cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift owners upgrade to Rift_S or HP Reverb

Dilip
Rising Star
Have seen wonderful announcements but made me wonder due to not so big difference in pricing and great difference in resolution 
my wonder is those who already own RIFT and wish to upgrade will they upgrade to RIFT S .. (will it really be an upgrade?) or they 
switch to HP REVERB which is very strong opponent  IMO due to visual fidelity and nice ergonomics... VR WARS are upon us.  
441 REPLIES 441

Wildt
Consultant

Zenbane said:

I remember 2 years ago (2017) when people would come to this forum to brag about TPCast and the Vive. All the rage back then was how Vive is going cable-free and poor 'ol Rift CV1 owners are still having to run cables for VR.

Here we are in 2019 and TPCast turned out to be crap (literally burning peoples scalps).

Meanwhile, in Oculus Land we are getting pure Wireless Stand Alone with Quest and Inside-Out Tracking for Rift-S; yet Oculus products are still supposed to act as the object of ridicule. It's silly!

😄

That guy didnt use a TPcast, which btw isn't crap. 
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Dilip
Rising Star

RedRizla said:

Dilip said:

RedRizla said:

kevinw729 said:

I think highend Rift 2 is on hold for a reason and Rift -S will be available soon for a good reason. First of all it's to get as many people into VR as possible with a cheaper headset that doesn't require you to have a Graphics Card that cost £1000 plus. It's only when hardware becomes cheap enough that it does make sense to build a highend headset. All that might change though once eye tracking is available at the right price.

$399 is by no mean a cheap pricing... If that were the case they should have released Rift S at $ 300 they didn't its even expensive to CV1 with constellation at last known price $350. Agreed they improved little on resolution but did cut corner by down grade to LCD from original OLED, that too single only so no scope of physical IPD change.. So there are many mix bag decisions gone in to it... some reviewer did gone to length of calling Rift S means Rift Sh#!

I suspect $399 is a starting price that will drop in the not to distant future, but if you think $399 is a lot of money then how do you feel about paying over £1000 for a Geforce 2080Ti? I don't find $399 a lot of money when I consider what I'm getting for that price. You make the Rift -S sound like it's shite when all the hands on reviews have been fairly positive.

Lets just see what the Valve Index costs and what tech it has built in. But if it's got eye tracking and higher resolution screens what would you say would be a fair price for Valve Index 

Certainly not bashing Rift for heavy pricing $399 is not lof of money...Rift S is good and same time not cheap for what changes has been done to original CV1 which was last sold at $350.

I don't expect Valve Index to feature eye tracking, if it does even then it does not too much of matter to me, higher resolution does matter as increased clarity is more impressive. I don't expect them to be below $500 that does not include light house emitters needed 60$ each. 

My point was downgrading CV1 to single display and LCD after removing constellation system thus saving money at many points put in to multi cameras and making it $50 more expensive at same time making tracking less accurate and prone to loose in camera blind spots is seemingly strange choice, not meeting with theory of not releasing RIFT 2 to increase adoption..just that.

I fully agree that asking 1000 GBP card requirement to run VR will not help to increase adoption. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Dilip - Can I just remind you that PSVR has sold over 4 million VR headsets, requires just one camera and has poorer resolution then CV1. The cost of PS -VR and controllers right now is around £350.

The Rift -S trumps PS-VR, in every department, so a lot of people will argue it's worth £399.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:
That guy didnt use a TPcast, which btw isn't crap. 

Yeah my bad, it was Vive's own Wireless Adapter. Sorry, didn't mean to rag on your toy!
😉

Dilip
Rising Star

RedRizla said:

@Dilip - When you come back to me with a price on what you think the Valve index should cost if it has eye tracking and higher resolutions screens. Can I just remind you that PSVR has sold over 4 million VR headsets, which requires just one camera and the resolution is poorer then CV1. The cost of PS -VR and controllers right now is over £350.

The Rift -S trumps PS-VR, in every department, so a lot of people will argue it's worth £399.

Isn't PS-VR is different product as it cater Console. Since you brought it in 

$344 (For all necessity combo, include 02 Games)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX8JZ4666&Description=pSVR&cm_re=pSVR-_-79-261...
$300 (1 TB PS4) 
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868110264&Description=PS4&cm_re=PS4-_-68-110-...

So we are looking at $650 investment that includes 02 VR games too.

Now the Rift-S side of picture..

RIFT -S $399 

Mid Tier VR Capable PC $1200

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102579&Description=VR%20computer&cm_re=VR_...

Ultra Low end VR Capable PC $ 800

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102558&Description=VR%20computer&cm_re=VR_...

So RIFT is Investment of  $ 1200 Minimum and $ 1600 if you go midrange, Games not included. so add pricing. 

So where is comparison... PSVR still seats at Half Price. 
IT may be terrible in tracking and basically we are comparing apple with oranges here but  since PSVR was brought to talk i cleared here. 

VALVE INDEX is NOT on My RADAR... It never was...
Waiting for Oculus Quest... 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Dilip - The CV1 is £350 now, but was £599 when I purchased it. You are talking about a 3 year old product that has dropped in price. Just like everything else that's new prices start high and then they drop. The Rift -S isn't a downgrade and if you have owned an Oculus GO you would know this. The Oculus Go display looks miles better then CV1 with the new lenses, so how is that a downgrade when the Rift -S will use the same screen and lenses? 

The inside out tracking on the Rift -S has had positive hands on reviews, so how is that a downgrade? It actually makes the Rift -S less of a hassel to setup and more mobile. 

The IPD adjuster is a downer for some people, but not the majority.

Edit: Can you point me to a hands on review that says the the Rift -S has poor tracking?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Dilip - The CV1 came with lots of free games more then the 2 free games that PS-VR offered, so not sure what you mean? I'm also getting confused when you are comparing the price of console and PC. Why should Oculus drop their price of their headset just because a PC is more expensive then a console? 

lensmandave
Superstar
Another hands on brief review of the Reverb. The small sweet spot sounds a bit of a shame 😞
https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/bbj2p9/i_tried_the_hp_reverb_today_here_are_impress...
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Wildt
Consultant
Garh.. I'm IPD 70+, so the small sweetspot + lack of hardware adjustment might tip the scales back to the Index...  oh well, hope it ain't stupid expensive then.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Dilip
Rising Star

RedRizla said:

@Dilip - The CV1 came with lots of free games more then the 2 free games that PS-VR offered, so not sure what you mean? I'm also getting confused when you are comparing the price of console and PC. Why should Oculus drop their price of their headset just because a PC is more expensive then a console? 

Console and PC price compared because your this comment...

RedRizla said:

@Dilip- Can I just remind you that PSVR has sold over 4 million VR headsets, requires just one camera and has poorer resolution then CV1. The cost of PS -VR and controllers right now is around £350.The Rift -S trumps PS-VR, in every department, so a lot of people will argue it's worth £399. 

As end cost for complete VR solution is almost half to that of RIFT S + VR pc. so to express that its not costly way.