cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift -S no option for a PV leather cover for your face?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I have owned all 3 Oculus headsets so far from DK1 to CV1, and the one thing that puts me of all VR headsets is if it's not comfortable. I know a lot of people will say they find CV1 comfortable, but it's obvious a lot of people don't because VR Cover made a PV leather face cover for it. The only reason I kept CV1 was because VR Cover made this PV leather cover it.

The materials other headsets use irritate my face and I just think it makes sense to give use an option to have a PV leather cover. PV leather can just be wiped once you use your headset, but with material it has to be taken off and washed. I'm not that bothered about taken something off to be washed, but I am about comfort. I will have to test Rift -S for comfort when it arrives or see if VR Cover intend making a PV Cover for it.

I know HP Reverb are offering a pro version with PV leather, but all other VR headsets seem to come with that other horrible material. With the PV VR Cover, I can wear my CV1 all day long if I want, but without it I can wear it for 20 mins tops before it starts to irritate my skin. I hope with the new halo design Rift -S will be better for comfort without having to have PV Cover. I have tested a PS -VR headset, but it wasn't for very long. It does seem more comfortable, but I only had it on for 10 mins and can't say for sure what it's going to be like long term. 
11 REPLIES 11

nalex66
MVP
MVP
The Rift S may be better because it’s not clamped against your face, but I’m sure VRCover will be making their own version.

Have you tried the Go? It has a fabric-covered pad rather than just raw foam, and it’s pretty comfy. From some of the pictures, it looks like Quest will use something similar. I’d prefer pu leather, so hopefully VRCover will do a Quest one too. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@nalex66 - Yes, I tried Oculus GO and I sent it straight back due to it being uncomfortable for me. Anything besides PV leather just irritates the hell out of my skin for some reason.

I just wish Oculus would stick a PV leather Cover in the box to give you an option. Even if it's just a PV leather sock without memory foam that you can put over the material that's already on.

Without VR Cover making these covers for VR, I wouldn't be enjoying VR today and probably wouldn't own a VR headset tbh. I just hope VR Cover continues to make them if the likes Oculus aren't going to offer anything.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
It has been an issue that Oculus VR has not "entirely" endorsed VR Covers product line for their hardware. Mainly because of VR Covers reticence to pay for "Supported Peripheral' status, and also previous Oculus exec consternation at their success. It had been hoped with the recent departures and Quest focus that a compromise could be found, but it seems that the Quest will have to wait for VR Cover (and alternative) support. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@kevinw729 - Looks like I'll have to wait before purchasing a VR headset then. Unless I get to try out the Halo design on the PS -VR for a longer period of time and see if it remains comfortable. 

I'm someone who prefers to sit in a comfy chair instead of opting to sit on a wooden chair that hurts my ass. 

Edit: Everyone who tried my CV1 before I got VR Cover said it was really uncomfortable on their face. I asked them this question when after about 10 mins they kept pulling at the front of the CV1 to get it away from their face.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I think I read that the Quest headsets at the recent shows used a pu leather face ring (easier to wipe down between demos), but that it was not the same as what the retail version would have. Maybe they'll sell it as an upgrade accessory?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

Edit: Everyone who tried my CV1 before I got VR Cover said it was really uncomfortable on their face. I asked them this question when after about 10 mins they kept pulling at the front of the CV1 to get it away from their face.

I think that was one of the reasons why Oculus VR previous execs were not happy with VR Cover - that said, all the previous supporters of the DV2 got the cold shoulder in one way, from Virtuix to VR Cover. The use of open foam on the CV1 was a big no no, no matter how some spun the decision, but in reality heavy users all plumped for VR Covers or equivalent. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea the foam on the original CV1 was so awful. I bought my rift on impulse and couldnt believe anyone would green light that. It got soggy in minutes. VR Cover literally saved the Rift for me. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

pyroth309 said:

Yea the foam on the original CV1 was so awful. I bought my rift on impulse and couldnt believe anyone would green light that. It got soggy in minutes. VR Cover literally saved the Rift for me. 

The story on the internal feud over the foam usage and other aspects of the design will have to wait for another day - but from off-the-record comments from those that actually worked on the prototypes (funny enough now with MS), there seemed to have be one executive that demanded that this was viable. Personally, as an individual that has worked with HMD's since the mid-90's that this was "green lighted" showed a level of naivety towards usage needs that I find hard to understand got pushed upstairs. That said, I was also questioning the "gasket" (fabric skin) outer shell, but that proved to be popular initially with users.

pyroth309
Visionary

kevinw729 said:

pyroth309 said:

The story on the internal feud over the foam usage and other aspects of the design will have to wait for another day - but from off-the-record comments from those that actually worked on the prototypes (funny enough now with MS), there seemed to have be one executive that demanded that this was viable. Personally, as an individual that has worked with HMD's since the mid-90's that this was "green lighted" showed a level of naivety towards usage needs that I find hard to understand got pushed upstairs. That said, I was also questioning the "gasket" (fabric skin) outer shell, but that proved to be popular initially with users.

Yea I actually like the Fabric Skin. Had no issues with that.