cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will inside out tracking be the future for all VR headsets?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really don't know if I should buy a Valve Index or Rift -S this time around. This is mainly down to not knowing which tracking method is going to be the future of VR. I see that Valve index is going to use base stations, but is that something Valve is going to continue with in the future, or do you think they will eventually turn to inside out tracking too?

I suspect Rift 2 will use inside out tracking, but do you think they could revert back to using outside in tracking once Rift 2 arrives? If inside out tracking is the future then I might as well get a Rift -S. I say this because Oculus will have a head start over Valve and a much better understanding of inside out tracking if that is the future of VR.
50 REPLIES 50

inovator
Consultant

logotomie said:

None of the current tracking solutions will survive more then 1 to 3 generations. At some point controllers will likely just track themselves independently of the headset -> no  more dead zones. But maybe someone has an even better idea how to do cheap good tracking of items in 3d. After all, tracking is the only aspect current headsets differ a lot, which means tracking is the one component that can be substituted most easily. 

Good point. I forgot about the controller tracking solution. But I have no doubt the sensor solution will be the 1st to go.

inovator
Consultant

jayhawk said:

inovator said:

Morgrum said:

Yea I am happy with my CV1.

I spend way to much money on Guns/Ammo, 3d printing, and little plastic/resin soldiers from Games Workshop so I can roll dice and go pew pew at my opponents to upgrade my VR for slight improvements.

For you its a slight improvement and I respect that. For me as a rift owner the s with no sensors is  a huge improvement in itself. The other improvemen's for me are a bonus.

The much reduced SDE and god rays are going to be more than slight as well. I had a Go very briefly but remember thinking to myself 'damn if only the Rift looked like this'

I totally agree. For me the sensor solution would have been enough for me to buy it.  Even if it had no other improvements.

Dilip
Rising Star
Inside-out tracking need not to be only future proof tracking but it has its own merits being much setup friendly occupy less ports, no extras needed for room scale.

I believe in future there need to be combination of multiple technologies for inside out tracking,where area not in sight of camera can be tracked with Ultrasonic where Ultrasonic only come in to picture when controllers leave camera sight. so practically one never miss tracking. There really got to be simless transition between multiple tracking techs.   

Anonymous
Not applicable
It won't be long before we have brain implants for VR. Unfortunately that means I'm going to have a tracking advantage compared to everyone else cos my brain is obviously FAR superior compared to all of your brains.

Thick heads.

B) 😄 😄 😄 B)

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

snowdog said:

It won't be long before we have brain implants for VR. Unfortunately that means I'm going to have a tracking advantage compared to everyone else cos my brain is obviously FAR superior compared to all of your brains.

Thick heads.

B) 😄 😄 😄 B)

NO! 
Havent you seen black mirror....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PdptmzBVZLo
This is the fun part of the episode it goes so far down the rabbit hole of NOPE!
WAAAGH!

jayhawk
Superstar

logotomie said:

None of the current tracking solutions will survive more then 1 to 3 generations. At some point controllers will likely just track themselves independently of the headset -> no  more dead zones. But maybe someone has an even better idea how to do cheap good tracking of items in 3d. After all, tracking is the only aspect current headsets differ a lot, which means tracking is the one component that can be substituted most easily. 

Headset still needs to track itself for positional. Cameras will still be in the front at least for stereo pass-through. Might as well throw in 3 more cameras and just put the tracking job and power load on the HMD. I don't see tracking in the controllers myself. If anything well lose controllers.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Having cameras in the controllers is asking for trouble. The battery in each one will only last 5 minutes before needing to be re-charged or replaced.

pyroth309
Visionary

snowdog said:

Having cameras in the controllers is asking for trouble. The battery in each one will only last 5 minutes before needing to be re-charged or replaced.

That hasn't stopped WMR!  😄

(they really last like 4 hours but it's annoying)

edmg
Trustee
Outside-in was always a kludge, because it restricts you to places where there are sensors or lighthouses. AR requires the headset to track itself so you can use it anywhere in the world, so VR will adopt that technology too.

Dilip
Rising Star

jayhawk said:

logotomie said:

Headset still needs to track itself for positional. Cameras will still be in the front at least for stereo pass-through. Might as well throw in 3 more cameras and just put the tracking job and power load on the HMD. I don't see tracking in the controllers myself. If anything well lose controllers.

5 Camera in HMD  covering entire 360 degree ...IR gloves tracking hand with all fingers in VR, if not glove than flawless hand tracking that need no equipments at all.