New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,089 Valuable Player
    edited April 6
    Have to say I am right back into TV gaming and playing games I missed due to VR. Struggling with contact lenses right now so rules out my rift.
    Because it has been so long I am playing the division, Doom (2016) and Mad Max . The beauty is they cost pennies. I keep buying games in vr just not playing (picked up call of starseed for £1.81 10mins ago)

The 1st 2 metro games. Is it worth getting the redux? I have standard versions but feel I should get the newer ones for a better experience
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,780 Valuable Player
    @bigmike20vt - Yes, get the redux versions they are so much better.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @bigmike20vt - Yes, get the redux versions they are so much better.
    This, Redux look a lot better.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,121 Valuable Player
    Have to say I am right back into TV gaming and playing games I missed due to VR. Struggling with contact lenses right now so rules out my rift.
    Because it has been so long I am playing the division, Doom (2016) and Mad Max . The beauty is they cost pennies. I keep buying games in vr just not playing (picked up call of starseed for £1.81 10mins ago)

The 1st 2 metro games. Is it worth getting the redux? I have standard versions but feel I should get the newer ones for a better experience
    I never wore contact lens until the rift so I feel for you. It's been getting harder to wear them. I have been doing  more vr with Playstation vr, go and more pancake games. With rift s glasses will be easier. Then it will be back into more vr. It sounds like that's your plan as well.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,089 Valuable Player
    edited April 7
    I have had amazing lenses for years now, you can sleep in them and they are rated to stay in for up to a month. I always took mine out for an evening after 7-10 days just to clean them and make sure crud did not get stuck behind them...... But lately my eyes are getting sensitive to them. When I pull my finger out am gonna buy some dailies to get me back to vr.
    I am not so sure about rift s for me (exciting product for vr newbies however) but with my large ipd and concerns with tracking for games like sports bar and lone echo etc I think I will need to have a proper good road test of the S before buying. I am more interested with index to be honest.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    If index also offered inside out tracking I'd also consider it (I understand it won't). I love the idea of no more sensors and glasses,that can fit better. As far as you going to daily lens you should know the doctor said if I only wear them for vr only  I can take them in and out multiple times. For me that reduced the it cost. 
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,116 Valuable Player
    my current pancake game is Gear of War 4, which I picked up for 9 bucks. It's pretty good!
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,991 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    my current pancake game is Gear of War 4, which I picked up for 9 bucks. It's pretty good!
    Latest pancakes I tried to digest were Crysis 3, Doom (2016), Dark Souls 3, Witcher 3, Divinity Original Sin (Enhanced), Battlefield 1, Hellblade, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Ashen and I've finished less than 20% of each game  o:) I don't know what happened, my interest in pancake games simply died - couldn't force myself to keep playing such games. VR changed everything. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited April 11
    I just started Monster Hunter World since I read it has 4k textures now. I tried to get into it when it released on Steam but the bugs made me refund it. Giving it another go. Recently I've been playing a bunch of different games from Kingdom Come: Deliverance to 7 days to die (heavily modded) to Battletech. I still love flat screen gaming especially for Strategy games. I picked up Shadow Warrior 2 cheap and I'll give that a go soon too. I loved the first one in the 90's.
    edited April 11
    I enjoyed SW2 quite a bit, but it was a tad too easy on normal difficulty. 
    This new trailer does look interesting ... must ... resist...

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,062 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    Even for a 2D game that’s well worth it. Great game series. 
    I agree but nothing takes the place of being in the game. I play horizon dawn and god of war in my Playstation headset to get an imax like experience. Borderlands 2 vr is amazing.
    edited April 14
    Digikid1 said:
    Wildt said:
    Yeah, it's got AAA production value for sure, but it just crashes every second cutscene now. Extremely frustrating, and going by the posts on the subject, it's not just me. Only solution is to downgrade the nVidia drivers to something ancient which I won't do.

Such a shame - I really enjoy the game, but having to reboot my rig and replay the part leading up to the cutscene is a drag :angry:
    Wildt said:
    Digikid1 said:
    Wildt said:
    Yeah, it's got AAA production value for sure, but it just crashes every second cutscene now. Extremely frustrating, and going by the posts on the subject, it's not just me. Only solution is to downgrade the nVidia drivers to something ancient which I won't do.

Such a shame - I really enjoy the game, but having to reboot my rig and replay the part leading up to the cutscene is a drag :angry:
    No issues here but I was referring to my Xbox One  X version. However it’s sad to hear about the pc version having such bad issues. 
    Wildt said:
    Digikid1 said:
    Wildt said:

Now you know why it was 9 bucks!  :D
    I want to know WHERE I can get it for 9 bucks!!!
    Digikid1 said:
    I want to know WHERE I can get it for 9 bucks!!!
    Seen it even cheaper on some of those semi-shady online stores. 
    But tbh it's still a ripoff for such a bloody crashfest! :angry:
    I've resorted to skipping the cutscenes, and watching them on youtube.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,159 Valuable Player
    I still spend a good amount of time playing 2D games, though honestly I think I spend more time benchmarking and tweaking settings than actually playing. Have a few rigs, but one is on a Samsung 55" 4K HDR TV, it's pretty nice actually.

I mean, VR is great but I find that regular 2D games can be very immersive as well (especially with the 55" TV as a monitor. If I sit close it fills a huge amount of my FOV). All things being equal, I would love to play AAA games like Far Cry New Dawn in VR, but if they are not available it would be a shame to miss the experience.

Naaaaaah, flat gaming is for peasants. You've been away for too long and forgotten that.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Yup
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,159 Valuable Player
    Plus my telly is bigger than your telly, SO THERE :p:D:p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited April 18
    snowdog said:
    I still spend a good amount of time playing 2D games, though honestly I think I spend more time benchmarking and tweaking settings than actually playing. Have a few rigs, but one is on a Samsung 55" 4K HDR TV, it's pretty nice actually.

I mean, VR is great but I find that regular 2D games can be very immersive as well (especially with the 55" TV as a monitor. If I sit close it fills a huge amount of my FOV). All things being equal, I would love to play AAA games like Far Cry New Dawn in VR, but if they are not available it would be a shame to miss the experience.

Naaaaaah, flat gaming is for peasants. You've been away for too long and forgotten that.

But it's a nice post showing some old history. Like visiting a museum! In the old days I also played 2D games, looking at the photo I felt like a teenager again! Absolutely wonderful  <3   ;)

snowdog said:
    Plus my telly is bigger than your telly, SO THERE :p:D:p

Yeah, you do have a nice bird: 

Personally I like my ride better  :smile: 

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,056 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 18
    On the topic of flat gaming (but off the topic of big-ass TVs), You can currently get Assassin's Creed:Unity for free from Uplay. Ubisoft is giving it away in support of Notre Dame (although I'm not sure exactly how this helps).
    I haven't played anything in the AssCreed franchise since the first one, but I do have a Uplay account due to Far Cry 3/BD/4, so I decided to grab it. I do love Paris, so I figured it would be a fun romp to run and climb around the City of Lights over the upcoming long weekend.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,633 Valuable Player
    I have a UPlay accounts as well. I should log in and pick it up!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited April 18
    Let me know if you do--I believe the game includes co-op, so maybe we can double-team some french mofos!

The nice thing about playing this game a few years after release is that the bugs should be mostly ironed out, and a modern gaming PC should be able to really show it off at the highest settings.

i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Installed and played through the first intro mission. This is addicting! But I had to stop because I can't jump in to this game right away lol

I'm still playing catch up on my backlog of VR Games, while also wrapping up a course on the Unreal Engine. But I can see myself getting in to Creed Unity fairly hardcore. I played through the first Assassin's Creed title start to finish for the first time about a year ago, and this is a huge leap forward. Love that it was free!
    edited April 19
    Yeah, I played through the first couple areas last night. I found the controls a bit frustrating, and eventually switched to my Xbox controller. I’m much more comfortable with mouse+kb FPS than these third-person games, and the sprint/jump/descend button combos were rather awkward on keyboard. 

The environments and crowds of NPCs were quite impressive though. I may or may not finish it, but I’ll happily spend some time exploring it—pretty nice game for free. 
    Maybe I should connect my XBox controller as well. Nice to see it still coming in handy since it shipped with the Rift CV1 lol