cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

‘Super Mario Odyssey’ & ‘Zelda Breath of the Wild’ to Oculus Quest.

Dilip
Rising Star

Since Nintendo
EPD
has updated game codes to support VR for lack luster LABO KIT, which is good
for nothing from comfort perspective its amazing idea for oculus to woo
Nintendo to port game for upcoming Quest. A wonderful title other than AstroBot ( Astro
bot may be more complex from developer point of view since its high polygon and
made for PS4 which itself is powerful one) Since Super Mario Odyssey & Zelda
BoW is made for Switch which may be not more powerful than Quest its very very
interesting opportunity in case Oculus can reach agreement with Nintendo.

35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

The term "VR mode" is not a real thing. It's not really VR. You're just looking at the same game through 360 cardboard lenses. The game itself has not been converted to a VR Experience.

Not that I am arguing - and not a trick question - what would be the mark (or is it a gray line?) to consider something really VR, VR Experience, or not VR at all? I think there isn't really a clear cut line atm and something VR community has not agree on yet.

For me, Edge of Nowhere was an amazing game - but honestly - I wouldn't consider it a true VR game only because its something in theory you could recreate on a flat screen pretty easy. I mean, I remember having to move my head around here and there to know where to move my character - but it didn't do much else with the idea of VR in its own right. I will say its a way to adopt VR as a monitor to flat screen like games though. Should that adoption be call something else though?

Dilip
Rising Star

Mradr said:
I mean, I remember having to move my head around here and there to know where to move my character - but it didn't do much else with the idea of VR in its own right. I will say its a way to adopt VR as a monitor to flat screen like games though. Should that adoption be call something else though?

So in your perception of VR its 'yourself' which should be present in game and able to interact with game world directly like you do in real world, am i getting right? So yes thats what Direct Reality that you seek in virtual world...

What about you play games with console controllers and the avatar move or interact inside your monitor or flat screen is replaced by your self being present in game world and avatar still moves as per your wish by means of yourself manipulating controllers still you are not seeing room you are seating in but you directly see your avatar inside the game world with yourself being part of dis embodied soul who guide the avatar. its still inside virtual world not your own room which surrounds you.. in a way you are inside virtually created reality so yes its still VR.

Dilip
Rising Star
So when a person loose clue of being inside the real world. Better when ones visible real world surroundings being replaced by something that is not real that changes according to designed codes and developers pre allowed manipulation within digital world (CGI aka Virtually Created) as perceptible by visual clues is when one is in VR....or so i guess..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dilip said:

Mradr said:
I mean, I remember having to move my head around here and there to know where to move my character - but it didn't do much else with the idea of VR in its own right. I will say its a way to adopt VR as a monitor to flat screen like games though. Should that adoption be call something else though?

So in your perception of VR its 'yourself' which should be present in game and able to interact with game world directly like you do in real world, am i getting right? So yes thats what Direct Reality that you seek in virtual world...

Yes and no - like anything - there are different levels of what something should be consider can be break down into. It might still be part of the VR world/community - but might not always bring in everything for that Title. No different than sims games are VR for the people that want full body tracking. They just fall into a different group ~ that's all I am saying/wondering atm - what line/group should we really put things into before they just drop out of a term into another term or out of the whole all together.

VR is growing - and that is a good thing - but it's growing in a way that is going to bring in lots of different "ideas" to the table of what VR means really quickly because it still is young as far as people buy into it. What  Nintendo calls VR might not be the term Zenbane would use - or have the same meaning to someone else like you.

Nintendo though wont sell their IP (or bring it to another eco system) - they know once they did - everyone else would jump ship from their hardware sadly. The idea they can sell a Z or a M and make that hardware sell able is what keeps them in control of the hardware eco system they do control. Those are big titles and a title everyone wants to play no matter if they have to pick up a switch or a game boy to do so.

Dilip
Rising Star

Mradr said:
what line/group should we really put things into before they just drop out of a term into another term or out of the whole all together.

Synthetic Reality or SR ?? 😉

You must have seen 'The Matrix' movie (Part 1) ...the whole movie during first viewing kept me guessing when exactly character of neo is in real world or is there really any real world in this movie (that was only movie i seen more than once in theater, and of course first viewing went bonkers, also by then i was high school boy) 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:

The term "VR mode" is not a real thing. It's not really VR. You're just looking at the same game through 360 cardboard lenses. The game itself has not been converted to a VR Experience.

Not that I am arguing - and not a trick question - what would be the mark (or is it a gray line?) to consider something really VR, VR Experience, or not VR at all? I think there isn't really a clear cut line atm and something VR community has not agree on yet.

Oh there's a clear cut line. I can answer using an analogy. Warning, minor adult content ahead!

Real Sex vs Masturbation

Dilip
Rising Star
With this, it now complicates many realities.... 😛 its said S# is between two ears..so its always real as long as you don't suspend brain..which never occurs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:
Oh there's a clear cut line. I can answer using an analogy. Warning, minor adult content ahead!

ummmmmm - not really - I mean they do bust coughasiancough places for the act..  so all VR is VR?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:

ummmmmm - not really - I mean they do bust coughasiancough places for the act..  so all VR is VR?

You can't buy true love Mradr  😉

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

Dilip said:
Is where i am still not agree, reason Zelda Breath of the Wild is prime title of  Switch and dare i say responsible for 70% of Switch Console Sales ( If this title would not be there 70% of sales would not be there).

Yes, as a flat experience. Not VR.

Its VR conversion being offered by Nintendo is not Just small level or a
bit sized experience, what they are offering is VR mode for whole
game.

I am waiting for the inevitable reports of children having accident because they taped the labo to their face so they could run around handsfree, lawyers must already be chumping at the bit for this thing to be released.......some no doubt future headlines...
Person walks over cliff with Labo vr tied to face.
Labo VR banned for schools as children Labo trip prank gets out of control.
Mother sues Nintendo for childs ruined eyesight after child spends 3 weeks no stop wearing labo.
Person has sex with labo vr......in Iceland(the shop)  lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.