cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which VR HMD will you buy next? - Rift S - Valve Index - Quest etc

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Hi guys, since we now know that Valve Index and Rift S will be released very soon, I was curious to see where everyone in the community currently stands on their next purchase.

I've tried to give as many options as possible below and included bundles with Quest + Rift S and Quest + Valve Index since I'm guessing many in the community will be buying more then one HMD just as I plan to myself.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
156 REPLIES 156

pyroth309
Visionary

OmegaM4N said:

I will need to see what the Index is offering first, but if not much more than the S then i might end up just grabbing a Oculus S on sale at some point just for the higher res, and i suppose i can live with the indoor tracking, and that will just leave the LCD as the fly in the ointment for me as i already have a WMR headset and it just kills the deep blacks, and i love me Space sims in VR, so that might be a deal breaker if it is that WMR level of crushed blacks, but i  am waiting until they are all released anyway, then see what the reviews say,.....and i was going to grab a Vive but i just found out it requires you to plug in those two base stations into wall sockets for tracking, and that for me seems worse that just having the USB cables for the rift sensors, so that is off the cards now.

Which WMR do you have? An LCD one I'm assuming? Not all WMR have LCD's. I have an Odyssey+ and it has very rich and dark blacks. 

And yea, room configuration could be a variable to whether Rift CV1 cabling is better or worse than Valve's base stations. For me, all of my rooms have multiple outlets, at least 4 per room (my VR room has 6) so it's much more convenient to run base stations as my PC is in a separate room. Inside out is definitely more tidy than both. 

kzintzi
Trustee
Rift 2.0 is my next one I think
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Dilip
Rising Star

kzintzi said:

Rift 2.0 is my next one I think

If such thing ever release.....

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

pyroth309 said:

OmegaM4N said:

I will need to see what the Index is offering first, but if not much more than the S then i might end up just grabbing a Oculus S on sale at some point just for the higher res, and i suppose i can live with the indoor tracking, and that will just leave the LCD as the fly in the ointment for me as i already have a WMR headset and it just kills the deep blacks, and i love me Space sims in VR, so that might be a deal breaker if it is that WMR level of crushed blacks, but i  am waiting until they are all released anyway, then see what the reviews say,.....and i was going to grab a Vive but i just found out it requires you to plug in those two base stations into wall sockets for tracking, and that for me seems worse that just having the USB cables for the rift sensors, so that is off the cards now.

Which WMR do you have? An LCD one I'm assuming? Not all WMR have LCD's. I have an Odyssey+ and it has very rich and dark blacks. 

And yea, room configuration could be a variable to whether Rift CV1 cabling is better or worse than Valve's base stations. For me, all of my rooms have multiple outlets, at least 4 per room (my VR room has 6) so it's much more convenient to run base stations as my PC is in a separate room. Inside out is definitely more tidy than both. 

I have the CV1 and the Dell Vr visor, the Dell has a LCD, now the blacks on the CV1 are better than the Dell, you cannot miss it in dark games like Elite, it is quite obvious it is more grey than black, but were the Dell wins big time when playing say Elite is the screen res, everything is pin sharp on the Dell, no godrays and the screen door effect is the best i have seen so far in the headsets i have, but there as so many plus and minus to all these headsets at the moment, where will it all end, i can answer that, with my poor wallet being constantly empty. lol

I have been looking at the Oddessy plus and all the other VR headsets, but seeing as we are basically VR lepers over here in the UK/EU, we don't get access to most VR stuff officially. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Dilip
Rising Star

OmegaM4N said:

I have been looking at the Oddessy plus and all the other VR headsets, but seeing as we are basically VR lepers over here in the UK/EU, we don't get access to most VR stuff officially. lol

Buy it at $299
 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/samsung-hmd-odyssey/8n2d0nk20p8m/jtx4?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I don't know how much toll Shipping and Duty will take on you...
Ask friend in US to ship it to you without box in thermo packaging marked as GIFT.. No duty at all.
You may loose warranty this way... so cons here. 

Are you UK resident??

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^Does not seem to ship to the UK, but i had tired this already with a few sites but the shipping costs and then the dreaded UK import tax just kill it stone dead, comes in at £503, £93 alone just to bring it into the UK. lol

At this rate i will just wait and see what Valve has to offer, and if the S is looking good in res bump, GR and SDE, then i might just grab that after all, on sale of course. 😉
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Dilip said:

Rift S score is really alarming for OC... If any one bother to look it up.

What do you mean by score mate?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Wildt
Consultant
I think I've decided that I just don't need the Quest if I'm getting the HP. Since I'm already wireless, the main selling point for the Quest was the improved resolution/optics for media consumption, but the HP kills it in that department.
I don't have much need for VR on the go really.

If the Index turns out to be cheaper than expected with a wireless adapter available from day 1, then I think I'm gonna have to change my mind though. But if the HP is available in EU by the end of April I don't think I can resist :smile:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

vannagirl said:

Is there a cross buy list for quest??

Seems like quite some devs support cross buy already. Great for the Oculus eco system.
https://uploadvr.com/rift-quest-cross-buy-games/

Also upload seems to update this list regularly.

Be good, die great !

nalex66
MVP
MVP

KlodsBrik said:

vannagirl said:

Is there a cross buy list for quest??

Seems like quite some devs support cross buy already. Great for the Oculus eco system.
https://uploadvr.com/rift-quest-cross-buy-games/

Also upload seems to update this list regularly.

I just now saw this article and came here to link it. Beaten to the punch!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo