cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which VR HMD will you buy next? - Rift S - Valve Index - Quest etc

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Hi guys, since we now know that Valve Index and Rift S will be released very soon, I was curious to see where everyone in the community currently stands on their next purchase.

I've tried to give as many options as possible below and included bundles with Quest + Rift S and Quest + Valve Index since I'm guessing many in the community will be buying more then one HMD just as I plan to myself.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
156 REPLIES 156

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I already have a Rift so it makes more sense for me to get a Valve Index to play Valve exclusives. It's like buying a Sega Master System and an NES to cover your bases. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

ShocksVR
Superstar

MowTin said:

I already have a Rift so it makes more sense for me to get a Valve Index to play Valve exclusives. It's like buying a Sega Master System and an NES to cover your bases. 

Ya, my position has always been you probably need to own a headset in the 2 major ecosystems, at least in the short term.

Rift for the content
A lighthouse headset for the more enthusiast experience.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
If I get a Valve Index, do I just need to install Revive and then I can automatically play games on Oculus Home? Is it all pretty simple?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Wildt
Consultant

If I get a Valve Index, do I just need to install Revive and then I can automatically play games on Oculus Home? Is it all pretty simple?

Yeah, but it might require some controller configuration to properly map the vive controllers (or whatever) to emulate Touch.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Oli_XRehab
Explorer
The moment I heard Oculus talking about ecosystems, I decide to go for the Index and started buying on Steam instead of Oculus Home. I don't want to have to buy on Oculus only to find out that I will be forever stuck within their "ecosystem". Seems to me like they lost their original vibe, probably thanks to centralization by Facebook, so I may not even buy the Quest. You vote for the world you want with with your wallet. 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

The moment I heard Oculus talking about ecosystems, I decide to go for the Index and started buying on Steam instead of Oculus Home. I don't want to have to buy on Oculus only to find out that I will be forever stuck within their "ecosystem". Seems to me like they lost their original vibe, probably thanks to centralization by Facebook, so I may not even buy the Quest. You vote for the world you want with with your wallet. 

If you go to the pub and they only sell Guinness but you prefer to drink Carling, you walk out of the pub?

Besides, from what I've been told you can use either platform with either HMD so doesn't seem to make a difference which way you swing?  😛 lol

Anonymous
Not applicable
I went with the Odyssey+ WMR headset. The $299 deal was too good to pass up, should have it early next week. Seems like it will be a decent step up in visuals from the original Rift, and I like that I won't have to have sensors/stations and wires all over the place. Hopefully the tracking will be good enough.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

MowTin said:

Ya, my position has always been you probably need to own a headset in the 2 major ecosystems, at least in the short term.

Rift for the content
A lighthouse headset for the more enthusiast experience.

Ha, i am always tickled when i see just how we all think the same way, because the very reason i grabbed a Dell visor was because the Rift on steamVR was, and is to a point still is a pig when running Steam VR games, so i bought the Dell for SteamVr games, and it has worked out fine, Rift runs fantastic with Oculus stuff and the Dell just sales through most SteamVR games with no issues. ha
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

jayhawk
Superstar

But with a Rift I have access to Steam as well without a hack. Your timing seems a bit off. Oculus isn't doing anything new with their 'ecosystem' as far as PCVR. Index was only recently teased, so you just barely started buying off Steam?

MRxFoXx
Explorer

kevinw729 said:

Just come from a conference meeting with the Samsung Asia team and representative for States business in VR. Had a frank discussion about their current relationship with Oculus VR - and they revealed they have a Standalone VR system scheduled for a Q4 release that is their no phone GearVR using the Snapdragon 855. This is a major move to position themselves against the Quest - should have full specs in a day or so but this is major - especially for those that already were invested on the GearVR to move too.

Hi Kevin,
is it this one:
https://medium.com/silicon-valley-global-news/we-svgn-io-predicts-that-in-3-weeks-at-sdc-2018-samsun...

Thanks in advance

Voted for Index + Quest