cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath

bigmike20vt
Visionary
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=de&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=...

Pretty bleak reading imo excuse long link Google shortener not working on it
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
401 REPLIES 401

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

I'm just curious to know if we have had some bullshit thrown our way by Oculus. They kept saying they weren't abandoning PC -VR, but they have certainly made it look like it's not a priority by leaving Rift -S to Lenovo. Now there is no talk of a Rift 2 in development and that's a big change from what they were saying last year. Are we to believe that Rift -S is now Rift 2?
sions. 

I see your point @RedRizla and have brought up the same topic in the past.
If you have dealt in anyway with consumer manufacturer and marketing you know that "the next gen" is a lollipop that are fed to the customer base to keep them loyal. I have no doubt that there are multiple next-hardware-revision designs in the files of Oculus, ranging from eye-tracked to half-dome inspired platforms. That this was suspended for the Lenovo partnership leads us to the reality. The commitment to release a CV2 any time soon, or to place the focus on Standalone and then review from a later position. The VR community that expected to see CV2 this or next year will have to consider their position - while I would not be surprised (if Quest is a big success) we will see a CV2 glory project soon after, plicating the backlash to the Rift-S from some quarters.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

LuluViBritannia said:
Do you mean that all the people praising the Valve Index actually had the chance to use it? I highly doubt it ^^'. 

I think you know that I said many and not all  B) - it will be great when its in the hands of the majority though. Some unfiltered feedback on this will help all understand and not being under embargo for many will be a weight off.

For now, all I heard was rumors on the specs and people stupidly believing in those rumors. As of today, the Valve Index barely exists officially. When the speecs are released, then, there will be matter to be hyped... if said specs are good, of course.

Yeah, hype has shaped this phase of VR more than any other, and like in 1997 the bubble has burst and the consumer wants reality rather than the hypetrain - I see your passionate point. I just wonder how much specs will be trumped by content in this part of the race?

Hum, no, it's not. Those headsets aren't part of the current VR ecosystems. And they aren't at the same level as the others in terms of specs.
Sony did nothing for the PC VR market. I do respect them for their PSVR ecosystem though.

Okay, I understand your point, but I do not see these aspects working in isolation - IMHO I think that the Sony has had a lot more influence on the VR scene than many like to admit, and the appearance of the Halo Strap (a blast from 1996) on the Rift-S came as a uncomfortable reminder. That Sony has cooled its future PSVR2 investment till the PS5 has been launched shows that they see the next-generation of VR this phase round coming more in a 2022 time-frame - which will be interesting. Maybe by then with Quest success under their belt the reinvigorated Oculus will consider CV2?

Oculus have ALWAYS been considering the release of the CV2. The success or failure of the Quest will have nothing to do with the release of the CV2.

They've had a plan for having three headsets going forward for some time now.

Now they MAY have decided to postpone the release of the CV2 from this year to three year's time when the technology is ready and is cheap enough to produce without releasing a headset until 2022, but I think they were planning on continuing the CV1 until 2020, 2021 or 2022.

Abrash has said that the tech in Half Dome won't be ready until 2022 at last year's Oculus Connect and I think the original plan in 2016 was to release it this year so Oculus have produced a stopgap with the Rift S until the tech is ready in three years time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:

I'm just curious to know if we have had some bullshit thrown our way by Oculus. They kept saying they weren't abandoning PC -VR, but they have certainly made it look like it's not a priority by leaving Rift -S to Lenovo. Now there is no talk of a Rift 2 in development and that's a big change from what they were saying last year. Are we to believe that Rift -S is now Rift 2?

You are only talking Hardware in all of that. PCVR is both hardware and software. Facebook and Oculus are releasing great new native PCVR experiences.

And just because Oculus partnered with Lenovo doesn't mean, by default, that they have abandoned anything. Valve partnered with HTC for Vive, right? Partnerships are fine.

No but in my mind it just shows where Oculus main focus is going to be for quite a while.

inovator
Consultant

Had you ever considered that why so many people are excited about the system is that they have had the chance to use it and even take it apart

Do you mean that all the people praising the Valve Index actually had the chance to use it? I highly doubt it ^^'. For now, all I heard was rumors on the specs and people stupidly believing in those rumors. As of today, the Valve Index barely exists officially. When the speecs are released, then, there will be matter to be hyped... if said specs are good, of course.

its important to remember the work that SONY had done with the Glasstron and the HMZ

Hum, no, it's not. Those headsets aren't part of the current VR ecosystems. And they aren't at the same level as the others in terms of specs.
Sony did nothing for the PC VR market. I do respect them for their PSVR ecosystem though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I get that cheaper headsets means more sales and more sales means devs will create software, but why all the talk of half dome, eye tracking last, and now reel it all back in like it was never spoken about? So I tack it that a Rift 2 is not in development as of now is that correct?

I also see people's point about creating for a cheaper market, but just like televisions there should also be a place for catering for a higher end on too. Maybe Oculus should be looking to cater for both the cheaper and more expensive headsets market, just like Samsung, LG and Sony do with their televisions. 

See my post above. I think in 2016 they were planning on releasing the CV2 in 2019 with the Half Dome features but the technology either isn't ready or isn't cheap enough to produce.

We'll have to wait until Oculus Connect 6 to find out the sort of time that we'll see the CV2 being released. Like I've said before we're not going to see Facebook ploughing millions of dollars into R&D for the Half Dome prototype and not release it until 2025 or even 2028 for their standalone headsets. They need high end PC VR because early adopters won't have a problem paying a little extra for the Tock to get it. The Tock (CV2) will be $599, and three years later the cost of manufacturing will have come down to see the Tick (CV2 S) retailing for $399 with a few improvements.

They're not going to be releasing Tick after Tick after Tick and then wait 10 years or so to only see the tech used in the Half Dome prototype only being used in their standalone headsets. Not going to happen.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:
Now they MAY have decided to postpone the release of the CV2 from this year to three year's time when the technology is ready and is cheap enough to produce without releasing a headset until 2022, but I think they were planning on continuing the CV1 until 2020, 2021 or 2022.

Abrash has said that the tech in Half Dome won't be ready until 2022 at last year's Oculus Connect and I think the original plan in 2016 was to release it this year so Oculus have produced a stopgap with the Rift S until the tech is ready in three years time.

Wow @Snowdog - that is a modification on your previous stance, I appreciate you being so even handed now, and admitting that things 'May" have changed. I stand by my opinion on the reality of the time line for a possible CV2 - and also include the caveat that all companies have "plans" its just which ones they execute on and at what time. I am sure the previous Ex-CEO was adamant that the CV2 he was envisaging was going to happen until the Ridt-S plan was dumped on him and he decided to leave than support it.

It will be fascinating to see how much the Rift-S will change from the GDC reveal based on the feedback they are collecting. Speaking with one close to the operation it sounds like the earphones will make it into the final design - so someone is listening. I still feel however that much rests on market reaction to Quest, especially knowing that Samsung will be riding the GearVR image for their planned Standalone.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

bigmike20vt
Visionary
@kevinw729 are you saying the riftS specs are not set in stone yet? That is surprising imo considering how close to launch we are (we are in the window already aren't we - spring?)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think "tock" has definitely left the building, put away in some dark storage compartment with the door locked up.
:'( 

Now having said that, as much as I am disappointed with Oculus direction now, I will still likely get a Leno - er Rift S. Not for what I mainly use VR for though, wish it was but it will not be - I will be going with another brand for that, a brand that has PC-VR users in more of their strategic goals.  
I will likely get the Rift S because I do still enjoy Oculus games, and see myself continuing to enjoy them - like with the upcoming Vador Immortal and Lone Echo 2. But I will use another headset for the bulk of what I do, namely flight simming.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

@kevinw729 are you saying the riftS specs are not set in stone yet? That is surprising imo considering how close to launch we are (we are in the window already aren't we - spring?)

Totally agree - I was surprised when posts started that the company was listening to criticism and would consider changes to the final design to plicate concerns. I at first thought this was damage limitation, but one source assures me that an earphone solution has been added... we shall see?

pyroth309
Visionary
That was a great post @Zenbane. I don't want to quote it because it it's too long but that actually mirrors a lot of my thoughts. I think the main difference is that I actually really love simulations, especially combat simulators.

A big barrier to my fully embracing and enjoying them is the fact that I am at a disadvantage from Target recognition because I can't clearly see what I am fighting against in the full realism games until they are close. After a while I get tired of fighting handcuffed and I just break out my track IR and go back to my 4K screen. It's very hard to see planes sneaking up on me or against the horizon in VR.  So for me resolution means a lot and I will pay for the upgrade. If you aren't into flight simulations or space games or driving games though, then functionally you really don't care that much and you're more interested in finding games that are just fun to play or have interesting mechanics. So I totally get that as well.

Even though Oculus has done a great job providing a lot of content, most of what they have made has been too short to have any lasting impact in the grand scheme of things. So as you said we're stuck returning to games like Skyrim or fallout or subnautica etc. or one of the multiplayer lobby games like onward or Pavlov. It's definitely true that Valve has done little to help VR on the software side except provide a platform/steamvr for small devs to experiment on. I hope with them jumping in with an actual official Valve headset that they will start trying to push software and also I hope that they use their influence to convince more developers to support VR with their flat screen games. But you never know with Valve.

I don't mind upgrading my PC itself because I still get use of it from flat screen gaming as I still do enjoy it. A couple of days ago I was wishing I had a 2080 TI to get my frames up in monster Hunter world with 4K texture pack with most settings on lol. 

I think we're all in agreement about the software portion needing to be improved. You know there's been a lot of talk about Sony but even with their vast resources they are mostly putting out short experiences(barring a couple of exceptions). We're still in the proving grounds of VR as a viable long-term product. Most people still consider it a gimmick like the Kinect or something that's going to die soon. A lot of companies are still gun shy about making a big commitment to it until we know for certain that it's going to be around a long time. A lot of the cult hits though like beat saber and VR chat have done a lot to spread awareness on how good VR can be. I'm really expecting next generation to really blow up especially with Sony's commitment to a psvr 2. I think if they do it right and get a real tracking system they will be more inclined to spend more money on software and bigger titles. In the meantime I'm content to just get the best experience I can in simulations until good software arrives and more companies start developing games for both flat screen and VR. 

Also, It's starting to happen more but I still think there needs to be a lot more crossover with flat screeners playing together so even though your friend may not have a VR headset you can still play the same game together. That's one of the best advertisements for VR is when they can see the things that you can do with your hands hopefully eventually feet.

As far as rift-S (my phone always wants to type ass here lol, I didn't do it I swear) it has been covered here enough I don't really want to delve into that other than to say I have nothing against it other than feeling like it's priced a little high to start and it appears to signal a change of direction has mentioned.