most of time in games like Beat Saber, Dance central and other stuff. So the battery life really depends on what you doing and I'd say its from 2 to 4 hours.

Face cover / cleaning:

You can remove the face cover in one part, thats not a problem, also you can reach most parts to clean sweat for example. There will be different face cover, one for glasses for example.

Wearing glasses:
    The Quest doesnt have the possibility to change the distance between eyes and lenses (like Rift S), so its a little bit tigth there, but it definitely works. Check out my video unter this review, you can see my test with pretty big sunglasses.

IPD adjustment:

The Quest has mechanical IPD adjustment and this is great (better than Rift S with software IPD). So there are no official numbers, but I'd say it goes from 58 to 72mm. I for myself have 60mm and had no problems with the minimum settings.

Connectors / Sound:

The Quest has two 3.5mm audio jacks, one on each side, so you can use your own headphones. And you should, because the integrated sound that comes through a small slot is pretty bad. I didnt hear anything even with maximum settings at a loud environment.The USB-C connector can be used to recharge the Quest and to transfer files (gameplay recordings for example) to the PC. When you connect it, make sure you hit "allow" button inside the headset.

Software:
    Software was not finished yet, so it doesnt make much sense to talk about it. However expect sth very very similar to Oculus Rift and Go experience. You can setup different roomscale areas that the headsets recognizes and also set standing experience. You can use the two cameras for video passthrough of the two cameras (black and white view of your real environment).
    The Quest will start with 50 release titles.

Price / who should buy it:
    64GB version will be 399$, 128GB version will be 499$. Release is spring 2019.
    If you already own a PC, you should perhaps go for a PC headset, because the Quest cant play the best PC VR games. A standalone headset never will have so much power. However if you're travling a lot or dont have a PC (from GTX 1080) you should definitely go for the Quest, because its the best standalone headset, its easy to use and you can play a lot of games on it!

Be good, die great !
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    i must admit the questr could be cool outside. i am definitely not buying at launch but the notion of drawing a 6m x 15m box at the bottom of my garden and having that as my play space is pretty compelling. would be good for fitness games too wiith no limits to boundaries.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,162 Valuable Player
    I am LOVING the marketing here.

Agree, that was a strong video for someone new to the concept - I was always hyper critical to the previous attempts by the past management, who clearly were not trained in advertising and promotion - but the influence of some strong marketeers are in evidence for the Quest launch material, lets hope Rift-S gets some of that love.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Or even worse "get orf mah land!" followed by gun shots..
    I wonder how long it will take for the first person to fall in a Manhole or Well with it. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    CrashFu said:
    And then a bee decides to explore the nose-gap of bigmike's headset, and he never plays VR (outside) again. :lol:

I have only ever been stung on 1 occasion in my life time.  Admittedly it was at least 33 times after sitting on a nest whilst fishing.
    so 1 pesky sting holds no fear ;)

(turns out i am not allergic to stings, which is probably for the best!!!)

Back on topic, regarding that trailer.
    You only get quick flashes but i think visually it does show what a step down the eye candy is going to be.  Dont get me wrong VR is more than just eye candy and the experience i think is going to be top notch. Also it is impressive what they got from the 835 processor............................................. but It does imo show that affordable mobile VR is still not going to be quite there for me personally just yet (but as i said as a fitness device could be superb!!!)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited April 2019
    CrashFu said:
    And then a bee decides to explore the nose-gap of bigmike's headset, and he never plays VR (outside) again. :lol:

I have only ever been stung on 1 occasion in my life time.  Admittedly it was at least 33 times after sitting on a nest whilst fishing.
    so 1 pesky sting holds no fear ;)

(turns out i am not allergic to stings, which is probably for the best!!!)
    Lucky, I've been stung by just about every stinging bug in my state lol. Hornets, Honey Bees, Bumble Bees, Yellow Jackets, Wasps, Mud-daubers, Cicada Killers, and lots of fire ants. Yea if I was allergic I woulda been dead long ago lol. I worked as a window cleaner for 2 years when I was young, it's amazing how many of those make nests near windows. Get used to the stings after awhile lol. 
    I've apparently become allergic to wasps.. and last summer they built a nest in a hard to reach spot in my house, that required me to suit up and crawl into a tight space wearing thick clothes, ski mask, gloves and all. 
    One of the little bastards still managed to sting me right on one of the big veins on my wrist.
    Whole damn lower arm swelled up like crazy and was itching like fuck. 

Not doing THAT again..  :grimace:
    Wintermute
     Looks so damn cool - Quest roomscale video:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b9box3/oculus_quest_room_scale/
    I dont know how i rip vid links from reddit unfortunately.

Be good, die great !
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    When I was a kid, I stepped on a huge yellow-jacket nest while exploring the woods. Covered nearly head to toe in the things, must have gotten stung a hundred times at least.

From that day on, I was strictly an indoor kid.   Probably explains why, even now, I'd rather explore virtual worlds than actually go outside, lol.

As for the graphics of Mobile VR .... I mean, yeah, did anyone expect otherwise?

I guess whoever wrote this article did: https://uploadvr.com/robo-recall-quest-downgrade-rift/  "

Robo Recall’s Quest Version Looks Like A Big Downgrade From Rift

But in all seriousness, it all comes down to art direction / design.  A skilled dev team can make a pretty good-looking game, even on very limited hardware.

Just look at one of my favorite Oculus Go titles, B-Team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HesDAgtVMT4

Or like, any hit Nintendo game before the Switch era.

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.