cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath

bigmike20vt
Visionary
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=de&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=...

Pretty bleak reading imo excuse long link Google shortener not working on it
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
401 REPLIES 401

MowTin
Expert Trustee
The bottom line is: If you're an enthusiast, Oculus is not for you. And don't hold your breath for a cv2. 

Only Valve can save us now. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

kojack
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

I'm just curious to know if we have had some bullshit thrown our way by Oculus. They kept saying they weren't abandoning PC -VR, but they have certainly made it look like it's not a priority by leaving Rift -S to Lenovo.

Although there's another way to look at that:
Oculus had Xiaomi make the Go, while they worked on the superior Quest themselves.
Oculus had Lenovo make the Rift-S, while they __________.

Did working with Samsung mean they abandoned mobile?
Did working with Xiaomi mean they abandoned mobile?

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
There will be nothing at OC6 regarding another PC-VR headset, only talk of the Rift S and software for it.
Mark my words.
😉

The rest will be about Quest and continuing software development for it, and to some extent Go.

inovator
Consultant
Probably true. Oculus will be the mainstream product. The other will hopefully take care of the rest.

CrashFu
Consultant

MowTin said:

The bottom line is: If you're an enthusiast, Oculus is not for you. And don't hold your breath for a cv2. 

Only Valve can save us now. 

Because nothing says "Enthusiast" like getting your hardware from a company that is less than 1% invested in your hobby, and that has a proven track-record of abandoning their products immediately after release.

Yep, that totally screams "Enthusiast" and not "Making rash, knee-jerk decisions in response to blind speculation"  :wink:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

kojack said:

RedRizla said:

I'm just curious to know if we have had some bullshit thrown our way by Oculus. They kept saying they weren't abandoning PC -VR, but they have certainly made it look like it's not a priority by leaving Rift -S to Lenovo.

Although there's another way to look at that:
Oculus had Xiaomi make the Go, while they worked on the superior Quest themselves.
Oculus had Lenovo make the Rift-S, while they __________.

Did working with Samsung mean they abandoned mobile?
Did working with Xiaomi mean they abandoned mobile?

How long do you reckon Oculus Rift -S has being in development? I thought that once Oculus released CV1, PC -VR, that Oculus would have started straight away looking at the next best PC -VR headset. All the talk was about Oculus Santa Cruz though, which I presume is Oculus Quest.

I don't think Rift -S hasn't being in development for that long at all given the first thing we heard about it was when that guy left Oculus and Tech Crunch speculated it was because of a Rift -S. I'd never heard of a Rift -S up until that point. So did a lot of thought go in to Rift -S is what I wonder. 

I know Oculus admitted Oculus GO was something they didn't expect would be such a success, and that it could have been designed better.

I just want the best bang for buck PC -VR headset, but at the end of the day I guess we will know which one that is next month.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

snowdog said:

So what do you think Abrash will show and say at OC6? Nothing? Or the Half Dome prototype again and tell us that instead of 2022 we can expect it in 2025 or maybe even 2028 on their standalone and PC VR headsets..? That's not going to happen.

Feel free to watch OC6 in 5 or 6 months and then start a thread called, 'Yup, the snowdog was right...I bow down to his infinite wisdom'

B) 

Oculus aren't going to fall behind too much in terms of technology, but they WILL delay things until the technology is READY. We've already seen this with the Vive controllers and Touch controllers.

Other companies will have higher resolution displays, higher FOV, eye tracking and foveated rendering before Oculus do, but Oculus will do it BETTER and CHEAPER.

Well they can SHOW anything - it doesn't mean it'll come out as we saw with last OC. So the argument there doesn't hold as much water as it would've in the past. Not that it can't happen - but as I said above - I dont think their goal is the same as it was just a year ago.

Most of what OC6 will be about is Quest, Software, and how devs need to work hard to get their games onto it and working with the limits of the current vision tracking along with porting from PC over to it.

As for demo of the future - they will go more into what they are working on - planning on in the future - an updated half dome - more information in how far they got with focal point technology and FOVA that information out. Short of that - we wont know anything else. I mean we wont know as much as we did last OC5. We will know they they are working on a GO2 but lack any information on if and when something might come out with them being vage again saying, "With in the next 5, 10, 15 years we will see xxx, xxxx, xxx-xxx".

I am not saying they are behind - base off my past post - they are very much a head - so they might be sitting on that research to, as you said, wait till it gets cheaper. Over all - their focus right now is Quest and its very clear they want it to be a success for the future of VR.

If you think for even a split second that Oculus won't release the Half Dome prototype as a consumer headset until 2025-2028 then you're insane. Seriously.

And they're not focussing on the Quest only, they're developing ALL THREE of their product lines simultaneously. This is why you're seeing all three headsets sharing certain features. You'll see F8 and OC6 covering the Quest, the Rift S and the Half Dome prototype.

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:
If you think for even a split second that Oculus won't release the Half Dome prototype as a consumer headset until 2025-2028 then you're insane. Seriously.

And they're not focussing on the Quest only, they're developing ALL THREE of their product lines simultaneously. This is why you're seeing all three headsets sharing certain features. You'll see F8 and OC6 covering the Quest, the Rift S and the Half Dome prototype.

I gave a reason why that is so:) They are going to focus on smaller jumps if they keep in that price point. Base on the interviews - that seems to be the way they are wanting to go. The dude said that there isn't a market for anything above 450... what we want will just not fit into that price point let alone your higher price goes against what they said. Granted - if you are on my side - that is SILLY and I hope they release another HMD for us higher end value customers. People like CrashFu on the other hand says I am crazy for wanting this - so I don't know what to tell anyone at this point xD So if you are liking or saying his post are awesome - then you agree with him that they need to keep prices low and there for - that means we have to wait longer for bigger jumps in better specs and features. If you agree with me - then you believe Oculus should still release a headset in the 800-600- range still if we're on the edge of a big advancement anyways (see my example a few pages ago).

https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=3&hl=de&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&...
High-end does not fit the corporate philosophy....

Jason expects that a Rift-style headset with better technical specifications, priced at over € 449, would find virtually no buyers for the Oculus Rift S. Many people could not connect such a product and is therefore not pursued.

Well - they kind of are though. Maybe not all 100% - but still a good 80-85% right now. Look at most Quest and Rift S interviews - they came out and said they were working on Quest - because their team is small - they gave the extra work of Rift S to LVO team instead so they can focus more on it. That is coming from Oculus own mouths. Remember, Quest isn't out yet - they still have a TON of work a head of them to lunch and get these devices into the hands of customers. Not just customers - but devs as well to get them start and working on software for the Quest too. It's not different back in OC4 where they focus on GO software. I mean we have a short history of how things went already.

Unless they say something at F8 this year - I am not holding my breath for another 3 years just to find out:) Over all - I think they're going to go down this rout until either someone makes a big threat to their HMDs lines and they are force to show their hand or enough people leave the Oculus ecosystem. Valve might be a big enough threat for them to show their plans going forward at least for F8 or force them to say they are working on a CV2 with an idea release time frame. It's that - or they really did give up on PCVR and will just focus on mainstream VR with Quest and just throw PCVR a headset once in a while to keep their hands in all the pies as best as possible.

Over all I don't like that Jason Rubin guy. He either is lieing about the 450 range or just really bad communication on his part. Until Oculus says more - we really don't know what is going on and we're getting mix signals on what to think about the future of Oculus and PCVR.

pyroth309
Visionary

Mradr said:

Unless they say something at F8 this year - I am not holding my breath for another 3 years just to find out:)

Yea, this, I could be dead in 3 years. Life's short and I've had too many people I know die unexpectedly.

Corporations regularly change directions and waste millions on R&D that never sees the light of day. Just because they showed off a prototype a year ago doesn't mean it's guaranteed to come out, especially with so much change among management. Hell the company I work for spent nearly 300 million on a project that never got completed and is nowhere near as large as Facebook.

Not saying Oculus won't come out with it, but I'm not confident they will either.

inovator
Consultant

There are members here that are in denial of what is happening and how Oculus is planning it's future. Time will show us all.