cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath

bigmike20vt
Visionary
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=de&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=...

Pretty bleak reading imo excuse long link Google shortener not working on it
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
401 REPLIES 401

foldale
Explorer
Sadly for me (I would have gone with the S) is the lack of IPD support for my 58 IPD. I fly with about 8 VR pilots and 3 of us have an IPD lower than 60 😞 

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Mradr said:

RedRizla said:

@Mradr - Lets take televisions as an example. New televisions are about to be brought out and some will be 8k this time around. But whose going to buy them while they are ridiculously expensive? Even Oled and QLed television are expensive, so most people settle on purchasing a television that has just 4k. 

Once these 8k television arrive oled & Qled 4k televisions will start to drop in price and the majority of people will then start to buy these televisions and not 8k televisions. So do you now see what Oculus is doing? They are catering for the majority and not the minority.

I guess it depends where you draw your line.

if varjo VR1 is the equvalent to the 146inch samsung "Wall"
and the cheapest windows MR HMD you can buy is the 32 inch HDReady set

then i would argue oculus are going much closer to the bottom end than the top..... I would be happy somewhere in the middle 😉

Cool - yea this isnt a trick question - I just want to know where people would stand if the majority could run it - but in real world we are sort of hitting the limit of phone screen technology right now. I think Apple is maybe thinking about releasing a 6k screen - but sort of them - I haven't heard of anyone else doing that or having a need to as the pixels at that point are already too small to see and that increasing it past 4k is just a power waste. 

well 1stly my comment was tongue firmly in cheek, but other than that, there is a law of diminishing returns anyway.

I have a 75inch 1080p TV and a 65 inch 4k TV.  sure, the 65 inch is sharper and for TVs >60 inch there is definitely a use case for 4k

but for those who sit 3m+ away from their 43inch telly, i would say an upgrade from 1080p to 4k is barely worth it and certainly not going beyond.  For VR it is a bit different tho....... and i will happily take what ever the engineers can give me 🙂

remember just because a panel is what ever, lets say 4k, it does not mean you HAVE to output at that.

i game now on my 4K TV at QHD and let my pc upscale and it looks fab.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

foldale said:

Sadly for me (I would have gone with the S) is the lack of IPD support for my 58 IPD. I fly with about 8 VR pilots and 3 of us have an IPD lower than 60 😞 

The Rift -S has a much better sweet spot then CV1, so I think you will be alright.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just the length of this thread and the debates is a good signal Oculus changing directions on PC-VR is having a pretty negative effect.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
to be fair we are hardly a representative bunch of the market oculus are trying to capture...... and even on this forum which must surely be biased towards people more likely to pay a bit more for VR we are split.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

to be fair we are hardly a representative bunch of the market oculus are trying to capture...... and even on this forum which must surely be biased towards people more likely to pay a bit more for VR we are split.

How many people on this forum own a Geforce 2080Ti that can run higher resolution screens? I bet a majority of people with a Geforce 1080 or less would moan a bucket full, if Oculus released a headset that only Geforce 2080Ti users could use with games like SkyRim etc.

Mradr said:

@RedRizla @Zenbane @DaftnDirect
Yes I know its theory crafting - but I like to get your thoughts - anyone can jump in - but going off the scale of hardware and the current reasoning that Oculus wants to keep it low price as possible for VR - 

What if the 30s is more than powerful enough to run 6k at 80hz even go as far as to say they did get eye tracking working for the 20s and 10s cards to be supported, but the problem is that the 6k cost WAY too much even though the hardware could support it. Would your argument that keeping price low still be valid or should they try and push something a bit stronger out? I bring this up because scale of screen technology is going to hit a wall sooner than our GPUs or future improvements to VR will hit. Our biggest cost in a HMD is the screen(s). Eye tracking sort of resets FOV cost and a percent of resolution demand. With a time scale of 3 years - that be almost 2 generation of video cards depending on release dates. Personally - I dont think this question too wild of what might happen by then. 4k already a thing at around 80-144fps  - with 5k already hitting 30-45Hz - 2 more gen + software improvements along with eye tracking doesn't sound too far off to already be supporting 6k by then.

Sorry, I missed this post.

I think the premise if the question is slightly off in that I don't think Oculus are trying to keep it as low price as possible. I really think it's more nuanced than that and they are trying to strike a balance in making it a bit cheaper, a bit better and a bit more convenient in an attempt to attract as many as possible.

Everything feeds into that... if GPUs become available that focus more on non-RT performance, that helps, if foveated rendering makes it more drivable that helps. If there was more software that helps a lot.

In 3 years time, I think we'll have our choice of all these things... except software, unless more people between now and then get into VR.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

RedRizla said:
How many people on this forum own a Geforce 2080Ti that can run higher resolution screens? I bet a majority of people with a Geforce 1080 or less would moan a bucket full, if Oculus released a headset that only Geforce 2080Ti users could use with games like SkyRim etc.

extremes rarely hold the answer imo... there is a big difference between maintaining the minimum spec of the current 3 year old headset and making it so ONLY a £1000+ gpu is supported.

again tho, the fix would be in software... i own a 4k tv but my heavily overclocked 1080ti cant play games at a level i am happy with at 4k so i output at QHD...... but the screen is there ready for when i upgrade.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@bigmike20vt - Adding 4K screens to the Rift -S would increase the price. Why not just wait until PC hardware and 4K screens are cheap enough and then make another Rift? That way the headset itself remains cheap enough for everyone.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
<bangs head on table repeatedly> 😉

I dont think anyone is asking for oculus not to release the rift S..... but it has certain design limitations which the CV1 does not have, 1 of which may well mean the rift S is not usable for some.

All I (and others) are expressing disappointment in that oculus are not catering at all for those who have a bit more cash and are happy to pay a bit more, and for those who have IPDs for instance that the CV1 supports that RiftS doesnt (according to oculus) AS WELL AS the rift S. 3 years in technology is a long time to not progress much.

btw your logic works for ever btw but at some point you too will have a more capable PC and want to stretch its legs. (otherwise we could all still be playing on xbox 360s and telling everyone that 540p 30fps is just fine.)
be careful what you wish for is all i am saying.