cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rtx 2070 performance in elite dangerous?

JASECORE
Honored Guest
Hey all I have just ordered a rtx2070 for my vr rig and can't seem to find any performance reviews on the 2070's that hasn't been spammed with "get 1080ti they are soooooo much better" (I'm running SLI 1080ti's in my main gaming rig I know they are better so don't bother posting it) please only 2070 owners post as I'm not interested in reading about any other card performance as I have already payed for it thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
RTX 2070 is still pretty new so maybe lot a lot of Oculus Rift users yet.  If you do a google search for ' rtx 2070 vs gtx 1080 ti '  You should at least get some indicative comparisons like this one;

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti/4029vs3918

Like usual a proper comparison probably depends on the quality of the rest of your PC (eg. CPU, RAM, SSD, …).  I hope your new rtx 2070 works well for you.  Please let us know.  Thanks.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

JASECORE
Honored Guest
Oh sorry z270 asus rog code 32gb 3200mhz g.skill 7700k@5ghz 1.28v delidded 250gb m.2 OS 2x 1tb ssd for games ax1200i psu.

healerf18
Honored Guest
I have an RTX 2070 and simply can't get it to perform well with Elite Dangerous in VR.  I've spent an entire morning with NVIDIA support updating drivers, etc. and they believe the card is functioning normally.  I have to drop graphics settings to low or medium to limit frame dropping and keep performance headroom at 20-30%.  At graphics settings you'd expect for this card my performance runs at 0% with very frequent frame dropping and freezing.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd sure appreciate it.

Swifty0ne
Expert Protege
EVGA RTX 2070 here and I have had no issues playing Elite Dangerous on my Rift.  Everything runs smooth from what I can tell.  Make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers installed.

ASUS ROG Motherboard 
Intel i7 8700K
EVGA RTX 2070
16 GB RAM
1 TB M.2 Nvme Storage drive.
Oculus Rift with 3 sensors and touch controllers.
(Bluetooth XBOX Controller for Elite Dangerous)

bigmike20vt
Visionary

healerf18 said:

I have an RTX 2070 and simply can't get it to perform well with Elite Dangerous in VR.  I've spent an entire morning with NVIDIA support updating drivers, etc. and they believe the card is functioning normally.  I have to drop graphics settings to low or medium to limit frame dropping and keep performance headroom at 20-30%.  At graphics settings you'd expect for this card my performance runs at 0% with very frequent frame dropping and freezing.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd sure appreciate it.

Are you running in steamVR mode instead of nativ oculus with some weird supersampling? My gtx980 ran better than that!
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

healerf18 said:

I've heard 2070's and 2080's can bottleneck some CPUs. Maybe check to see if that's what's going on.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
My laptop has an RTX 2070 (not Max-Q but still slower than desktop model), i7-8750H and 16GB of RAM while my desktop has an i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti and 16GB of RAM. The laptop is clearly inferior and it shows in games like DCS, which is completely unplayable on the laptop and Payday 2 which requires greatly reduced settings (CPU bottleneck). Elite Dangerous seems to run fine though. I only messed with it for a few minutes, but it was fairly smooth. No big battles in that few minutes though, so I can't say with certainty.

FrontierSupport
Adventurer
@healerf18 Please send us a ticket via: https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/ and we'll be happy to help! :smiley:  

-CMDR Vulcan