New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift 1.37 PTC Release Notes

OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 363 Oculus Staff

Home:

• Tutorial refresh: We've polished up the new user tutorial in Home to be more lightweight and dynamic, as well as offer rewards for completion. If you are not a new user and want to check it out, find it in your settings menu.
  • UI revamp: We've updated the user interface for a consistent look and feel, and to make navigation and browsing more intuitive.
  • Expressive Avatars Update: Avatars have been updated to simulate eye and mouth movement, making a simple conversation feel more dynamic. And with new outfits and customization options like eye color and lipstick, spending time with others in VR will feel more personal and authentic.

Dash:

• Screenshot capture in VR: Capture screenshots from inside your headset by pressing the 'screenshot' button located on the menu on the right side of your Dash belt. There is a 5 second timer to set the pose and position of the screenshot. Images will be saved out to your C:\Users\*User*\Pictures\ directory. Happy screenshotting!

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited April 4
    Expressive Avatars Update: Will PokerStarsVR, VRChat etc. all use these? If NO then why NOT?
    No Voice Commands on this Media Device?
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    YUP, POKERSTARSVR has it! ;)
  • xeno3dxeno3d Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    Where is the new tutorial in the settings menu?
  • wzygrrwzygrr Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Thank you, appreciate that, really cool. Now, how about a couple of release dates?
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 4
    I updated but my dash looks the same and there is no screenshot feature?
  • sirnumbskullsirnumbskull Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Can't figure out which settings menu the new tutorial is in.  The one in dash?  The one on the desktop?  The one in my home menu (on the left controller)?
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,504
    Project 2501
    Looks to be the case but it is up to developers to implement this, otherwise it will revert back to ASW 1.0.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

Hiro Protagonist
    Can't figure out which settings menu the new tutorial is in.  The one in dash?  The one on the desktop?  The one in my home menu (on the left controller)?
    Same here :(
  • ShiiShii Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited April 4
    Same, can't find screenshot button.
    Intel Core i7-7700K, Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming, 32Gb RAM, MSI RTX 2080 8Gb Gaming X Trio
  • bosy.princbosy.princ Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Last time, the tutorial was at the bottom of the Library.
  • HighwaymanEdHighwaymanEd Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited April 5
    Terrible stutters on my system as soon as I launch the Oculus software since this update! :(

i7 7700k @4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4 & GTX1080Ti
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,279 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 5
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Looks to be the case but it is up to developers to implement this, otherwise it will revert back to ASW 1.0.
    Yep, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a shout about this tbh.

Is ASW 2 active with existing apps that provide depth information or is there an additional step or re-compiling that has to be done by the devs?
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 478
    Trinity
    Thank you, now this looks like an update.
    I love the new layout of the Devices tab.
    ASW 2 seems to be working very well! I forced it in Home, didn't notice any "waves". I did feel the letters felt a bit more blurry during motion though, but I don't know if it comes from this.
    It's also nice to finally have eyes. I hated the glasses. Now I still wish we'd get back the features we lost. I'd like to make my night-colored cowboy dude again xD.

I didn't find the Screenshot button either.

A very nice update overall!
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,923 Valuable Player
    edited April 5
    This could be truly awesome - but I'll wait for the final 1.37  release:

"ASW 2.0 in Action

ASW 2.0 asks developers to expose depth information. With the Rift system interface Dash, the Oculus PC runtime already uses PTW to smooth performance, blending the Dash interface over an app’s depth-composition layers. As such, most Rift apps on the Oculus Store built on Unreal Engine 4 and Unity already provide the depth information required to make ASW 2.0 work. As more apps provide this information, ASW 2.0 support will become increasingly ubiquitous."

Obduction really needs ASW 2.0 - and Lone Echo ss 2.0  <3

ASW 2.0 could be a true life saver, cheap "2080 Ti"-ish performance  B)  :D

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited April 5
    The Oculus Demi-Gods of ASW 2.0 - if it works, they need a big raise!  o:)

Volga Aksoy:

Dean Beeler:

Both are Oculus' software engineers. Maybe more persons helped, but these two guys posted the ASW 2.0 news on the Oculus' blog. 

Yup - that's what it takes to get your picture in the paper!  :D

PS. Brendan Iribe may have been behind much of the ASW 2.0 work too:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• LujhoLujho Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    Is there a way to force the update or do I just have to wait?
    You can become a beta tester by activating the Public Test Channel (PTC) in the Rift desktop app, then you should get the 1.37 PTC. 

• LujhoLujho Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    RuneSR2 said:
    You can become a beta tester by activating the Public Test Channel (PTC) in the Rift desktop app, then you should get the 1.37 PTC. 
    Thanks. I guess I never did that because I was happy to wait for the official release. But I may as well.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,150 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Yep, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a shout about this tbh.

Is ASW 2 active with existing apps that provide depth information or is there an additional step or re-compiling that has to be done by the devs?

No re-compiling necessary I don't think, it should just work. As far as I know the Unreal Engine doesn't do this automatically so you'll need to turn it on and re-compile then re-Submit it to the Oculus Store or do this with an update.

I'm waiting on a couple of plugins to get sorted out for 4.22 and I'll start working on my game again soon.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Brain Burst
    I set ASW to "Force 45fps, ASW enabled" in Oculus Debug Tool and recorded video of how it works for me: https://youtu.be/zPfenw-sokg

LuluViBritannia, is it working better than this example for you? Can you record video if better?

Intel Core i7-7700K, Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming, 32Gb RAM, MSI RTX 2080 8Gb Gaming X Trio
  • NeokinNeokin Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    Lujho said:

Thanks. I guess I never did that because I was happy to wait for the official release. But I may as well.
    Usually, the official update comes 1 or 2 weeks after being in the PTC. I also prefer to wait a little :)
    Brain Burst
    I set ASW to "Force 45fps, ASW enabled" in Oculus Debug Tool and recorded video of how it works for me:

LuluViBritannia, is it working better than this example for you? Can you record video if better?

Hiro Protagonist
    Is ASW 2.0 enabled in this PTC release?
  • vr360blnvr360bln Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I get terrible stutters, whole system freezing, when starting oculus with latest beta update & drivers....had to switch off beta, now seems working again....must be an software issue with that latest beta. Everything else on my system (i9, 64GB Ram, 1080ti) works fine. When Oculus is running, I cant even move the mouse without stuttering....! Any Fixes? or just keep of the beta for now ?!
    According to RoadToVR:

"Update: We’ve confirmed that ASW 2.0 is live for all users running the latest Oculus software update (not the Public Test Channel)."
    https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-launches-asw-2-0-asynchronous-spacewarp/

So Oculus sent out a signal and now it's switched on even using 1.36??? Because the latest software update is 1.36 - or maybe a small package arrived yesterday? (It's been a few days since I used my Rift, had to watch some Love, a bit of Death and a lot of Robots :blush:  )

I have high hopes for ASW 2.0 - if we're lucky then:

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 478
    Trinity
    edited April 5
    @Shii:
    Ouch, it looks weird.
    I've tried to record as well, but Home + Mirror + OBS Studio is too much for my rig xD! It stutters too much.
    Anyway, I don't see this problem.
    Did you see that in the headset as well (I mean, without recording), or was this just during recording?

My guess is it does that when the FPS gets below 40.
    You should do your recording again with the Visual HUD set to "Performance" in the Debug Tool, it will show you the FPS. If it stays around 45, ASW is on and works very well. If it gets below 40, ASW is still on but obviously doesn't work as well, which is probably why you see this stuff.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    Brain Burst
    edited April 5
    It was same in the headset without recording. Fps was stable 45, checked with debug tool. I have i7-7700K and RTX 2080 so performance not a problem. Fps was artifically limited by forced asw in oculus debug tool.
  • netshamannetshaman Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    avatar editor remain stuck and there is no screenshot button