cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knucke/Index Controllers - Some Thoughts

Unless I'm wrong, I believe you'll be holding Knuckle controllers just as you hold Touch, regardless of whether you're gripping something in VR or not. The only difference will be when you open your grip just before grabbing something, instead of just pressing the grip button on Touch when grabbing something.

The reason I say this is that you need to be firmly gripping the controller to operate the other controls (movement etc) and to provide firm stability to the controller whether gripping something or not. If this is the case, then you're really just making quite a subtle difference to the experience.

But what might make a larger difference (at least for me) is having the constant touch of the strap across the back of my hand. This may, for me, contribute to having a reminder that you're using a controller rather than add to immersion.

Don't get me wrong, the old Vive controllers are overdue for an improved alternative and Knuckles are definitely that, but I'm not sure the grip mechanic is adding to the experience or detracting. Am I missing something?

I  welcome alternative thoughts.
69 REPLIES 69

pyroth309
Visionary

Unless I'm wrong, I believe you'll be holding Knuckle controllers just as you hold Touch, regardless of whether you're gripping something in VR or not. The only difference will be when you open your grip just before grabbing something, instead of just pressing the grip button on Touch when grabbing something.

The reason I say this is that you need to be firmly gripping the controller to operate the other controls (movement etc) and to provide firm stability to the controller whether gripping something or not. If this is the case, then you're really just making quite a subtle difference to the experience.

But what might make a larger difference (at least for me) is having the constant touch of the strap across the back of my hand. This may, for me, contribute to having a reminder that you're using a controller rather than add to immersion.

Don't get me wrong, the old Vive controllers are overdue for an improved alternative and Knuckles are definitely that, but I'm not sure the grip mechanic is adding to the experience or detracting. Am I missing something?

I  welcome alternative thoughts.

I agree with the sentiment that it could be a distraction if you tighten them too much or having anything on your hands bothers you, but the tension is fully adjustable. You can have it barely hugging or very snug if you like. I mean obviously if you're doing throwing motions you'll have to tighten it though. I haven't used the knuckles yet to say definitively but based on watching other people use them and how wide the strap is, it seems like it would feel similar to like wearing some gloves or something and probably won't detract too much.

This is a good breakdown of them. Like anything there's definite pros and cons to them and he lists the cons. He actually had problems making them feel like they aren't in his hand so you may be on to something.

There are a few things I take from that vid...
He mentions at one point that he no longer as to 'look for the grip button', was that an issue with wands? I don't think its a thing with Touch.

The other thing is multi-tasking... can you move and through a grenade at the same time for example? of operate any of the other controls and throw? or is that something you'd have to learn to do.... ie just open the lower part of your grip to release the grenade while still moving the thumbstick to move or any other control. IDK that seems like it could be tricky.

The fit thing is a valid comment, there must be a balance between not feeling that they're there.... and having them firm enough to be stable when not gripping.

It seems to me that they will need games designed with them in mind... i.e. standing still while throwing, as with the example he showed. Do you need to move whilst shooting arrows in In Death? I notice he seemed to be alternating between shooting and moving.

Edit: I've just been trying to open my grip without moving my thumb off the stick or buttons and I cant do it.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Edit: I've just been trying to open my grip without moving my thumb off the stick or buttons and I cant do it.

Haha. I can just picture you trying this.  :#

But I bet you can do this though right?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

pyroth309
Visionary

There are a few things I take from that vid...
He mentions at one point that he no longer as to 'look for the grip button', was that an issue with wands? I don't think its a thing with Touch.

Yea he was talking about the Wands with that comment.

The other thing is multi-tasking... can you move and through a
grenade at the same time for example? of operate any of the other
controls and throw? or is that something you'd have to learn to do....
ie just open the lower part of your grip to release the grenade while
still moving the thumbstick to move or any other control. IDK that seems
like it could be tricky.

The fit thing is a valid comment, there
must be a balance between not feeling that they're there.... and having
them firm enough to be stable when not gripping.

It seems to me
that they will need games designed with them in mind... i.e. standing
still while throwing, as with the example he showed. Do you need to move
whilst shooting arrows in In Death? I notice he seemed to be
alternating between shooting and moving.

I can do it no problem but my hands are pretty dextrous. Perhaps it is easier with the knuckles in your hands. I also agree that games will have to be made to fully utilize them. As far as moving when shooting, Sebastian isn't exactly the best player lol. Most of his footage is at a novice level at best. It always made me wonder what he is spending all of his time playing... or perhaps he's too busy with his channel and reviewing to actually play much. That said, he has a pretty good understanding of VR and gameplay even though his own mechanical ability isn't up to par.

Haha. I can just picture you trying this.  :#

But I bet you can do this though right?

hahaha yeah I tried and tried... and I had my tongue sticking out a little bit while I did it, but yes, strangely the Vulcan salute is no problem at all.

@pyroth309 I get the feeling you're younger than me. Every so often a conversation gives me little reminders of how old I am. 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable

hahaha yeah I tried and tried... and I had my tongue sticking out a little bit while I did it, but yes, strangely the Vulcan salute is no problem at all.

@pyroth309 I get the feeling you're younger than me. Every so often a conversation gives me little reminders of how old I am. 😛

LOL like KISS? XDD
Image result for KISS the band

Gene Simmons clearly would have no problem with Knuckles although a VR cover may be a good idea to avoid transfer of makeup.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Gene Simmons clearly would have no problem with Knuckles although a VR cover may be a good idea to avoid transfer of makeup.

Phew, thank GOD you said "makeup".

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Dilip
Rising Star
Knuckle controllers displayed some very awesome finger tracking ...Look for boneworks video