cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any hope to see support for Full Body Tracking or even wireless in the near future?

Little_Robot_Fa
Explorer
I got my Oculus Rift because it was the best deal at the moment. And because I was too late to the Kickstarter party for Oculus. By the time I heard about and was obsessed with the Oculus Rift, the Kickstarter was long over. And so it was a long, long wait ahead about reading articles about people having fun times in the development kit, doing things like playing recreated versions of Zelda 1 and ect.

When Vive was announced, I decided to wait for a Rift. But even after the Rift was released, I was really broke and had to wait. I put off upgrading my PC.

But after becoming obsessed with VRChat, I broke down and bought a gaming PC and Rift, even though I could barely afford it. And it was well worth it, though I had a few issues, the first day was the most amazing experience. And still amazing, even without the new wow factor of trying First Contact for the first time. (While lacking self expression that VRC does, First Contact is by far a much more impressive and polished product and a great introduction to the virtual world).

So compelling, in fact, I took apart my HP Pavillion Power I got on Black Friday for VR, and I worry I nearly broke it in the process trying to upgrade it. I still haven't gotten the internal wireless card to work again. And that I've bought upgrades for my computer.

I love VR so much and want even better performance that I'm now investing all the money I can afford right now into it.

I just went from upgrading from this PC, that I bought at Black Friday last year for VR.

To this PC.

All because better VR performance and experience matters that much to me.

And yet, the more I look as possible upgrade options, the more it seems like my only path is to actually get a Vive. Wider tracking area? Vive Lighthouses. Better resolution and field of view, with lessened screendoor? Vive Pro, Samsung Odyssey, or Pimax. Full body tracking? I could try to find a way to make a Kinect work with my Rift. Or, I could go the easy solution and just buy a Vive.

I already have a Rift and have bought several things from the Oculus Store, though.

I want all this stuff because I'm still absolutely obsessed with and addicted to VRChat. And I'm so jealous of people who get better framerates in worlds. People having 90 fps when I struggle to get 30. People dancing with full body tracking. People being able to turn around all the time without worrying about tangled cords because they're tethered. Being able to visit people's worlds and them look less blurry.

I'm really limited on terms of options with Oculus Rift, though. I've heard that the wireless adapter for the Rift is a pain. And that full body tracking with Kinect is not very reliable and difficult to set up.

I'd rather keep going on the Oculus path, what I was originally invested in since it was first announced and I was hearing all these amazing stories from people with developer kits. Please tell me there's some hope for some plans to officially implement more features and hardware support soon? Especially full body tracking. I want that so bad.

You have no idea how much I want to dance in VRChat.

Also, I really hope we don't have to wait any later than 2020 for an Oculus Rift Consumer Version 2. Especially if there isn't any new PC hardware as a stop-gap in the meantime. Oculus Go and Santa Cruz sound nice and all, but I really just want a better VRChat experience. Which neither of those will do. I'd appreciate if something came out next year, but after 2020 I'll really start to be getting impatient and considering a Vive even more if nothing comes out for Oculus.
Old VR PC: HP Pavillion Power,  Intel Core i5-7400, NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Graphics, 8 GB RAM
New VR PC: HP Omen 880-130,    Intel Core i7-8700K, GTX 1080TI, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

What I use VR for:
VRChat! Also, Airtone, Beat Saber, OrbusVR, SkyrimVR and DolphinVR

Features I most want:
1. Full Body Tracking 2. Full finger tracking 3. Haptics 4. Wireless Tracking 5. Wider FOV 6. Improved Resolution/Less Screendoor
27 REPLIES 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Mradr

Haven't seen a UI or game control feature that work better than a normal controller offers in the long hall.
I think you mixed up hand tracking and finger tracking ^^'. The Touch controllers are a hand tracking system, and on that, I think you will agree that it does allow much more than a normal controller (and by "normal", I mean : no hand tracking like Touch).

As for finger tracking, I say the same: it does allow for much more interaction. Even with the Touch Controllers:

- Can you play piano?
- Can you hold a pen and write with it?
- Can you pinch cheeks? (reaaaally important xD)
- Can you switch on a lighter (in a natural way)?
- Can you turn the pages of a book?
- Can you throw a coin?

Hand communication will also have a major improvement: not only the hand communication with the Touch controllers are limited, it is also faked, hence less immersive than a complete finger tracking. Imagine being able to time an attack with a friend by doing a countdown with your fingers. Or really using the sign language for communication in tactical games.

Finger tracking gives a lot more immersion and possibilities for interactions. You haven't seen them? Of course, that's because it is not implemented ^^', and it is not implemented because it is simply not possible without finger tracking, hence the necessity to develop that.

Finger tracking really is a bigger priority than body tracking. Now don't get me wrong, I also want to be able to kick zombies xD! I also can't wait to be able to smash-open doors. And of course, it will allow for fighting VR games. Man, the future is so bright!

inovator
Consultant
No hope 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Surely it would be very simple and obvious to implement tracking from a Webcam based upon a contrasting background. Sure it would only work facing one direction but it would be very simply to do and add this to Sports, Dance, Exercise, RPG etc.
If Facetracknoir did then it will easily work.

Little_Robot_Fa
Explorer

inovator said:

No hope 

Then it sounds like I definitely need a Vive.

Sorry, Facebook. I would be happy to buy Full Body Tracking from you if wanted to provide it.

As for whether $300 worth of trackers it worth it when so many current gen VR games don't use full body tracking. Well, VRChat does. Is VRChat worth spending $300 on? Well, considering I already bought a $1900 PC just to have a better VRChat experience, and considering how much I love and love to spend all my freetime on VRChat, I would say absolutely, yes.

Old VR PC: HP Pavillion Power,  Intel Core i5-7400, NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Graphics, 8 GB RAM
New VR PC: HP Omen 880-130,    Intel Core i7-8700K, GTX 1080TI, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

What I use VR for:
VRChat! Also, Airtone, Beat Saber, OrbusVR, SkyrimVR and DolphinVR

Features I most want:
1. Full Body Tracking 2. Full finger tracking 3. Haptics 4. Wireless Tracking 5. Wider FOV 6. Improved Resolution/Less Screendoor

sonny_dilorenzo
Honored Guest

The full body tracking sensors have gone down in price. Now you can buy a pair of 2 body tracking sensors for $69.00, 5 body tracking sensors for $89.99, 8 body tracking sensors for $149.99 or 10 body tracking sensors for $199.99

inovator
Consultant
Update since my last post. Playstation vr2 when it comes out after Playstation 5 will probably be the 1st home grown built in wireless headset not using a 3rd party vender.

jayhawk
Superstar
I don't see full body ever being a thing honestly without something external remaining. I think it's obvious all VR is headed down the Inside-Out direction, and I don't see manufacturers deviating much from what is the 'standard' just for the few hard cores and VR arcade experiences. Maybe something for the ankles that the HMD cameras can see....maybe, but they won't be mainstream. Kind of like a console add-on.

HiThere_
Superstar
Well the question is : Do you want full body tracking, or not ?

And if the answer is "yes", then avoid inside-out tracking solutions and go for external sensors.

As for those wondering why body tracking never took off on CV1 : Apparently the CV1 sensors were only designed to track the headset and two Touch controllers, so adding leg tracking or something was not an option.

You can find leg tracking on "VR chat".