‘Super Mario Odyssey’ & ‘Zelda Breath of the Wild’ to Oculus Quest. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

‘Super Mario Odyssey’ & ‘Zelda Breath of the Wild’ to Oculus Quest.

DilipDilip Posts: 246
Nexus 6
edited April 6 in General

Since Nintendo EPD has updated game codes to support VR for lack luster LABO KIT, which is good for nothing from comfort perspective its amazing idea for oculus to woo Nintendo to port game for upcoming Quest. A wonderful title other than AstroBot ( Astro bot may be more complex from developer point of view since its high polygon and made for PS4 which itself is powerful one) Since Super Mario Odyssey & Zelda BoW is made for Switch which may be not more powerful than Quest its very very interesting opportunity in case Oculus can reach agreement with Nintendo.

Comments

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 397
    Trinity
    I would not hold my breath, Nintendo are not known for allowing their major IP's to appear on anything that is not Nintendo hardware, they did dabble in some mobile rubbish a while ago but apart from that i doubt you will see any major Mario or Zelda games appear on anything that is not signed in blood and owned by Nintendo. ;)
  • DilipDilip Posts: 246
    Nexus 6
    edited April 6
    Why not Nintendo / Sony let go their best software to earn from them, they can always keep all branding intact in software Any way user knows origin of it and appreciate. This will also earn revenue for Developers from multi platform. May be Sony has proper VR platform and can hold AstroBot close to chest for it, LABO KIT is hardly anything above Crude VR and certainly not doing justice with game like Zelda Breath of the Wild in VR.
    Trinity
    ^^You are preaching to the choir my friend, but just don't hold your breath, of the wild, on it happening in say the next 40 years. lol
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,674 Valuable Player

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,400 Valuable Player
    As much as I'd love to see it there's about as much chance of this happening as there is the chance of me and @vannagirl shagging. Yup. It's THAT unlikely lol :o :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,566 Valuable Player
    Think the odds of that happening are way way WAY better than Nintendo sharing,/working with Oculus !!!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,400 Valuable Player
    Well that makes me feel better. B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,952 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Think the odds of that happening are way way WAY better than Nintendo sharing,/working with Oculus !!!!
    Thank you Tony unsure what for yet I have to get back to you  :D
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • Swifty8008Swifty8008 Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Nintendo makes really good games and Nintendo does not want to remind us that other platforms exist. Mario or Link will NEVER come to life on any other platform unless said platform is sold by Nintendo.  Yes Nintendo does have a few Mobile games, one featuring Mario, but I mean really.  Super Mario Run is a good game but its no Mario Galaxy... 

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,331 Valuable Player
    If you have traversed this scene for long enough you learn "never-to-say-never" - but the reality does seem slim!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,566 Valuable Player
    vannagirl said:
    Techy111 said:
    Thank you Tony unsure what for yet I have to get back to you  :D
    It's easy girl, one has very very close to zero chances and the other has absolutely zero chance ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Nexus 6
    edited April 7
    Then its time for Nintendo to release proper VR platform, which does justice to existence of VR mode to such wonderful games. May be a VR Boy II with improved ergonomics , smaller foot print and most important quick to set
    and easy to use..... May be a Nintendo Go.. 

They already have Wireless Controller to Switch ... Switch also do Video Out so the missing part of puzzle is HMD with IMU that connect to Switch PSVR way or just simple USB plug in to Tab, I hope people remember horrendous HMD developed by LG for G5, Something similar to this requried for Switch Now...

Nexus 6
    It would be light years ahead in terms of comfort from longer play times point of view if Zelda Breath of The Wild indeed playing good in VR, that itself warrant a better HMD then Crude LABO VR
    edited April 7
    Yes, they need proper VR, because right now, Super Mario and Zelda are "not VR"

As it stands now, there is nothing truly VR here to even consider moving over to something like Quest. Nintendo needs a real VR experience first.
    Nexus 6
    edited April 7
    @Zenbane

Not agree to comment that third person view is not VR... If we go by that logic some truly wonderful games like

1) Edge of Nowhere
    2) Chronos 
    3) Lucky's tale
    4) Moss 

Are not VR games... So aren't these VR Games??
    We know that those are indeed VR games. So breath of the wild can exist in similar world. 

I agree with you in that 3rd Person Camera alone is not a disqualifier for calling something "VR." However, there is a lot more wrong with these Zelda and Mario that prevent it from being called VR. This is a very low-budget cardboard experience that barely classifies as "kind of like VR" for a multitude of reasons.
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    However, there is a lot more wrong with these Zelda and Mario that prevent it from being called VR. 
    Is where you are 100% right... to qualify as good VR experience title need to have stable frame rates..(or consistently higher minimum 45 to quality 90) it need to have consistent distance of camera from character thought game exception to camera coming closer or go far to magnify certain effects but mostly stay at same distance and do not very frequently change. So yes ZBotW need and for that title need little polishing i think it already have it.

Zenbane said:
    This is a very low-budget cardboard experience that barely classifies as "kind of like VR" 
    Is where i am still not agree, reason Zelda Breath of the Wild is prime title of  Switch and dare i say responsible for 70% of Switch Console Sales ( If this title would not be there 70% of sales would not be there). Its VR conversion being offered by Nintendo is not Just small level or a bit sized experience, what they are offering is VR mode for whole game.. Only thing is you simply can't hold LABO that long to play, So if this way of playing has any merits over traditional screen then really Nintendo Fans will need HMD for it, or May be a HMD is already in process and will be revealed at some point in future shining with this game is my positive assumption.    
    edited April 7
    Dilip said:
    Is where i am still not agree, reason Zelda Breath of the Wild is prime title of  Switch and dare i say responsible for 70% of Switch Console Sales ( If this title would not be there 70% of sales would not be there).
    Yes, as a flat experience. Not VR.

Its VR conversion being offered by Nintendo is not Just small level or a bit sized experience, what they are offering is VR mode for whole game.

The term "VR mode" is not a real thing. It's not really VR. You're just looking at the same game through 360 cardboard lenses. The game itself has not been converted to a VR Experience.

Nexus 6
    That's not good...no changes at all? Are you certain? not even depth add on?
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited April 7
    Zenbane said:

The term "VR mode" is not a real thing. It's not really VR. You're just looking at the same game through 360 cardboard lenses. The game itself has not been converted to a VR Experience.

Not that I am arguing - and not a trick question - what would be the mark (or is it a gray line?) to consider something really VR, VR Experience, or not VR at all? I think there isn't really a clear cut line atm and something VR community has not agree on yet.

For me, Edge of Nowhere was an amazing game - but honestly - I wouldn't consider it a true VR game only because its something in theory you could recreate on a flat screen pretty easy. I mean, I remember having to move my head around here and there to know where to move my character - but it didn't do much else with the idea of VR in its own right. I will say its a way to adopt VR as a monitor to flat screen like games though. Should that adoption be call something else though?
    Nexus 6
    Mradr said:
    I mean, I remember having to move my head around here and there to know where to move my character - but it didn't do much else with the idea of VR in its own right. I will say its a way to adopt VR as a monitor to flat screen like games though. Should that adoption be call something else though?
    So in your perception of VR its 'yourself' which should be present in game and able to interact with game world directly like you do in real world, am i getting right? So yes thats what Direct Reality that you seek in virtual world...

What about you play games with console controllers and the avatar move or interact inside your monitor or flat screen is replaced by your self being present in game world and avatar still moves as per your wish by means of yourself manipulating controllers still you are not seeing room you are seating in but you directly see your avatar inside the game world with yourself being part of dis embodied soul who guide the avatar. its still inside virtual world not your own room which surrounds you.. in a way you are inside virtually created reality so yes its still VR.
    Nexus 6
    edited April 7
    So when a person loose clue of being inside the real world. Better when ones visible real world surroundings being replaced by something that is not real that changes according to designed codes and developers pre allowed manipulation within digital world (CGI aka Virtually Created) as perceptible by visual clues is when one is in VR....or so i guess..
    edited April 7
    Dilip said:
    Mradr said:
    I mean, I remember having to move my head around here and there to know where to move my character - but it didn't do much else with the idea of VR in its own right. I will say its a way to adopt VR as a monitor to flat screen like games though. Should that adoption be call something else though?
    So in your perception of VR its 'yourself' which should be present in game and able to interact with game world directly like you do in real world, am i getting right? So yes thats what Direct Reality that you seek in virtual world...
    Yes and no - like anything - there are different levels of what something should be consider can be break down into. It might still be part of the VR world/community - but might not always bring in everything for that Title. No different than sims games are VR for the people that want full body tracking. They just fall into a different group ~ that's all I am saying/wondering atm - what line/group should we really put things into before they just drop out of a term into another term or out of the whole all together.

VR is growing - and that is a good thing - but it's growing in a way that is going to bring in lots of different "ideas" to the table of what VR means really quickly because it still is young as far as people buy into it. What  Nintendo calls VR might not be the term Zenbane would use - or have the same meaning to someone else like you.

Nintendo though wont sell their IP (or bring it to another eco system) - they know once they did - everyone else would jump ship from their hardware sadly. The idea they can sell a Z or a M and make that hardware sell able is what keeps them in control of the hardware eco system they do control. Those are big titles and a title everyone wants to play no matter if they have to pick up a switch or a game boy to do so.
    Nexus 6
    edited April 7
    Mradr said:
    what line/group should we really put things into before they just drop out of a term into another term or out of the whole all together.
    Synthetic Reality or SR ?? ;)

You must have seen 'The Matrix' movie (Part 1) ...the whole movie during first viewing kept me guessing when exactly character of neo is in real world or is there really any real world in this movie (that was only movie i seen more than once in theater, and of course first viewing went bonkers, also by then i was high school boy) 
    edited April 7
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:

Not that I am arguing - and not a trick question - what would be the mark (or is it a gray line?) to consider something really VR, VR Experience, or not VR at all? I think there isn't really a clear cut line atm and something VR community has not agree on yet.

Oh there's a clear cut line. I can answer using an analogy. Warning, minor adult content ahead!

Real Sex vs Masturbation

Nexus 6
    edited April 7
    With this, it now complicates many realities.... :p its said S# is between two ears..so its always real as long as you don't suspend brain..which never occurs.
    edited April 7
    Zenbane said:
    Oh there's a clear cut line. I can answer using an analogy. Warning, minor adult content ahead!
    ummmmmm - not really - I mean they do bust coughasiancough places for the act..  so all VR is VR?
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    ummmmmm - not really - I mean they do bust coughasiancough places for the act..  so all VR is VR?

You can't buy true love Mradr  ;)
    Trinity

Zenbane said:
    Dilip said:
    Is where i am still not agree, reason Zelda Breath of the Wild is prime title of  Switch and dare i say responsible for 70% of Switch Console Sales ( If this title would not be there 70% of sales would not be there).
    Yes, as a flat experience. Not VR.

Its VR conversion being offered by Nintendo is not Just small level or a bit sized experience, what they are offering is VR mode for whole game.

I am waiting for the inevitable reports of children having accident because they taped the labo to their face so they could run around handsfree, lawyers must already be chumping at the bit for this thing to be released.......some no doubt future headlines...
    Person walks over cliff with Labo vr tied to face.
    Labo VR banned for schools as children Labo trip prank gets out of control.
    Mother sues Nintendo for childs ruined eyesight after child spends 3 weeks no stop wearing labo.
    Person has sex with labo vr......in Iceland(the shop)  lol
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,331 Valuable Player
    It is more likely we will see a major investment in AR / MR from Nintendo in the future - their "dalliance" into VR with this system is more a bandwagon affair than a serious investment. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959