cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which VR HMD will you buy next? - Rift S - Valve Index - Quest etc

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Hi guys, since we now know that Valve Index and Rift S will be released very soon, I was curious to see where everyone in the community currently stands on their next purchase.

I've tried to give as many options as possible below and included bundles with Quest + Rift S and Quest + Valve Index since I'm guessing many in the community will be buying more then one HMD just as I plan to myself.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
156 REPLIES 156

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

Just come from a conference meeting with the Samsung Asia team and representative for States business in VR. Had a frank discussion about their current relationship with Oculus VR - and they revealed they have a Standalone VR system scheduled for a Q4 release that is their no phone GearVR using the Snapdragon 855. This is a major move to position themselves against the Quest - should have full specs in a day or so but this is major - especially for those that already were invested on the GearVR to move too.

They won't be positioning that much against the Quest if both Odyssey headsets are anything to go by lol

Well you never know, perhaps if we EVER get allowed to leave the EU Samsung might sell them here in the UK  😮 😄

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

bigmike20vt said:

I wonder if there will be a hack like revive to run on oculus store

A good point @bigmike20vt - you would have thought if the Samsung/Oculus relationship was still good they would have announced support. But by the sounds of it the GearVR community will be cut loose. Though this is still early and things change. As we kn ow there are a considerable number of GearVR apps that are not available on Go - so things could become fluid!

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:
They won't be positioning that much against the Quest if both Odyssey headsets are anything to go by lol

Well you never know, perhaps if we EVER get allowed to leave the EU Samsung might sell them here in the UK  😮 😄

I would not be so sure. But anything can change as you say.

There were a number of questions from other attendees about the issue with International sales, and they seemed to confirm that Enterprise sales were not an issue moving forward. As you say, the consumer approach may not be their "positioning"! I think you may see announcement about other manufacturers taking this view.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

edmg
Trustee
Quest for now. I'll buy whatever is best on the PC side next year when I build a new gaming PC.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
My next headset will definitely be Quest—that’s a no-brainer, especially with a number of titles supporting crossbuy. As for my next PCVR headset, I’m not sure. I’m interested to learn more about Index, but I may well end up just waiting for CV2. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

vannagirl
Consultant

nalex66 said:

My next headset will definitely be Quest—that’s a no-brainer, especially with a number of titles supporting crossbuy. As for my next PCVR headset, I’m not sure. I’m interested to learn more about Index, but I may well end up just waiting for CV2. 

Would a quest be able to play something like lone echo and is there a cross buy list for quest??
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Not Lone Echo, but it was hinted on Twitter that Echo Combat might be coming. Confirmed games include Robo Recall, SuperHot, The Climb, Beat Saber, Apex Construct... there are a bunch more that I can’t think of at the moment. I think there’s a list on Reddit in r/OculusQuest. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Definitely getting Quest and probably going to get the Rift S, but will may wait for Index details.

Even though I have been waiting for better spec'd headset I am not immediately drawn to the Index. The reason I am excited for the Index is that it probably means Valve is releasing content.

MPires
Heroic Explorer
The hmds concerned are not on the market. Obviously a reasoned choice needs more information ... and real availability in the market.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Quest is next for me. And I don't plan on buying anything else until there's either a Rift CV2 or a real, proper PCVR competitor offering. As it stands now, the Rift CV1 is still the best overall PCVR experience (imo) - taking in to account all aspects of room-scale VR (HMD comfort, hand-controllers, software, etc).