Which VR HMD will you buy next? - Rift S - Valve Index - Quest etc - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Which VR HMD will you buy next? - Rift S - Valve Index - Quest etc

Comments

• KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    Valve Index
    If the price is right and more spec info, most likely Valve Index, if not then i'll go with the Rift S
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    Undecided - Need more details
    What bothers me the most in VR is the lack of peripheral vision (FOV width) : I'm waiting on eye tracking based rendering to keep the GPU requirement down, but am curious about Valve's double lens innovation.

Wish I could use a Valve Index headset with my CV1 sensors and Touch controllers on the Oculus Store, really :)
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 491
    Trinity
    edited April 9
    I will need to see what the Index is offering first, but if not much more than the S then i might end up just grabbing a Oculus S on sale at some point just for the higher res, and i suppose i can live with the indoor tracking, and that will just leave the LCD as the fly in the ointment for me as i already have a WMR headset and it just kills the deep blacks, and i love me Space sims in VR, so that might be a deal breaker if it is that WMR level of crushed blacks, but i  am waiting until they are all released anyway, then see what the reviews say,.....and i was going to grab a Vive but i just found out it requires you to plug in those two base stations into wall sockets for tracking, and that for me seems worse that just having the USB cables for the rift sensors, so that is off the cards now.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,160
    Wintermute
    Quest & Valve Index
    OmegaM4N said:
    i just found out it requires you to plug in those two base stations into wall sockets for tracking, and that for me seems worse that just having the USB cables for the rift sensors, so that is off the cards now.

I've always had a Rift and only ever used their sensors, I currently have three. Out of curiosity what is bad about lighthouse tracking? Or did you just mean power consumption for your electricity bill? lol
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,366 Valuable Player
    edited April 9
    OmegaM4N said:
    and i was going to grab a Vive but i just found out it requires you to plug in those two base stations into wall sockets for tracking, and that for me seems worse that just having the USB cables for the rift sensors, so that is off the cards now.

Running a cable back to the PC is worst than just plugging in a power cable xD Unless your goal was no sensors then the Rift S is your target. Power cables can be ran twice as long and be much thinner than a thick USB cable. Considering you only need 2 vs 3-4 rift ones - you will save some power draw from the computer as well and wear and tear on the USBs.
  • DilipDilip Posts: 251
    Nexus 6
    Rift S score is really alarming for OC... If any one bother to look it up.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    edited April 9
    Quest
    kevinw729 said:
    Just come from a conference meeting with the Samsung Asia team and representative for States business in VR. Had a frank discussion about their current relationship with Oculus VR - and they revealed they have a Standalone VR system scheduled for a Q4 release that is their no phone GearVR using the Snapdragon 855. This is a major move to position themselves against the Quest - should have full specs in a day or so but this is major - especially for those that already were invested on the GearVR to move too.

855?  Schweppes!  Oh well, i'll give the Quest to a family member then.

Hmmm... let's hope it comes with Touch controllers.  It's going to come with some, not one i should think but then again, would Oculus want such a powerful contender sharing the Oculus platform?

This is all getting very confusing now.  Choices, choices!    :)

p.s. at least we found Atmos   

Trinity
    edited April 9
    OmegaM4N said:
    i just found out it requires you to plug in those two base stations into wall sockets for tracking, and that for me seems worse that just having the USB cables for the rift sensors, so that is off the cards now.

I've always had a Rift and only ever used their sensors, I currently have three. Out of curiosity what is bad about lighthouse tracking? Or did you just mean power consumption for your electricity bill? lol
    It is just a neatness thing, I have a nice corniss around my ceiling, and both my Rift sensors hang down from it, and the usb cables slip neatly and invisibly between it and the ceiling, so nothing can be seen apart from in the corner were the cables run down into the back of the PC, and that flat base that the rift sensor sits on is perfect and just slips between the ceiling of corness perfectly and hangs down like a fancy light........but i could not do that with the Vive tracking because i would need two extension cables running round the room to plug them in, and then my cables tidy OCD would kick in. lol

• kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    Wait to see CV2
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    edited April 9
    OmegaM4N said:
    I will need to see what the Index is offering first, but if not much more than the S then i might end up just grabbing a Oculus S on sale at some point just for the higher res, and i suppose i can live with the indoor tracking, and that will just leave the LCD as the fly in the ointment for me as i already have a WMR headset and it just kills the deep blacks, and i love me Space sims in VR, so that might be a deal breaker if it is that WMR level of crushed blacks, but i  am waiting until they are all released anyway, then see what the reviews say,.....and i was going to grab a Vive but i just found out it requires you to plug in those two base stations into wall sockets for tracking, and that for me seems worse that just having the USB cables for the rift sensors, so that is off the cards now.

Which WMR do you have? An LCD one I'm assuming? Not all WMR have LCD's. I have an Odyssey+ and it has very rich and dark blacks. 

And yea, room configuration could be a variable to whether Rift CV1 cabling is better or worse than Valve's base stations. For me, all of my rooms have multiple outlets, at least 4 per room (my VR room has 6) so it's much more convenient to run base stations as my PC is in a separate room. Inside out is definitely more tidy than both. 
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    Rift 2.0 is my next one I think
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    Nexus 6
    kzintzi said:
    Rift 2.0 is my next one I think
    If such thing ever release.....
    Trinity
    edited April 10
    pyroth309 said:
    OmegaM4N said:

Which WMR do you have? An LCD one I'm assuming? Not all WMR have LCD's. I have an Odyssey+ and it has very rich and dark blacks. 

And yea, room configuration could be a variable to whether Rift CV1 cabling is better or worse than Valve's base stations. For me, all of my rooms have multiple outlets, at least 4 per room (my VR room has 6) so it's much more convenient to run base stations as my PC is in a separate room. Inside out is definitely more tidy than both. 
    I have the CV1 and the Dell Vr visor, the Dell has a LCD, now the blacks on the CV1 are better than the Dell, you cannot miss it in dark games like Elite, it is quite obvious it is more grey than black, but were the Dell wins big time when playing say Elite is the screen res, everything is pin sharp on the Dell, no godrays and the screen door effect is the best i have seen so far in the headsets i have, but there as so many plus and minus to all these headsets at the moment, where will it all end, i can answer that, with my poor wallet being constantly empty. lol

I have been looking at the Oddessy plus and all the other VR headsets, but seeing as we are basically VR lepers over here in the UK/EU, we don't get access to most VR stuff officially. lol
    Nexus 6
    edited April 10
    OmegaM4N said:

I have been looking at the Oddessy plus and all the other VR headsets, but seeing as we are basically VR lepers over here in the UK/EU, we don't get access to most VR stuff officially. lol
    Buy it at $299
     https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/samsung-hmd-odyssey/8n2d0nk20p8m/jtx4?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I don't know how much toll Shipping and Duty will take on you...
    Ask friend in US to ship it to you without box in thermo packaging marked as GIFT.. No duty at all.
    You may loose warranty this way... so cons here. 

Are you UK resident??
    Trinity
    ^^Does not seem to ship to the UK, but i had tired this already with a few sites but the shipping costs and then the dreaded UK import tax just kill it stone dead, comes in at £503, £93 alone just to bring it into the UK. lol

At this rate i will just wait and see what Valve has to offer, and if the S is looking good in res bump, GR and SDE, then i might just grab that after all, on sale of course. ;)
    Wintermute
    Quest & Valve Index
    Dilip said:
    Rift S score is really alarming for OC... If any one bother to look it up.

What do you mean by score mate?
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,936 Valuable Player
    WMR
    I think I've decided that I just don't need the Quest if I'm getting the HP. Since I'm already wireless, the main selling point for the Quest was the improved resolution/optics for media consumption, but the HP kills it in that department.
    I don't have much need for VR on the go really.

If the Index turns out to be cheaper than expected with a wireless adapter available from day 1, then I think I'm gonna have to change my mind though. But if the HP is available in EU by the end of April I don't think I can resist :smile:
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,187
    Wintermute
    Quest
    vannagirl said:
      Is there a cross buy list for quest??
    Seems like quite some devs support cross buy already. Great for the Oculus eco system.
    https://uploadvr.com/rift-quest-cross-buy-games/

Also upload seems to update this list regularly.

Be good, die great !
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,582 Volunteer Moderator
    Quest
    KlodsBrik said:
    vannagirl said:
      Is there a cross buy list for quest??
    Seems like quite some devs support cross buy already. Great for the Oculus eco system.
    https://uploadvr.com/rift-quest-cross-buy-games/

Also upload seems to update this list regularly.

I just now saw this article and came here to link it. Beaten to the punch!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,565
    Project 2501
    Valve Index
    I already have a Rift so it makes more sense for me to get a Valve Index to play Valve exclusives. It's like buying a Sega Master System and an NES to cover your bases. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 400
    Trinity
    Quest & Rift S
    MowTin said:
    I already have a Rift so it makes more sense for me to get a Valve Index to play Valve exclusives. It's like buying a Sega Master System and an NES to cover your bases. 
    Ya, my position has always been you probably need to own a headset in the 2 major ecosystems, at least in the short term.

Rift for the content
    A lighthouse headset for the more enthusiast experience.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Wintermute
    Quest & Valve Index
    If I get a Valve Index, do I just need to install Revive and then I can automatically play games on Oculus Home? Is it all pretty simple?
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,936 Valuable Player
    WMR
    If I get a Valve Index, do I just need to install Revive and then I can automatically play games on Oculus Home? Is it all pretty simple?
    Yeah, but it might require some controller configuration to properly map the vive controllers (or whatever) to emulate Touch.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • Oli_BambooOli_Bamboo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Quest & Valve Index
    The moment I heard Oculus talking about ecosystems, I decide to go for the Index and started buying on Steam instead of Oculus Home. I don't want to have to buy on Oculus only to find out that I will be forever stuck within their "ecosystem". Seems to me like they lost their original vibe, probably thanks to centralization by Facebook, so I may not even buy the Quest. You vote for the world you want with with your wallet. 
    Wintermute
    Quest & Valve Index
    The moment I heard Oculus talking about ecosystems, I decide to go for the Index and started buying on Steam instead of Oculus Home. I don't want to have to buy on Oculus only to find out that I will be forever stuck within their "ecosystem". Seems to me like they lost their original vibe, probably thanks to centralization by Facebook, so I may not even buy the Quest. You vote for the world you want with with your wallet. 

If you go to the pub and they only sell Guinness but you prefer to drink Carling, you walk out of the pub?

Besides, from what I've been told you can use either platform with either HMD so doesn't seem to make a difference which way you swing?  :p lol
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    WMR
    I went with the Odyssey+ WMR headset. The $299 deal was too good to pass up, should have it early next week. Seems like it will be a decent step up in visuals from the original Rift, and I like that I won't have to have sensors/stations and wires all over the place. Hopefully the tracking will be good enough.
    Trinity
    MowTin said:
    Ya, my position has always been you probably need to own a headset in the 2 major ecosystems, at least in the short term.

Rift for the content
    A lighthouse headset for the more enthusiast experience.
    Ha, i am always tickled when i see just how we all think the same way, because the very reason i grabbed a Dell visor was because the Rift on steamVR was, and is to a point still is a pig when running Steam VR games, so i bought the Dell for SteamVr games, and it has worked out fine, Rift runs fantastic with Oculus stuff and the Dell just sales through most SteamVR games with no issues. ha
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 799
    3Jane
    Rift S
    But with a Rift I have access to Steam as well without a hack. Your timing seems a bit off. Oculus isn't doing anything new with their 'ecosystem' as far as PCVR. Index was only recently teased, so you just barely started buying off Steam?
  • FSX76FSX76 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited April 14
    Quest & Valve Index
    kevinw729 said:
    Just come from a conference meeting with the Samsung Asia team and representative for States business in VR. Had a frank discussion about their current relationship with Oculus VR - and they revealed they have a Standalone VR system scheduled for a Q4 release that is their no phone GearVR using the Snapdragon 855. This is a major move to position themselves against the Quest - should have full specs in a day or so but this is major - especially for those that already were invested on the GearVR to move too.
    Hi Kevin,
    is it this one:
    https://medium.com/silicon-valley-global-news/we-svgn-io-predicts-that-in-3-weeks-at-sdc-2018-samsung-will-unveil-a-new-standalone-ar-headset-4f78b3b2610c

Thanks in advance

Voted for Index + Quest
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,546 Valuable Player
    edited April 14
    FSX76 said:
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks for this @FSX76 - I am not sure that this system is devised from their Standalone Daydream project, as I think Samsung pulled out of the Google link?

I first saw a early GearVR standalone prototype at the end of 2016 when the Samsung / Oculus partnership was still strong  (and wondered why it never saw the light of day). Now that the relationship has been "redefined", I think they have dusted off the old GearVR concept and added more power and 6DoF (with controllers) to be a Quest-beater.

Samsung's access to greater manufacturing clout, the new OLED screens, the ability to use the SD855 and the previous GearVR recognition, places this in a strong position. Placing more pressure on Quest to come out of the starting gate hot with strong marketing in order to establish any kind of lead.

Edit - Also lets not forget the new Pico Standalone announcement made last week with the Pico Neo 2, that includes the SD845 - again substantively more powerful than the SD835a - https://uploadvr.com/pico-neo-2/

The Standalone scene is going to be crowded, lets hope there is a strong front runner to establish the scene so game developers can get on board.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959