cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath

bigmike20vt
Visionary
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=de&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=...

Pretty bleak reading imo excuse long link Google shortener not working on it
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
401 REPLIES 401

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
In related news,

Coming out of GDC, I was pretty much convinced that I would NOT purchase Rift-S. Now, however, after reading all the negative hyperbole against it... fml, I know I'm gonna buy it. Rift-S is in my future. Thanks, naysayers!
😛

LZoltowski
Champion
I was going to buy one anyway, it fixes everything that I had an issue with CV1

Sensor tomfoolery (I can actually now use my 1070 MaxQ Laptop in any part of the house without moving those darn sensors from room to room)

Much less SDE, no god rays and comfort.

Ticks all the boxes.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Can I ask why higher resolutions in VR headsets concern people so much? I get it if you are playing flight sims that require you to see all the cockpit instruments, but for games in general even the PS -VR, with it's low resolution screens has sold 4 million VR headsets. That's because it produces some good games that people enjoy despite them having low resolutions.

CV1 has some great games, so why do people want such high res screens right now? The Rift -S reduces screen door effect more because of the Lcd screen, which used to be one of most people's gripes. The God rays have just about gone which was another one of people's gripes.

So @Mradr, why is resolution and screens such a big thing for you right now?

pyroth309
Visionary

I was going to buy one anyway, it fixes everything that I had an issue with CV1

Sensor tomfoolery (I can actually now use my 1070 MaxQ Laptop in any part of the house without moving those darn sensors from room to room)

Much less SDE, no god rays and comfort.

Ticks all the boxes.

Yea, the USB cables were the thing I disliked most about CV1 but was usually a lone cricket on this forum about it lol. I packed up my CV1 and retired it because I'm tired of USB problems due to my long runs of extensions. I think most people upgrading from CV1 will be happy with the Rift-S.

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

Can I ask why higher resolutions in VR headsets concern people so much? I get it if you are playing flight sims that require you to see all the cockpit instruments, but for games in general even the PS -VR, with it's low resolution screens has sold 4 million VR headsets. That's because it produces some good games that people enjoy despite them having low resolutions.

CV1 has some great games, so why do people want such high res screens right now? The Rift -S reduces screen door effect more because of the Lcd screen, which used to be one of most people's gripes. The God rays have just about gone which was another one of people's gripe. So @Mradr, why is resolution and screens such a big thing for you right now?

And how many of those 4 millions actually play PSVR regularly though? I don't play mine, not one of my friends who bought it still use it regularly. They'll dust it off for hyped titles but it goes back to collecting dust after. Sony has that data and I think that's why they're still making short games. Resolution makes things feel more lifelike so it's important for some.

For me you already answered the question, Sims.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

CV1 has some great games, so why do people want such high res screens right now? The Rift -S reduces screen door effect more because of the Lcd screen, which used to be one of most people's gripes. The God rays have just about gone which was another one of people's gripe. So @Mradr, why is resolution and screens such a big thing for you right now?

Sure, main reason is I want to switch over to VR as my main monitor. I love how I had soo many screens ready to use when I had my CV1. The problem with is was that I couldn't make out details after a while as I added more screens. It wasn't so much a SDE issue as I just need more pixels to fill in what I was see in the first place. I monitor and maintain quite a few devices ranging from PCs to cell phones to Email/App/Server servers. Along with that - I program and spend most of my day switching between many monitors so my neck hurts after a while:) With the CV1 I could move my focus monitor around without having to move my head:) was super nice.

The problem is like I said - I couldn't make out enough detail though. Text was blurry most of the time, some of the graphics I couldn't make out what was being shown, further monitors were hard to make out what was going on in them, and over all just wasn't pleasant switching back and forth between my real monitors and the VR world. Granted - some of that isn't so much a res problem as I just need a easier in and out method when using VR.

I mean I do play flat games too - so comparing my monitor to a flat screen game also just ... wasn't up to what we have now in monitor land. I had fun being in my VR computer room playing starcraft 2... but again - just hard to make out details in the game, etc, etc.

At the same time - I love eye candy. I am like that weird guy that loves standing by waterfalls in games just because I love how they look and the detail devs put into them at times. For VR - it was just another level even with the CV1 - but as always - we want more:) so I want to see more detail with VR games as well. I played a lot of Onward and Robo Recall - for me it was a lot fun just spending time looking at the small details the game provided that you wouldn't think was there - but as I look at these objects - SDE was very plain to see sadly =/ and following that - as the same above - it was just too hard to see some of these details in these objects as well. Granted once the game starts - you forget about that to a point - but when trying to snipe someone down and all you see is a few pixels - it reminds you again that we need more resolution. 

Luciferous
Consultant

Zenbane said:

In related news,

Coming out of GDC, I was pretty much convinced that I would NOT purchase Rift-S. Now, however, after reading all the negative hyperbole against it... fml, I know I'm gonna buy it. Rift-S is in my future. Thanks, naysayers!
😛

Excellent, where would we be without you entry levels consumers plumping up the market. You have my eternal thanks for your sacrifice and low standards 😛 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

pyroth309 said:

RedRizla said:

And how many of those 4 millions actually play PSVR regularly though? I don't play mine, not one of my friends who bought it still use it regularly. They'll dust it off for hyped titles but it goes back to collecting dust after. Sony has that data and I think that's why they're still making short games. Resolution makes things feel more lifelike so it's important for some.

I don't know how many people are still using their PS -VR headset, but neither do you unless there's a link to these stats somewhere? For all we we know there might be millions using their PS -VR headset, it certainly has good reviews on Amazon.Uk.

I don't use my CV1 that regular, but I still really like it. I love my Motor Cycle, which I rarely use, but it's there when I want to use it. The point is you don't have to use something regular just to show that you still like it. Why don't your friends sell the PS -VR, if they don't like it, or do they still like it but just don't play it that regular?

@Mradr - I think you need to be looking at a business headset then and not one geared towards gaming and some apps. They will cost a lot of money though. I'm not sure what resolution you would need to see loads of monitors in VR and be able to read text on them. Probably 8k per eye at a guess.

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

pyroth309 said:

RedRizla said:

I don't know how many people are still using their PS -VR headset, but neither do you unless there's a link to these stats somewhere? For all we we know there might be millions using their PS -VR headset, it certainly has good reviews on Amazon.Uk.

I don't use my CV1 that regular, but I still really like it. I love my Motor Cycle, which I rarely use, but it's there when I want to use it. The point is you don't have to use something regular just to show that you still like it. Why don't your friends sell the PS -VR, if they don't like it, or do they still like it but just don't play it that regular?

Fair enough. My point was it's not good enough to replace the TV for most people yet, resolution is a big part of that. Not just the res of the screens but also the resolution of the rendered game.

As for why my friends never sold theirs, well 4 of them are console collectors and have a bunch of console stuff they never play I guess just to say they have them I guess lol. I never understood it tbh. The other 3 are too busy playing MMORPG's to care. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

@Mradr - I think you need to be looking at a business headset then and not one geared towards gaming and some apps. They will cost a lot of money though. I'm not sure what resolution you would need to see loads on monitors in VR.

Oh I have - most want you to pay extra fees though to use their device in a creative way - but I am not and I dont want to be force into that xD I was looking at StarVR really hard up until they went belly up sadly:) Even Oculus has a business model on some of the products - but you are not really paying for the headset - you are paying for extra terms that may or may not work with your end goal. I would be consider still a customer grade user - but at the same time - I am the other market VR needs to get into at some point outside of just gaming and entertainment. 

I dont know - I mean I want this - but at the same time - leaving the Oculus software ecosystem and looking at else is there - you just go meh - So even if I  do find the perfect headset - you be leaving a ecosystem that so far (even with its faults) has been a big game changer. Over all - all I can say is - win some - lose some , right?