cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which VR HMD will you buy next? - Rift S - Valve Index - Quest etc

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Hi guys, since we now know that Valve Index and Rift S will be released very soon, I was curious to see where everyone in the community currently stands on their next purchase.

I've tried to give as many options as possible below and included bundles with Quest + Rift S and Quest + Valve Index since I'm guessing many in the community will be buying more then one HMD just as I plan to myself.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
156 REPLIES 156

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

FSX76 said:
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for this @FSX76 - I am not sure that this system is devised from their Standalone Daydream project, as I think Samsung pulled out of the Google link?

I first saw a early GearVR standalone prototype at the end of 2016 when the Samsung / Oculus partnership was still strong  (and wondered why it never saw the light of day). Now that the relationship has been "redefined", I think they have dusted off the old GearVR concept and added more power and 6DoF (with controllers) to be a Quest-beater.

Samsung's access to greater manufacturing clout, the new OLED screens, the ability to use the SD855 and the previous GearVR recognition, places this in a strong position. Placing more pressure on Quest to come out of the starting gate hot with strong marketing in order to establish any kind of lead.

Edit - Also lets not forget the new Pico Standalone announcement made last week with the Pico Neo 2, that includes the SD845 - again substantively more powerful than the SD835a - https://uploadvr.com/pico-neo-2/

The Standalone scene is going to be crowded, lets hope there is a strong front runner to establish the scene so game developers can get on board.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

SpiceLife72
Adventurer
I will wait for actual reviews.  But it looks like either Rift S or Valve Index.  I sold my Rift to my nephew at the beginning of the year and have been looking forward to new headsets.  I can see the Index being rather expensive.

MRxFoXx
Explorer

kevinw729 said:

FSX76 said:
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for this @FSX76 - I am not sure that this system is devised from their Standalone Daydream project, as I think Samsung pulled out of the Google link?

I first saw a early GearVR standalone prototype at the end of 2016 when the Samsung / Oculus partnership was still strong  (and wondered why it never saw the light of day). Now that the relationship has been "redefined", I think they have dusted off the old GearVR concept and added more power and 6DoF (with controllers) to be a Quest-beater.

Samsung's access to greater manufacturing clout, the new OLED screens, the ability to use the SD855 and the previous GearVR recognition, places this in a strong position. Placing more pressure on Quest to come out of the starting gate hot with strong marketing in order to establish any kind of lead.

Edit - Also lets not forget the new Pico Standalone announcement made last week with the Pico Neo 2, that includes the SD845 - again substantively more powerful than the SD835a - https://uploadvr.com/pico-neo-2/

The Standalone scene is going to be crowded, lets hope there is a strong front runner to establish the scene so game developers can get on board.

OK, thanks for sharing your opinion / knowledge.

I agree with regard to the Standalone scene, this will be really interesting to see -> hopefully good times ahead.

Have a nice day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will wait for actual reviews.  But it looks like either Rift S or Valve Index.  I sold my Rift to my nephew at the beginning of the year and have been looking forward to new headsets.  I can see the Index being rather expensive.

It's going to be interesting to see what they do with the price of these things. I suspect they've been seeing a drop in software sales since the Rift, WVR and HTC headsets have their own stores and are releasing this headset to drive more traffic to Steam. If this is so they'll need to have this thing competitively priced, anything over a grand and I think they'll struggle to sell that many.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that $600 was the price point where sales of both the Rift and the Vive got traction. I'll certainly be out of the running for getting one if it costs more than 600 quid and I'm sure I won't be alone.

Unfortunately I can see it costing around a grand and having the hardware flop. There's a good reason why Acer have priced the Reverb at 600 smackeroonies.

cigaremoods
Heroic Explorer
Why did the announcements made on the RIFT S not disappoint?

List below but without hierarchy because all have for me a reason to be disappointed.

No headphones worthy of the name, add a helmet is a real hassle I tested on the WMR helmets I was stuck with the wire of the headphones, impossible to find a good solution for the wire does not gene me not.

The strap tightens with the big wheel behind, I tested it with the helmet Lenovo it's very unpleasant especially if you want to rest your head on the backrest of your rifle, with its protruding it breaks your neck when you rest your head on the folder. In addition, you have a very uncomfortable head shake. The current Rift straps may not be great, but the new straps have nothing special.

Single screen !! LCD instead of two OLEDs. I tried both, for me you can say what you want, personally I see very clearly the difference in image quality between the two and I do not think Oculus will play innovation on this point and therefore the quality will be the same as that encountered on other LCD headsets (at 1440). Like cooling down !!!
the electronic IPD, I tested on the WMR helmets, I never noticed a difference, so let's see if on the Oculus Rift S it becomes really effective.

I have not fully understood how the levers will be used, recognized by the cameras also they need a Bluetooth connection as on the WMR helmets? Because if there is need for a BT connection, you can not use a BT audio headset to avoid the bulky wire.

Another small detail, we must leave the light on in the room, already that we consume a lot with the computer to operate a headset, now it takes more light. Bravo for the environment and the energy bill.

A priori all these disadvantages do not seem present on the Valve
MSI Z790 ACE, MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM X, I7 14700K, Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 32 go, 2 x Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 2 To

Anonymous
Not applicable
Welcome to Oculus 2019.
>:)

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:
It doesn't take a genius to work out that $600 was the price point where sales of both the Rift and the Vive got traction. I'll certainly be out of the running for getting one if it costs more than 600 quid and I'm sure I won't be alone.

Both headsets were the same though - if a product offers basically the same stuff - then it will just come down to price. If two products offer something totally different -  the differences then is compare to the price difference. Witch is what we saw when everyone compare the Pro to OG Vive or CV1. With that said - I really think it just comes down to features too and what software it'll support.

Agree though - anything above 800-600 is going to be seen as too costly, unless they come out with some major new feature, and therefor wont sell well like we saw with the HTC Vive Pro.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I honestly think the sweet selling point for HMD's eventually has to be £300-£400, realistically that's where they all need to get to eventually for mass market adoption like consoles.

Obviously I expect Valve Index to come out costing more because it's new, so maybe £600 - £800 is realistic, maybe that's what we can expect but it would be nice if they could get it down to £500-£600 by any means necessary, even if that means taking a loss in the short time. Surely it would be better to sell 2-3 million HMD's at £500 then only selling 200,000 at £800.

If I was speaking with Gabe and he said to me "look mate, we have to sell it at £1000, we've got no choice", I'd be like, "come on mate, we're only regular folk, lets be reasonable here!" And then we'd sit down with a Cadburys creme egg and we'd chat about the good old days playing cs 1.3, Doom, Quake and Unreal Tournament, and then we'd discuss how Half Life 3 is developing and I'd say "seriously mate, bring Portal 3 to VR". And after this conversation I'm sure I could get the price knocked down to £500, I just need half an hour with him to work some magic! lol

£500 would be so sexy, but I'm nervous about weather or not this is going to happen.  :s :# 😕
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I agree; to gain any traction, Valve really needs to bring the Index out in the 500 to 600 range. Any higher, and it had better have some major game-changing new feature. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Sandcracka
Adventurer

nalex66 said:

I agree; to gain any traction, Valve really needs to bring the Index out in the 500 to 600 range. Any higher, and it had better have some major game-changing new feature. 

I think they are banking on the knuckles to be that game-changing feature.