cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift owners upgrade to Rift_S or HP Reverb

Dilip
Rising Star
Have seen wonderful announcements but made me wonder due to not so big difference in pricing and great difference in resolution 
my wonder is those who already own RIFT and wish to upgrade will they upgrade to RIFT S .. (will it really be an upgrade?) or they 
switch to HP REVERB which is very strong opponent  IMO due to visual fidelity and nice ergonomics... VR WARS are upon us.  
441 REPLIES 441

Anonymous
Not applicable

No @Dilip , no PS for me, PC has always been enough for my gaming needs. My brother's the opposite, he's always favoured PS. I have DCS World (and DSC Warthog and  Black Shark prior to that).

I think there may be significant differences between console and PC combat sims in that PC sims tend try and replicate many more aircraft systems as accurately as possible and perhaps that's the cause of my fondness for them and at the same time my frustration at them not performing well in VR.

DCS World is a major improvement performance-wise put still pushes my system to its limits with CV1 (if I want most of the eye candy turned up), I'm pretty sure that would be well beyond what my GPU/CPU could cope with if using a Reverb. Really looking forward to FlyInside though, I miss civilian flight.

Used to spend many, many hours is MS Flight Sim but VR has completely ruined that. Monitor flight simming  is just so disappointing now.

Edit: That Skies Unknown looks pretty sweet though!

Regarding DCS World:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3869786&postcount=2333

Hoping we see this 50% performance improvement very soon.
It would certainly help in running it in the upcoming new headsets.

Dilip
Rising Star

DCS World is a major improvement performance-wise put still pushes my system to its limits with CV1 (if I want most of the eye candy turned up), I'm pretty sure that would be well beyond what my GPU/CPU could cope with if using a Reverb. 

Your system details show you use Titan X Maxwell right?

Even TitanX maxwell can not do VR at full details on CV1 that doesn't seem good.

dburne said:

Regarding DCS World:

I hadn't read that and it sounds like pretty good news.

I mentioned in RedRizla's thread though that 2160 x 2160 per eye is a 360% increase in pixels so a 50% improvement in performance will help a lot but I think this needs to be born in mind.

There are lots of options for improving performance including rendering at a lower resolution than the headset's native resolution, upscaling etc but I think we need to manage our expectations.

I feel like I'm being the miserable git at the party sometimes when I say these things but I've also seen so many posts expressing disappointment when things don't turn out the way people want on both the hardware and software front.

Anyway, I may be being over pessimistic so feel free to think of me as Mr Doom & Gloom.

Edit: I think all I'm saying is wait and see how the sims you enjoy perform with the Reverb and at what settings before deciding to buy it, I wouldn't be the first to jump in.

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

Regarding DCS World:

I hadn't read that and it sounds like pretty good news.

I mentioned in RedRizla's thread though that 2160 x 2160 per eye is a 360% increase in pixels so a 50% improvement in performance will help a lot but I think this needs to be born in mind.

There are lots of options for improving performance including rendering at a lower resolution than the headset's native resolution, upscaling etc but I think we need to manage our expectations.

I feel like I'm being the miserable git at the party sometimes when I say these things but I've also seen so many posts expressing disappointment when things don't turn out the way people want on both the hardware and software front.

Anyway, I may be being over pessimistic so feel free to think of me as Mr Doom & Gloom.

Edit: I think all I'm saying is wait and see how the sims you enjoy perform with the Reverb and at what settings before deciding to buy it, I wouldn't be the first to jump in.

Yeah fully agree.
At this time I am leaning more to the Valve Index. Will see when full product details are released.

Dilip said:

DCS World is a major improvement performance-wise put still pushes my system to its limits with CV1 (if I want most of the eye candy turned up), I'm pretty sure that would be well beyond what my GPU/CPU could cope with if using a Reverb. 

Your system details show you use Titan X Maxwell right?

Even TitanX maxwell can not do VR at full details on CV1 that doesn't seem good.

Yeah, it's a 3 year old Titan and has served me well... possibly the best value card I've ever bought considering how long I've had it. According to comparison charts it's equivalent to a 1070 now so I think I'm pretty much in the middle of what people are using for CV1.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

kevinw729 said:

I think the most amount of official commentary on CV2 came from the Nate interview in TESTED during GDC, and that was not a lot. It is clear that path has not been set in stone (from what had been previously trailed with Half-Dome), and the reaction to Rift-S will now shape that future direction.

But in reality, I have to ask how many Rift owners would have ever imagine to see this as the replacement platform for their CV1 and Constellation setup? 

8v0b3yvjgy19.png

I was expecting something like this until Rift 2 arrives because I was one of those people crying out for better lenses, less god rays and a more comfortable headset. I'm not really sure what route you expect Oculus to take given a highend headset will probably require you to have a Geforce 2080Ti to get the most out of it.

Do Oculus first try and get lots of people into VR by creating a cheaper Rift -S, or do they continue to to cater for a niche market and make a highend headset that not many devs will cater for due to the lack of VR headsets sales?

I think highend Rift 2 is on hold for a reason and Rift -S will be available soon for a good reason. First of all it's to get as many people into VR as possible with a cheaper headset that doesn't require you to have a Graphics Card that cost £1000 plus. It's only when hardware becomes cheap enough that it does make sense to build a highend headset. All that might change though once eye tracking is available at the right price.

Dilip
Rising Star

RedRizla said:

kevinw729 said:

I think highend Rift 2 is on hold for a reason and Rift -S will be available soon for a good reason. First of all it's to get as many people into VR as possible with a cheaper headset that doesn't require you to have a Graphics Card that cost £1000 plus. It's only when hardware becomes cheap enough that it does make sense to build a highend headset. All that might change though once eye tracking is available at the right price.

$399 is by no mean a cheap pricing... If that were the case they should have released Rift S at $ 300 they didn't its even expensive to CV1 with constellation at last known price $350. Agreed they improved little on resolution but did cut corner by down grade to LCD from original OLED, that too single only so no scope of physical IPD change.. So there are many mix bag decisions gone in to it... some reviewer did gone to length of calling Rift S means Rift Sh#!, will not hold breath for eye tracking as its not that useful unless foveted rendering implemented by each and every title, since all known hmd will not have it it will be niche demographic even then. fixed foveted rendering is already deployed in Oculus Go with varied level of success. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I remember 2 years ago (2017) when people would come to this forum to brag about TPCast and the Vive. All the rage back then was how Vive is going cable-free and poor 'ol Rift CV1 owners are still having to run cables for VR.

Here we are in 2019 and TPCast turned out to be crap (literally burning peoples scalps).

Meanwhile, in Oculus Land we are getting pure Wireless Stand Alone with Quest and Inside-Out Tracking for Rift-S; yet Oculus products are still supposed to act as the object of ridicule. It's silly!

😄

Dilip
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

Meanwhile, in Oculus Land we are getting pure Wireless Stand Alone with Quest and Inside-Out Tracking for Rift-S; yet Oculus products are still supposed to act as the object of ridicule. It's silly!

😄

TP Cast is third party .. They have released same adepter for Rift Too,

https://www.tpcastvr.com/store/TPCAST-Wireless-Adapter-for-Oculus-Rift-p97616958

One can get same burns if they use it with Rift. 

Imitation of third party adapter has no merit to consider one platform better over another.  

Quest will be competitive product for Focus and not for VIVE, Since mobile hardware with SD SoC will have limitation of details its not fair to compare.  Focus Plus is already 6DoF wireless stand alone from that PoV. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Dilip said:

RedRizla said:

kevinw729 said:

$399 is by no mean a cheap pricing... If that were the case they should have released Rift S at $ 300 they didn't its even expensive to CV1 with constellation at last known price $350. Agreed they improved little on resolution but did cut corner by down grade to LCD from original OLED, that too single only so no scope of physical IPD change.. So there are many mix bag decisions gone in to it... some reviewer did gone to length of calling Rift S means Rift Sh#!

I suspect $399 is a starting price that will drop in the not to distant future, but if you think $399 is a lot of money then how do you feel about paying over £1000 for a Geforce 2080Ti? I don't find $399 a lot of money when I consider what I'm getting for that price. You make the Rift -S sound like it's shite when all the hands on reviews have been fairly positive.

Lets just see what the Valve Index costs and what tech it has built in. But if it's got eye tracking and higher resolution screens what would you say would be a fair price for Valve Index then?