cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath

bigmike20vt
Visionary
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=de&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=...

Pretty bleak reading imo excuse long link Google shortener not working on it
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
401 REPLIES 401

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

KoBak07 said:
Lenovo has only produced low end, cheap WMR headsets - thus the label "junk".

You are still dodging. The Lenovo Explorter received good reviews on Amazon (by Consumers) and on places like Trusted. Low end and cheap are not the labels for "junk" by any stretch of the imagination. The fact is that you are 100% wrong to call Lenovo's products "junk," but it seems you are going to double-down for arguments sake. I'll continue to point out how wrong it is because the wrongfulness of your statement is the sole basis for your exaggeration of the Rift-S situation.

Calling something "junk" just because it is cheap is a bit silly considering that the Oculus Rift + Touch dropped from $800 total down to $349. Math isn't on your side here.

I still think, that most likely a decision was made at FB in Q3 last
year to just take the cheap Lenovo, then as quickly as possible snap on
the Oculus tracking and controller as an upgrade (this is actually a
real upgrade) and call it a day for PCVR. Not surprised that some people
jumped ship and not wanting to play the PR smile while talking about
it.

Not surprised to see you try to downplay the situation considering your past hyperbole. Granted, you are overlooking huge factors like the 5-cameras on the Rift-S which makes it the most precise Inside-Out Tracking HMD on the market.

The lack of AAA titles are a direct result of how the industry changed
over the last decade+. It used to be that devs wanted to blow people
away with creating worlds and experiences, now mostly its just about
making the bucks, while catering to the lowest hardware out there, and
banging out the next re-iteration of the "whatever 21".

None of that is even remotely accurate. AAA titles take 3-5 years on average. We just now barely hit the 3 year mark of mainstream PCVR. Time is needed to allow for true AAA Software releases. But we need something in the meantime, which is why we get the types of experiences found today.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Here is a brief commercial interruption for the sake of laughs...

nhd8e7ykbp8a.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
And we all know that the bestest AAA game EVAR is on it's way, albeit VERY slowly. All done by one very sexy developer who at some point in the not too distant future is gonna marry @vannagirl.  B)

MowTin
Expert Trustee

snowdog said:
Both. The Rift S is a high end headset coming in a few weeks and the CV2 will be the next one coming in 2022.

The Rift S is only a notch below the Vive Pro in terms of clarity, it's going to be a high end headset.

How could the rift be high-end when it doesn't have IPD adjustment or earphones to save a few bucks?

It's a mid-range VR headset. Better than the cheap WMR headsets but not as good as a Vive Pro. And when you add knuckles controllers, it's even a bigger difference. 

It's just a fact that it was designed to be affordable. It's a Honda, not a BMW. But Hondas are good cars. Great fuel mileage, reliability, and resale value. Rift-S excellent quality, reasonable price but it's not high-end. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

snowdog said:
Both. The Rift S is a high end headset coming in a few weeks and the CV2 will be the next one coming in 2022.

The Rift S is only a notch below the Vive Pro in terms of clarity, it's going to be a high end headset.

How could the rift be high-end when it doesn't have IPD adjustment or earphones to save a few bucks?

It's a mid-range VR headset. Better than the cheap WMR headsets but not as good as a Vive Pro. And when you add knuckles controllers, it's even a bigger difference. 

It's just a fact that it was designed to be affordable. It's a Honda, not a BMW. But Hondas are good cars. Great fuel mileage, reliability, and resale value. Rift-S excellent quality, reasonable price but it's not high-end. 

Have you actually tried the Vive Pro? I'm guessing not. I have. And BMW is quite the stretch. Plus girthy wands are the opposite of high-end hand presence.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Not having to deal with an mechanical switch for ipd .. That's quite much a step forward for me.
Be good, die great !

KoBak07
Protege

Zenbane said:

KoBak07 said:
Lenovo has only produced low end, cheap WMR headsets - thus the label "junk".

You are still dodging. The Lenovo Explorter received good reviews on Amazon (by Consumers) and on places like Trusted. Low end and cheap are not the labels for "junk" by any stretch of the imagination. The fact is that you are 100% wrong to call Lenovo's products "junk," but it seems you are going to double-down for arguments sake. I'll continue to point out how wrong it is because the wrongfulness of your statement is the sole basis for your exaggeration of the Rift-S situation.

Calling something "junk" just because it is cheap is a bit silly considering that the Oculus Rift + Touch dropped from $800 total down to $349. Math isn't on your side here.

I still think, that most likely a decision was made at FB in Q3 last
year to just take the cheap Lenovo, then as quickly as possible snap on
the Oculus tracking and controller as an upgrade (this is actually a
real upgrade) and call it a day for PCVR. Not surprised that some people
jumped ship and not wanting to play the PR smile while talking about
it.

Not surprised to see you try to downplay the situation considering your past hyperbole. Granted, you are overlooking huge factors like the 5-cameras on the Rift-S which makes it the most precise Inside-Out Tracking HMD on the market.

The lack of AAA titles are a direct result of how the industry changed
over the last decade+. It used to be that devs wanted to blow people
away with creating worlds and experiences, now mostly its just about
making the bucks, while catering to the lowest hardware out there, and
banging out the next re-iteration of the "whatever 21".

None of that is even remotely accurate. AAA titles take 3-5 years on average. We just now barely hit the 3 year mark of mainstream PCVR. Time is needed to allow for true AAA Software releases. But we need something in the meantime, which is why we get the types of experiences found today.

No matter how those Amazon reviews are, the product has weak tracking, small lenses, cheap plastics and other materials. At it's full MSRP of 399 is a joke, but I guess if you don't mind all of that at $99 that it was going for a while I guess it was a great buy, for somebody out there. Look, different products fit different market segments, and this one was definitely not aimed at providing a high-end VR experience, nor priced as one, while available at "On sale" prices. But it does not change the facts, that from a high end immersive experience perspective, it is as far as you can get in the current products on the market.

I downplay the "huge factors" of 5 cameras, as it does not offer any tangible benefit for people who already have a proper room scale setup. Rather it reduces tracking performance, and it also requires room lights to be on, which was not needed before. On another note though, since future Oculus titles most likely will be cross platform between the Rift and the Quest, it probably does not matter anyways. Since the Quest will have tracking limitations such as the Rift, devs will design with that constraint in mind.

inovator
Consultant
Someone said dvrs didn't become mainstream until the price dropped to 100.dollars. not true they sold millions at higher price points. Gee do you think having plenty of content had to do with it. 

KoBak07
Protege

snowdog said:

KoBak07 said:

snowdog said:

Oculus still is a high end brand with a soon to be released high end headset. It doesn't just come down to specs. For my money, despite the 2K resolution, the soon to be released Acer Ojo and HP Reverb are both mi range headsets. Why? Because the tracking isn't good enough for them or any other WVR headsets to be considered to be high end headsets.

All hands on reports for the Rift S have been positive so far despite the trade offs both Oculus and Lenovo made during the design of the thing.

So that high end headset is coming soon or in 2022?

I thought Facebook is now targeting the mainstream, because that is what's needed for VR to survive, but also the Rift S is a high end headset.  Got it. 😕

ShocksVR
Superstar

KoBak07 said:

I downplay the "huge factors" of 5 cameras, as it does not offer any tangible benefit for people who already have a proper room scale setup. Rather it reduces tracking performance, and it also requires room lights to be on, which was not needed before. On another note though, since future Oculus titles most likely will be cross platform between the Rift and the Quest, it probably does not matter anyways. Since the Quest will have tracking limitations such as the Rift, devs will design with that constraint in mind.

I currently have my 3 sensor Rift (+ goodies) listed on Craigslist. Once it sells I'm UPGRADING to the Rift-S. Not having to deal with external sensors and the USB fights is a win for me.

I cannot tell you how many times I've been asked to "hey bring your VR headset so you can show people" to family events and parties.  And everytime I'm asked I CRINGE at the thought of taking my sensors down (wall mounted btw) and setting them back up elsewhere (plus tinkering with the sensor layout to minimize occlusion).  And lets stop acting like external sensors had 100% tracking with no occlusion (because it didn't)

Having an out of the box room-scale W/O external sensors is a DREAM !
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S