cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which VR HMD will you buy next? - Rift S - Valve Index - Quest etc

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Hi guys, since we now know that Valve Index and Rift S will be released very soon, I was curious to see where everyone in the community currently stands on their next purchase.

I've tried to give as many options as possible below and included bundles with Quest + Rift S and Quest + Valve Index since I'm guessing many in the community will be buying more then one HMD just as I plan to myself.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
156 REPLIES 156

ShocksVR
Superstar

nalex66 said:

I agree; to gain any traction, Valve really needs to bring the Index out in the 500 to 600 range. Any higher, and it had better have some major game-changing new feature. 

I think they are banking on the knuckles to be that game-changing feature.

Knuckles are like an improved version of Touch. More similar than they are different.

Valve will have to do more than Knuckles to justify a 800+ price point (imo).
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

nalex66
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

I agree; to gain any traction, Valve really needs to bring the Index out in the 500 to 600 range. Any higher, and it had better have some major game-changing new feature. 

I think they are banking on the knuckles to be that game-changing feature.

For Vive owners, maybe, but to me it just seems like parity with Touch. Anyway, that doesn't sell the headset, since the controllers can be bought separately and used with any SteamVR headset.

I meant that the Index HMD needs to bring something new to the table to command a price significantly higher than Rift or Vive. Some of the rumoured features (like wide FOV, high-res screens, or eye-tracking and foveated rendering) might be worth upgrading for at the right price. I hope, when they reveal the specs on May 1, that they blow us away and exceed expectations. It would be great to have a serious competitor shake things up with some new innovations.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agree- if Index is just a cheaper Vive Pro - I don't think anyone will buy it if it is still in the 800$+ range. They will need to drop the price hard if that is the case. On the other hand, if Index does indeed have some secret spice to it - then the price differences will be compare at that point. If the extra features don't match up to the price - then you will see some backlash or no one buying the headset for sure.

Just having better lenses for example doesn't sound like it be worth a price hike - on the other hand - if these lenses remove the need to render higher than the headset for lens warping and a more 1:1 - that might be worth the price hike for the performance reasons. Then again - if the cost to have this feature in the upper 400+ range I rather spend the money on a better GPU or higher end vr hmd spec headset. This is just an example - until we know more it'll be hard really to compare rumors to what it really will have.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
for me knucles are what make a steamVR device palatable... without them then any HMD is a non starter... but they - as someone above mentioned - are NOT a hook for me as an oculus touch user.

higher res - nice to have for sure but for me not something i will jump for joy over .
improved lenses over CV1 - pretty much a given at this point i think such is the improvements in tech.

so i think for me it will be about the FOV. (along with all the other nice to haves listed above).. not something too insane, i dont want a hammer head shark like HMD, and i am not faffing about balancing distortion and all that stuff that pimax users are expected to do, but a  125-135fov..... that gets my attention.

without an improved FOV i am pretty sure i will stay with my CV1... and if that packed up i would probably just buy a rift S to stay in the oculus infrastructure.  with an improved FOV however, if the price is ok i am very interested.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP
That’s the boat I’m in too. I’m thoroughly invested in the Oculus ecosystem, and I would prefer to stick with Oculus hardware, but since Oculus has no PCVR hardware on the horizon that is suitable for me (high IPD), I might be interested in the Index if it offers attractive features at a decent price. If not, then I just hope my CV1 holds up for a few more years. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Dilip
Rising Star

kevinw729 said:

Edit - Also lets not forget the new Pico Standalone announcement made last week with the Pico Neo 2, that includes the SD845 - again substantively more powerful than the SD835a - https://uploadvr.com/pico-neo-2/

One can find in my older posts. Even on day quest was announced i was of opinion it must be updated to SD845 as stand alone headset are fixed with SoC and if we are looking for 1/2 year life period by the time mobile chips will be leaps ahead so its good idea to use best available (SD855) or second best(SD845) but not the third best (SD835). Though if SD835 in quest in some way over clocked and better cooled to perform on par with SD845 while in phone i still believe in same cooling setup SD845 can perform even better. ... lets see what future holds.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Dilip said:
One can find in my older posts. Even on day quest was announced i was of opinion it must be updated to SD845 as stand alone headset are fixed with SoC and if we are looking for 1/2 year life period by the time mobile chips will be leaps ahead so its good idea to use best available (SD855) or second best(SD845) but not the third best (SD835). Though if SD835 in quest in some way over clocked and better cooled to perform on par with SD845 while in phone i still believe in same cooling setup SD845 can perform even better. ... lets see what future holds.

I agree that the "let see what it can achieve" axium is a good one - I have been lucky enough to try the Quest, and was surprised how hard the dev teams have converted the PC content down to the system - I think SuperHotVR will be one of those "must have" games on the system, but I would also point to the same game on the new Samsung GearVR Standalone running the SD855 and say that the decision to go with the older SD may come round to prove an issues.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dilip said:

kevinw729 said:

Edit - Also lets not forget the new Pico Standalone announcement made last week with the Pico Neo 2, that includes the SD845 - again substantively more powerful than the SD835a - https://uploadvr.com/pico-neo-2/

The 835 in the Quest is indeed overclocked. They've managed to do this thanks to the cooling system in the headset, I think Carmack confirmed this a while ago.

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

The 835 in the Quest is indeed over locked. They've managed to do this thanks to the cooling system in the headset, I think Carmack confirmed this a while ago.

Also note that with any overclock - the chip still has to support such speed - so at best - I assume they only got maybe back another 10-15% performance boost - witch translates to 5 -15 frames. That be pretty modest for an over clock consider most are around less than 10%. What I mean is at best the 835 would be closer to the 845 - but oc alone would not be a replacement for 845 chip so we can guess about what the Quest performance will be. Kind of neat:)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12420/snapdragon-845-performance-preview/4
Qualcomm QRD (Snapdragon 845)10LPP60.90~4.3813.90 fps/W
Galaxy S8 (Snapdragon 835)10LPE38.903.7910.26 fps/W

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I got the Odyssey+ WMR headset I ordered on the sale. It's kind of a mixed bag. The screen looks awesome. Practically no SDE (there is a slight pattern, but you really have to look). Everything looks detailed, even in the background. So that part is good. Headset is relatively comfortable, I'm a fan of PSVR style headsets.

But the tracking is really wonky. I mean, it would have been okay if not for the glitches. Sometimes I would randomly get stuck in the floor (and it's not easy to recenter). Then one time the screen started spinning and I became stuck about 20 feet in the air upside-down, for no reason whatsoever. Plus I was getting loud audio static noise in the headphones intermittently.

Pretty sad, because I did really want to like it. And this was supposed to be the premium model. I think I'll probably just sell it and wait to see what happens with Rift S.