cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will inside out tracking be the future for all VR headsets?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really don't know if I should buy a Valve Index or Rift -S this time around. This is mainly down to not knowing which tracking method is going to be the future of VR. I see that Valve index is going to use base stations, but is that something Valve is going to continue with in the future, or do you think they will eventually turn to inside out tracking too?

I suspect Rift 2 will use inside out tracking, but do you think they could revert back to using outside in tracking once Rift 2 arrives? If inside out tracking is the future then I might as well get a Rift -S. I say this because Oculus will have a head start over Valve and a much better understanding of inside out tracking if that is the future of VR.
50 REPLIES 50

saami81
Rising Star
I think that both of them are going to be viable in future too.
Personally i want and need inside-out tracking because i dont live alone. Kids, dogs and cats can move my rift sensors accidentaly.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the type of tracking is just part of the design and should not even be considered from a consumer point of view. As long as it works, it works. Its being outside-in or inside-out has nothing to do with it.

So don't base your choice on the type of tracking, but on the fact that it works or not. In practice, inside-out tracking still has to prove itself, while outside-in has proven itself cumbersome. First buyers and media will be the ones to listen to about the tracking quality of the new devices. Then, only experience will tell what was the right choice.

Now that was my consumer self talking ^^. My engineer self would rather tell you that both systems are actually complementary. Inside-out tracking is essential for ease of use, whereas outside-in tracking is essential to cover the situations that inside-out can't on its own.
So in the future, VR industry should consider merging both systems and make an inside-out tracking that can be backed up with external sensors.
But of course they won't, as it would have a cost. If they do make a choice, they will clearly choose inside-out as it's the most practical for the consumer.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I would imagine that "both" will always be an option. Similar to a Wired Mouse/Keyboard vs a Wireless setup. Same with home Wifi. Most of my devices are Wireless, but I still prefer a pure Wired connection for my gaming PC.

jayhawk
Superstar
External sensors will end up that 'old vr tech' of yesterday, if it isn't already. Inside-out isn't just about getting rid of the need for external sensors. It also allows for AR/passthrough, and like the Quest the inside-out sees everything making it a 'go anywhere' device, as opposed to static external sensors that only see the devices. Even the dev in this vid said they were going to look into inside-out for future VR arcade experiences. If Inside-out makes it to VR arcade, then you know external will die. As far as I'm concerned Valve sticking with lighthouse was nothing more than lowering development time and cost.

inovator
Consultant
I have no doubt base tracking will go in the direction of the ancient tech.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

inovator said:

I keep forgetting how great it will be without having sensors. I intend getting a Laptop soon and I will be able to use Rift  -S in any room I choose to use it. A Laptop with a Geforce 1080 in it shouldn't be to expensive either, but I will see what Valve Index offers before I make the plunge and just buy Rift -S.

My intention then is to save like crazy for a Geforce 2080Ti and then get Rift 2 when it arrives.

inovator
Consultant

RedRizla said:

inovator said:

I keep forgetting how great it will be without having sensors. I intend getting a Laptop soon and I will be able to use Rift  -S in any room I choose to use it. A Laptop with a Geforce 1080 in it should be to expensive either, but I will see what Valve Index offers before I make the plunge and just buy Rift -S.

But the index will have sensors.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

inovator said:

RedRizla said:

inovator said:

I keep forgetting how great it will be without having sensors. I intend getting a Laptop soon and I will be able to use Rift  -S in any room I choose to use it. A Laptop with a Geforce 1080 in it should be to expensive either, but I will see what Valve Index offers before I make the plunge and just buy Rift -S.

But the index will have sensors.

Yes, I know. I still want to take a look at it though, but I'm 95% sure I'm getting a Rift -S now. My games are from the Oculus store and I prefer Oculus VR to steam VR. When do you reckon Oculus Rift -S will arrive though? I'm already getting impatient 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I really don't know if I should buy a Valve Index or Rift -S this time around. This is mainly down to not knowing which tracking method is going to be the future of VR. I see that Valve index is going to use base stations, but is that something Valve is going to continue with in the future, or do you think they will eventually turn to inside out tracking too?

I suspect Rift 2 will use inside out tracking, but do you think they could revert back to using outside in tracking once Rift 2 arrives? If inside out tracking is the future then I might as well get a Rift -S. I say this because Oculus will have a head start over Valve and a much better understanding of inside out tracking if that is the future of VR.

Here is the thing - unless Oculus say tomorrow that they're going to release a CV2 next year - you will have almost another 3 years with the Index that would pay it self off with in that time for whatever price it sells at. The question for you is that worth the value per you to have fun in VR. Why another 3 years? Because in trying to keep a low price - stuff like eye tracking will NOT fit into their current price point. The extra cost for tracking and having to put in new higher end displays to take advantage of the eye tracking would be way too much for something at that price point for many years.

Vision tracking is going to be the way of VR though. At the end of the day it offers many benefits and over all is cheaper to get right than all the external sensors can provide. The harder question and the reason I would say WAIT before making a decision is that we don't know many details about the Index yet. With that said - I am in the same boat. I just want the best of the best VR we can have right now. Oculus has the best software - just their Rift S is just lacking much value to me at that price point they want to keep at =/