cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie questions....be gentle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I'm a newbie to the VR world and have only used my new Oculus Go a couple of times. I have some questions and I apologise in advance if they are dumb and you roll your eyes.....my aim is to use the Go to watch movies and videos that I have stored on my Windows 7 PC. The media is also duplicated to a WD NAS drive. Everything is on the same home wi-fi network and the signal is strong.

I read some good things about Skybox player so I've installed that as a first step. I'm having a few issues with it and have posted those questions to them. In short, some of my media plays OK but with no sound, I'm not sure what type/resolution of movies to download for the sharpest viewing experience as some of the test clips I've used have been fuzzy - that sort of thing.

So, Q1 - bearing in mind that I want to watch media sitting on my PC, not clutter the headset with files - what do people out there recommend as the best player for this type of configuration?

Q2: A bit more general - can anyone recommend any apps that have a real 'wow' factor about them? I'm not really into the gaming side of things yet but I'm open to suggestions.

Finally, for now, Q3 - just watching a movie, what kind of battery life are people getting from their Go headsets? Trying to watch a 2-hour+ movie on a unit with a battery life less than that seems a bit daft. Any tips on prolonging battery life to make it movie-length-friendly?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Q1; you don't need to clutter your Go's internal storage if you manage things correctly.  Just download the apps you need and uninstall ones you do not need.
Q2; all Go games/apps are WOW for me, lol!  Up to you to find which ones you like best imho. Maybe start off with the free ones to begin with.  I bought my Go with the +$50 64gb option and I don't think I really needed to do this but it is still handy to know I have lots of storage available, lol!
Q3: using an external 10000-20000mahr external battery connected to the Go's usb port works well for me.  This is the one that works well for me;

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B01M8G0PVX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers for the advice. I'll check out the battery options. Any tips on the best media player to use for PC-based files?

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
How gentle do you want me to be? We could start with a back massage and then....wait, what???!!!?!?!?!??!  😛
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
On a more serious note...Install Netflix and YouTube VR apps, they're both brilliant on Oculus GO, you can watch movies, TV series and documentaries with Netflix and then you never have to mess about with files etc 🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got YouTube VR ready to be explored but I don't have a Netflix subscription. I've got Amazon Prime but I use that once in a blue moon. Is there a Prime app or similar? Oooh, a back massage. I wonder if Jennifer Lawrence or Olga Kurylenko are available.....a boy can dream.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
ow3ed3iycf5j.jpeg
WAAAGH!