cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which VR HMD will you buy next? - Rift S - Valve Index - Quest etc

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Hi guys, since we now know that Valve Index and Rift S will be released very soon, I was curious to see where everyone in the community currently stands on their next purchase.

I've tried to give as many options as possible below and included bundles with Quest + Rift S and Quest + Valve Index since I'm guessing many in the community will be buying more then one HMD just as I plan to myself.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
156 REPLIES 156

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I do not want to get too hung up on the processor - I was alluding originally to the decision to go with the older design, but I know the team involved at Oculus Texas are some of the smartest people in the room regarding squeezing performance. As many of the posts have said over the last few comments - the reality is its all about content, and if the other games live up to the demos I have seen, then I think the issue is more to do with how they sell / promote the system than if its performance is hindered by a older processor.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I got the Odyssey+ WMR headset I ordered on the sale. It's kind of a mixed bag. The screen looks awesome. Practically no SDE (there is a slight pattern, but you really have to look). Everything looks detailed, even in the background. So that part is good. Headset is relatively comfortable, I'm a fan on PSVR style headsets.

But the tracking is really wonky. I mean, it would have been okay if not for the glitches. Sometimes I would randomly get stuck in the floor (and it's not easy to recenter). Then one time the screen started spinning and I became stuck about 20 feet in the air upside-down, for no reason whatsoever. Plus I was getting loud audio static noise in the headphones intermittently.

Pretty sad, because I did really want to like it. And this was supposed to be the premium model. I think I'll probably just sell it and wait to see what happens with Rift S.

Tracking issues would be a huge deal breaker for me, no way could I put up with the occasional glitches in tracking, not after having the Rift and the awesome tracking I get with it.
That will be a concern for me with a Rift S.
And one reason I am also strongly looking at the Valve Index. Waiting to see full spec reveal though.

pyroth309
Visionary

So I got the Odyssey+ WMR headset I ordered on the sale. It's kind of a mixed bag. The screen looks awesome. Practically no SDE (there is a slight pattern, but you really have to look). Everything looks detailed, even in the background. So that part is good. Headset is relatively comfortable, I'm a fan of PSVR style headsets.

But the tracking is really wonky. I mean, it would have been okay if not for the glitches. Sometimes I would randomly get stuck in the floor (and it's not easy to recenter). Then one time the screen started spinning and I became stuck about 20 feet in the air upside-down, for no reason whatsoever. Plus I was getting loud audio static noise in the headphones intermittently.

Pretty sad, because I did really want to like it. And this was supposed to be the premium model. I think I'll probably just sell it and wait to see what happens with Rift S.

If you're in an empty room with no objects, the headset will have nothing to track and get lost. Also works better if the room is evenly lit. I would run through setup again if that's not the case.

The audio blast you're getting is from USB and could also be some of your tracking problems. If you're using an extension, You pretty much need a powered USB hub if you're using a cable longer than 6 feet. Try it with no extensions and see how it goes. I've been playing my Odyssey most of the day today, it works great for me. Loss of tracking outside of the camera will always be a problem for WMR though. You only get about roughly 2 seconds of predictive tracking before they freeze and go to 3dof.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You might be right about the extension cable. When I plug in direct to the computer it seems to be working. Played about 30 minutes and it was fine (one point it did briefly lose one of the hands, but it recovered).

pyroth309
Visionary

You might be right about the extension cable. When I plug in direct to the computer it seems to be working. Played about 30 minutes and it was fine (one point it did briefly lose one of the hands, but it recovered).

Yea losing hand tracking here and there when they leave the camera (which is front facing) is just part of WMR. Get in the habit of looking toward your hands so the cameras can see them. If they stop tracking bring the controller back in front of you. It is what it is but at least the visuals are sweet lol.

Also, this is what I'm using at the moment. I have a 10 foot extension going into my USB hub and then a 6 foot to my headset cable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQFGH80/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some USB cards though will only work with two 6 footers. It's kind of trial and error.

Luciferous
Consultant
Do you think you could use knuckles with the Odyssey, I saw it being used with the rift. 

I presume that would be steam only games.

ShocksVR
Superstar
^^^
You need Lighthouses.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you think you could use knuckles with the Odyssey, I saw it being used with the rift. 

I presume that would be steam only games.

Yes, using the SteamVR software in theory you could combine whatever headset with their controllers. Granted, you would need both tracking methods going/working for it to really work. With Odyssey - you would have WMR tracking so nothing extra needed there - but the controllers would require lighthouse.

Luciferous
Consultant
I guess that would depend on the pricing of a knuckles lighthouse bundle then.

See on ebay a few Vive for spares going cheap. If it had broken headset but controllers and V1 lighthouses could be a cheap option.

pyroth309
Visionary

I guess that would depend on the pricing of a knuckles lighthouse bundle then.

See on ebay a few Vive for spares going cheap. If it had broken headset but controllers and V1 lighthouses could be a cheap option.

Yea that's probably what route I'm going to go if the Index isn't good enough. Reverb with lighthouses and Knuckles.