Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift 1.37 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Home:

• Tutorial refresh: We've polished up the new user tutorial in Home to be more lightweight and dynamic, as well as offer rewards for completion. If you are not a new user and want to check it out, find it in your settings menu.
  • UI revamp: We've updated the user interface for a consistent look and feel, and to make navigation and browsing more intuitive.
  • Expressive Avatars Update: Avatars have been updated to simulate eye and mouth movement, making a simple conversation feel more dynamic. And with new outfits and customization options like eye color and lipstick, spending time with others in VR will feel more personal and authentic.

Dash:

• Screenshot capture in VR: Capture screenshots from inside your headset by pressing the 'screenshot' button located on the menu on the right side of your Dash belt. There is a 5 second timer to set the pose and position of the screenshot. Images will be saved out to your C:\Users\*User*\Pictures\ directory. Happy screenshotting!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
97 REPLIES 97

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jumping in to shed a little additional light on ASW 2.0 for you all. ASW 2.0 functionality is enabled for all Rift users at this time - it is not dependent on a specific software version. We called out four apps in our blog post that currently utilize ASW 2.0 (Oculus Medium, Robo Recall, Red Matter, and Oculus Home / Dash). It is ultimately up individual developers as to whether or not they flip the switch for their app, but we're encouraging more devs to utilize the tech every day. As to the question of "how do I know if it's working," the best way to know if a game is using ASW 2.0 is to have the game open and then hit the Oculus button to bring up Dash. If the game or app stays rendered behind Dash, it's utilizing ASW 2.0. If you get the big white / grey grid instead, it is not. You should see an overall smoother experience with less reprojection artifacts in ASW 2.0 apps. I hope this information is helpful!

Very good info to know, thanks much for the clarification !

nrosko
Superstar

Jumping in to shed a little additional light on ASW 2.0 for you all. ASW 2.0 functionality is enabled for all Rift users at this time - it is not dependent on a specific software version. We called out four apps in our blog post that currently utilize ASW 2.0 (Oculus Medium, Robo Recall, Red Matter, and Oculus Home / Dash). It is ultimately up individual developers as to whether or not they flip the switch for their app, but we're encouraging more devs to utilize the tech every day. As to the question of "how do I know if it's working," the best way to know if a game is using ASW 2.0 is to have the game open and then hit the Oculus button to bring up Dash. If the game or app stays rendered behind Dash, it's utilizing ASW 2.0. If you get the big white / grey grid instead, it is not. You should see an overall smoother experience with less reprojection artifacts in ASW 2.0 apps. I hope this information is helpful!

I played Red Matter & there was still quite a lot of artifacts. Same in oculus home itself. How much of a reduction are we expected to see?  

YoLolo69
Trustee

... It is ultimately up individual developers as to whether or not they flip the switch for their app, but we're encouraging more devs to utilize the tech every day...

So ASW 2.0 require the game to use native Oculus SDK (vs SteamVR ones)? Please note this is absolutely not a reproach, I understand it need more info from the game (ZBuffer AFAIK). Just trying to be sure I understand well.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

FolkSong
Expert Protege
I just got a new patch and driver updates, even though I was already on 1.37 PTC. Any updates?

ShocksVR
Superstar
I got it too, I'm also on PTC.
I wonder if 1.37 went live on the official channel
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

FolkSong said:

I just got a new patch and driver updates, even though I was already on 1.37 PTC. Any updates?

I got it too, I'm also on PTC.
I wonder if 1.37 went live on the official channel

Pretty sure it's still PTC since the title of this thread still says PTC.  This will normally be edited when final.

It's pretty common to get a few minor PTC updates before final.  Unless there is some major change on the 1.37 changelog you will not see or need to know all the details imho.  Too many details just provide more fodder for Oculus haters/Trolls, lol!

Aside;  As far as ASW 2.0 goes;

From showbizdonkey's explanation on how to see if ASW 2.0 is implemented in an app, this seems to work well and it's very handy.  I think it would be usefull to document a current list of apps/games that are ASW 2.0 ready and update this occasionally. 

Interesting to see that some Oculus store games have this implemented (like robo, toybox, ultrawings, lucky tails, and google Earth VR, to name a few).  I personally do not see any difs with these.  Some like Moss, aircar, and Voxel Fly are not ASW 2.0 ready.  I only tried one Steam game so far (glider island) and it seems to be ASW 2.0 ready.  Also, an independent one (X-Plane 11, which struggles with 45fps in VR) seems to be ASW 2.0 ready but to be honest I do not see any improvement with it over ASW 1.0 (still lots of artifacts when flying fast/low) so I just disable it as per usual ctrl+num1.

Just my opinion but for people with decent PC specs  that are able to maintain 90fps ASW 2.0 is a non-event.  For those with low-spec PC's hopefully it will help.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

71st_Mastiff
Honored Guest
Oculus App taking 3 to 5 minutes to start up the application after turning on the computer.
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater comeback " Asus z370 MX||i9x9900k||ddr4-32gb PC3200||RTX 2080-8gb||AX1200 Corsair||turtle beach elite pro 7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr 4/ir||ViRpiL,T50cm|MFG CrossWinds||X55 Throttle||G15 Keyboard/Mouse|| Rift VR \ 32" Samsung|| 1x9inc||

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Oculus App taking 3 to 5 minutes to start up the application after turning on the computer.

Mine only takes about 10 seconds.

Maybe open your windows task manager and see if can find anything running in the background that is hogging resources.  Also some virus checkers do not play well with Oculus.  I just use Windows Defender no problems.

Otherwise, contact Oculus Support and see if they can help sort this out. Good luck.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Got another 1.37ptc incremental update earlier today.  I have not noticed any diff's.  All still continues to work great for me.  Thanks Oculus.

sford52
Heroic Explorer
I think I am also in the process of getting an update- here is what I see in my notifications:
n4479ypbi894.jpg

Is it typical to take 7+ hours?  Is there a way to see how far along the download is?
If I go to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Downloads\oculus-client I see a folder named 1556093924 which is time stamped about 7 hours ago but it is empty.  Note both staging and support are also empty and my oculus root is on C though my games are on a different drive.
ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home