Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:
There are too many other headsets that rely on the Steam Store for it to go away completely. All the WMR Headsets and of course, Pimax. The Oculus Rift also has a substantial lead on Steam's Hardware survey. It's been this way for over a year. I'm not a fan of SteamVR, but I don't see it going away anytime soon.

I didnt say the store would - just that they wont worry about creating new VR headsets for it. So far comparing the other headsets - in terms of scale - Oculus should still be seeing more sells. Pimax also use the Oculus store too. I heard there was talks even with MS to start using the Oculus store.

Oculus Exclusives is still the same as it starting there first. Many of those titles are worth the value for most headsets to try and get them even if they have to go over another method to get them to work. That is slowly become a thing. Nothing wrong with it - just what it will be. 

I hope though this creates competition though between the stores so that VR users still win at the end of the day:) I can't wait for the software that might come out of this little spat between headsets and the stores:))

Some people with  none oculus hmds buy oculus games, for sure, hell my mate with a vive has spent 100s on there..... However so long as other hmds can't access the store officially and a non endorsed app is needed, then steam have a massive advantage there. (And no I am not going down the rabbit hole of speculation about who benefits from that)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some people with one oculus hmds buy oculus games, for sure he'll my mate with a vive has spent 100s on there..... However so long as other hmds can't access the store officially and a non endorsed app is needed, then steam have a massive advantage there. (And no I am not going down the rabbit hole of speculation about who benefits from that)

I agree in lots of ways - it's just really interesting to see how both stores are setup to support the VR echo system. I mean in theory you can say that about both stores. Just from a position of number of units out there - Oculus does have a lead at this time base off the same store that was design for their hardware. Yet, I can remember people being upset games were on the Oculus Store that Vive users couldn't own officially for a while and even then had to use a 3rd party way in doing so. 

At this time there just nothing stopping people from using the steam store only - they all have access to the Oculus store too if they wish. Because they can do it - it should put pressure on Steam that they are not the only store a HMD can use and that means they need to be on their game if VR is going to continue to grow.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
Oculus Exclusives is still the same as it starting there first.

Oculus Exclusives release to the Oculus Store and "stay" on the Oculus Store. Can you name a single Oculus Exclusive that started on Oculus Store and was released to Steam?? I can't think of a single one.

Earlier you said that they release on Oculus "first" and then on Steam "second." But that is not true, because they don't go to Steam. Lucky's Tale, Farlands, Chronos, Edge of Nowhere, Robo Recall, The Unspoken. All Oculus Exclusives, not on Steam.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:
There are too many other headsets that rely on the Steam Store for it to go away completely. All the WMR Headsets and of course, Pimax. The Oculus Rift also has a substantial lead on Steam's Hardware survey. It's been this way for over a year. I'm not a fan of SteamVR, but I don't see it going away anytime soon.

I didnt say the store would - just that they wont worry about creating new VR headsets for it. So far comparing the other headsets - in terms of scale - Oculus should still be seeing more sells. Pimax also use the Oculus store too. I heard there was talks even with MS to start using the Oculus store.

Oculus Exclusives is still the same as it starting there first. Many of those titles are worth the value for most headsets to try and get them even if they have to go over another method to get them to work. That is slowly become a thing. Nothing wrong with it - just what it will be. 

I hope though this creates competition though between the stores so that VR users still win at the end of the day:) I can't wait for the software that might come out of this little spat between headsets and the stores:))

Some people with  none oculus hmds buy oculus games, for sure, hell my mate with a vive has spent 100s on there..... However so long as other hmds can't access the store officially and a non endorsed app is needed, then steam have a massive advantage there. (And no I am not going down the rabbit hole of speculation about who benefits from that)

Precisely. Non-Oculus owners must buy Oculus Exclusives from the Oculus Store and use a 3rd Party App to make it work because Steam does NOT carry them. On top of that... coming out of the Rift-S debacle, many people are upset with Facebook's direction and therefore want to move away from the locked Oculus ecosystem and over towards Steam. The manner in which Rift-S "appears" to make Rift CV1 and its tracking system a "phased out" product, this has catered to the sentiment of those who fear being locked to an Exclusive Store.

SteamVR is definitely looking better and better to many VR consumers. And with WMR growing in popularity, so will SteamVR.

jab
Rising Star
The locked 'trying to make your PC into a console' Oculus ecosystem is exactly what turned me away. And I am no Vive shill, I own every Oculus device possible, except the Quest (was released after I jumped ship).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:

Precisely. Non-Oculus owners must buy Oculus Exclusives from the Oculus Store and use a 3rd Party App to make it work because Steam does NOT carry them. On top of that... coming out of the Rift-S debacle, many people are upset with Facebook's direction and therefore want to move away from the locked Oculus ecosystem and over towards Steam. The manner in which Rift-S "appears" to make Rift CV1 and its tracking system a "phased out" product, this has catered to the sentiment of those who fear being locked to an Exclusive Store.

SteamVR is definitely looking better and better to many VR consumers. And with WMR growing in popularity, so will SteamVR.

Yes it is - I have one combat flight sim that I have to use Steam VR for - and it is the one I play the most.
Never really had an issue with it. I don't care all that much for Steam myself and having Steam VR for this game is only reason I have it. But it has always worked just fine and trouble free for me.

So when I switch to the Index having to go through Steam VR will not bother me all that much. I think I would rather use Steam VR  than WMR based off feedback I have been seeing.

inovator
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:

I agree with some of the things you say but where you said: The manner in which Rift-S "appears" to make Rift CV1 and its tracking system a "phased out" product, this has catered to the sentiment of those who fear being locked to an Exclusive Store. I believe the current tracking system is being phased out. Like you said the wmr headsets are becoming more popular. That may be due to the pain in the ass set up process, and due to sensors  being eliminated. When you say many people are upset due to the debacle  (I guess you mean the disagreement on how much  the s will be  improved) and will move on to steam vr. You may find the many moving to steamvr for the reasons you state may be the minority. That we won't know for a period of time after the release. Maybe I'm wrong and your right but I think I'm strongly in the running.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Yes, agree, that is what I been saying - but that is what is happening. More titles are showing up on there and they can do that because they own most of market share. It's no different than NV doing weird shit too to control the market away from AMD products. Still, Non-Oculus devices still has access to them if they wish and they know that as well or else we still would have people fighting that. I mean we already threaten them as a community to still allow or we simply mask/steal software.

Hopefully though Valve will be able to steal or gain market share back in its favor and we have two competing stores again along with two HMD going head to head.

inovator
Consultant
Mradr says:Hopefully though Valve will be able to steal or gain market share back in its favor and we have two competing stores again along with two HMD going head to head.

Absolutely: sony makes it the 3rd. The more competing the better it is for us all. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't know that Rift S can go "head to head" with the Index.
Maybe with the Reverb.