Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any developer releasing an online VR game is asking for trouble this early into the third commercial generation of VR (normal people were able to buy VR systems in the first commercial generation in the 80s and the second in the 90s, contrary to popular belief).

The problem is that it's a lot quicker and easier to develop an online multiplayer game than it is a single player campaign.

CrashFu
Consultant
Honestly, I doubt most developers realized how much competition they would have in such a (relatively) short amount of time.  I'm sure at least some of them we're thinking  "We'll be the first big competitive multiplayer game!"   but by the time their games were ready, there were at least dozens of almost identical games, all struggling to keep an active playerbase.

Until the market grows to a few times this size, VR devs would be WAY better off making single-player or even co-op games  (and I'm not just saying that because I like those kind of games 100x more than competitive shooters. :wink:  But seriously, if you make a good co-op game I guarantee I will buy it.)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea, they did go back and add a single player experience but the game was long a graveyard by that point. I had logged in for a free trial for it and there was literally 5 people online. I don't think people that owned it even noticed.

Still, if you do own it, it's something to mess around with lol. 

I also agree that multiplayer only is a big risk in any early tech. For every onward or Pavlov, there's a ton of failures. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

pyroth309 said:

Yea, they did go back and add a single player experience but the game was long a graveyard by that point. I had logged in for a free trial for it and there was literally 5 people online. I don't think people that owned it even noticed.

Still, if you do own it, it's something to mess around with lol. 

I also agree that multiplayer only is a big risk in any early tech. For every onward or Pavlov, there's a ton of failures. 

I think this is Valve last stand after what happen with HTC Vive. If their headset doesn't sell well this time though - they might give up in PCVR. In a way I dont want that to happen - but they are lacking on some key points that Oculus has gotten right for VR though such as ASW - putting money into get VR titles - creating software design for VR - etc. Valve has all that already so the fact they got side track isnt good and I feel lost them a lot of customers as well. They're going to have to play catch up just a bit - but hopefully that means software titles wont get left in the dust in the future.

pyroth309
Visionary

Mradr said:

I think this is Valve last stand after what happen with HTC Vive. If their headset doesn't sell well this time though - they might give up in PCVR. In a way I dont want that to happen - but they are lacking on some key points that Oculus has gotten right for VR though such as ASW - putting money into get VR titles - creating software design for VR - etc. Valve has all that already so the fact they got side track isnt good and I feel lost them a lot of customers as well. They're going to have to play catch up just a bit - but hopefully that means software titles wont get left in the dust in the future.

This is the only headset that bears Valve's name on it. I don't think the Vive has any lasting impact on Valve, good or bad. The vast majority of people that have anything negative to say about the Vive blames HTC.

Agreed on ASW. While SteamVR does have motion smoothing which is ASW 1.0, ASW 2.0 seems to be a step ahead. I'm curious if the Index will do anything special here

Also agree on software for the most part, thus far Valve has been quiet and I don't know if that's just distraction/disinterest or they have a plan for the Index. Time will tell. I'm also not sure they'll have to do much catching up if the Index is as advanced as rumors think it is and also when you consider how many VR sales are happening on their storefront from both Oculus and Vive users. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Agreed. This is Valve's "first" headset, so it can't be their "last" stand. lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

I mean as far as keeping users in the steam store - at some point Oculus will have a majority of users in terms of what store most people should use in terms of what will be coming out for it. I mean a lot of good titles already start out on the Oculus store now then at a later time show up on steam. That problem seems like it can only grow if the headset doesn't do so well for Valve along side the extra work into the SDK put in with Oculus software. I mean it be pretty hard - but it is possible they just out price themselves or really mess up on the build quality of the headset. So in a way, I think yes we could say its it last stand if it doesn't do well. More people would consider Oculus as king and with them already having a lead - that be a majority rule as far as voting with your money on what headset to get xD 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:

I mean as far as keeping users in the steam store - at some point Oculus will have a majority of value in terms of what store most people should use in terms of what will be coming out for it. I mean a lot of good titles already start out on the Oculus store now then at a later time show up on steam. That problem seems like it can only grow if the headset doesn't do so well for Vive along side the extra work into the SDK they put in with Oculus software.

I have seen the exact opposite. Cross-Platform titles appear on Steam first, and Oculus afterwards. It's been this way since 2016. People have complained about it quite a bit. The only titles that Oculus gets first are Oculus Exclusives, and those do not end up on Steam. I have no clue what titles you've seen on Oculus first and then Steam later. In all sincerity, I think that has happened like... zero times.

There are too many other headsets that rely on the Steam Store for it to go away completely. All the WMR Headsets and of course, Pimax. The Oculus Rift also has a substantial lead on Steam's Hardware survey. It's been this way for over a year. I'm not a fan of SteamVR, but I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:
There are too many other headsets that rely on the Steam Store for it to go away completely. All the WMR Headsets and of course, Pimax. The Oculus Rift also has a substantial lead on Steam's Hardware survey. It's been this way for over a year. I'm not a fan of SteamVR, but I don't see it going away anytime soon.

I didnt say the store would - just that they wont worry about creating new VR headsets for it. So far comparing the other headsets - in terms of scale - Oculus should still be seeing more sells. Pimax also use the Oculus store too. I heard there was talks even with MS to start using the Oculus store.

Oculus Exclusives is still the same as it starting there first. Many of those titles are worth the value for most headsets to try and get them even if they have to go over another method to get them to work. That is slowly become a thing. Nothing wrong with it - just what it will be. 

I hope though this creates competition though between the stores so that VR users still win at the end of the day:) I can't wait for the software that might come out of this little spat between headsets and the stores:))

bigmike20vt
Visionary

snowdog said:

RuneSR2 said:

There's nothing better than Index hype  ❤️  😄

xhsbaariwxlb.jpg

Fuck that!!! 😮

If you have to pop one or both of your eyes out of your fucking face I'm not going anywhere near the bloody thing!!!

And here I was thinking you were an enthusiast and you can't even be bothered to get a rusty spoon and pop out an eye or 2.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂