Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Exploration

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Getting well  into my second month of exploration along this route:

3rv31vbcbl36.jpg

If you get fed up with bugs or mundane missions in the Bubble, it's well worth heading out into the black. Taking your time, doing a sesh whenever you feel like it, with no stress, no time constraints or targets - just cruise and do what you like. I'm out here with Commander Hazardous Matt and another companion, and so far my undiscovered system count is at 134. Yes, that's 134 systems that will have my commander name on them - and an awful lot top-up for the bank, and I'm nowhere near the end of the journey yet.

First, we met up at the "bottom" of the galaxy (or top, depends which way you look at it!) and then headed towards the Lagoon Colonia Highway stop. From there we headed out towards the NGC/War & Peace Nebula. There were quite a few undiscovered systems along the way - but not much that was spectacular or particularly noteworthy - just regular systems, 65 undiscovered in all. When we got to NGC, I found that all of the systems from 20LY out had been discovered.

Whilst we sat there, wondering what to do next, I came up with the route in the picture above, and Matt was keen - so off we set. Since leaving NGC, almost every system I have come across has been undiscovered and there has been lots of nice screenshot material. Planets of all kinds of colours, werid huge gas giants and silvery, mirror-like rings, not to mention very spectacular looking nebula clouds.

Here are some screens from along the way. I'm only at stage 2 - and there are another 11 to go yet! Seey sometime around Christmas.... maybe! 😉

51blj33zs7q4.bmp

See these clouds on the galaxy map?:

fah59bqftjlt.jpg

Well, they are there in the galaxy, too:

lzr32edsnzz4.jpg
q3jobvp8y412.jpg

Planets are often coloured based on the clouds around them - like this one:

zbw88wfglwhg.jpg

A typical system, ripe for scanning and imprinting with my name:

btbjaqzq2c3q.jpg

...and in many cases, they are just a few light years from each other, all in a nice, tight cluster:

c27aoqlm6ewl.jpg

You can see the nebulae we are heading for - it's almost like joining the dots:

iyr3ed8xdh3s.jpg

these are a couple of the nicer ringed bodies - the second one is actually a shining Brown (Tauri) star and was very spectacular in-game:

i9zn3iw8jjcc.jpg

v5118iszkea0.jpg

This is where we are now - was a little reluctant to enter this aggressive looking cloud - but no worries, apart from cutting out some of the light and actually obscuring some of the neighbouring stars, it's quite harmless:

r1ea1d35dt9g.jpg

epu35yjb3yhp.jpg

All of this, not even half as far away as Colonia - so you don't have to go that far to find it, and find 'fame' in the form of your name spread across astronomical bodies in the galaxy.

And it's so much more relaxing... B)

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
648 REPLIES 648

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lmfao, are you surprised that you got a ban? Seriously? Even starting a thread like that was asking for trouble before you even thought about mixing politics and religion into it lol  😄 😄 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it was around the time it all had started when it kicked off 3yrs ago now. In UK we have this liberty but the internet brought in these moderations to control it. News yesterday is Zuckerberg is asking governments to take more control of the web. The fact is, they already do but this is just to highlight the change in the background and open it up to even greater control.

It was after all in Off-Topic Threads: "Freedom Of Speech in UK" - which is a thing over here and so exists to be catalogued in the history of society.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RattyUK said:

Digikid1 said:

Is there a way to tell the ship to go to a place that is more than one jump away....tell the ship to jump again automatically?  Kinda annoying to stop, realign, then jump again. 

Nope...   Designed to allow the pirates more chance to 'first dibs' on all of your tasty stuff!

Or maybe just to use the star to refill your fuel if a fuel star.

C'mon, if you're not bothered with refuelling you can be around the star and starting the next jump within seconds of the FSD being ready, also think that each new system you jump in to is worth credits...

Yeap, plus don't continue to sit with your throttle are 0 while refueling and then being hit with a interdiction, as that will drag you instantly out with no chance of evading it......i learned that costly 4.500.000  credit rebuy ship lesson the hard way. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Greyman
Superstar
I've just set off on a near 80k light year round trip from Explorer's Anchorage to Beagle Point and let's say, I may be some time.  

I'm a bit of a wuss, as I normally restrict my route to KGBFOAM systems, but that doesn't appear to work for this journey, so I will need to remove that restriction from my galaxy map options.  I'd also prefer to avoid neutron jet stream boosts, but might get tempted to give at least one a try, just to add a bit of excitement.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I'm currently bored senseless with my extended tour to Colonia. Still heading 90° left of the Bubble, not yet started towards the centre, or even in the direction of Colonia. This new FSS thing gets very tedious very quickly, not to mention the detailed surface scans. Really missing the old way, though I suppose the new one is welcome for those who don't like to stray too far. I'm only scanning metallic and Earth like or water worlds, too.

I was looking at a very nice, colourful little nebula with interest, but seems it's out of range of what's covered.

Still 142x40LY jumps to the spot I've chosen on the outer edge of the galaxy. I've just started finding undiscovered systems mixed with those already discovered - so it must be a well-travelled route. Should have headed down again, instead. Oh well.

678m3r6b3ma2.jpg

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Greyman
Superstar
Finding and landing at geological sites adds a bit of variety and helps boost your supplies of the more rare materials, but I am expecting that I will probably still experience what you are describing.  

Hundreds of jumps and FSS sessions are bound to wear a bit thin, but if the worst comes to the worst, I could always self-destruct my way back to EA and then work my way back to the bubble.   ?

One thing I will say though is that I am mightily impressed with the Krait Phantom.  The engineering was a bit of a pain, starting from scratch, but the jump-range is awesome and fuel scooping is so easy and relatively risk free.  Also, you can carry off-line items to repair your hull and modules if the need still arises.  

Edit:  oh!!, it would appear that my exploration antics have warranted a rise to the heady heights of Elite status.  I'll probably go and get lost now.  🙂

RattyUK
Trustee
@Greyman  - you can refuel at a star with zero throttle and avoid interdiction - just point the rear of your ship to directly face the star, fun to do in known NPC interdiction spots - they try to get behind you.... :wink:
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Greyman
Superstar
Thanks, but it was my previous tendency to getting too close to the star and overheating that was the risk I was avoiding.

I don't come across too many "bad guys" out here, especially in Solo mode. ?

I normally throttle back, whilst in FSD, so that my exit speed is around 0.20c and that gets me safely around the star and refuelled in no time.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^^Having a heat sink installed can be a life saver just in case you do
get too close and end up roasting as you wait for the FSD drive to
cooldown. 😉
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Or fully engineering PowerPlant can reduce heat considerably to never need one whilst Usage is lowered to around 60%.