Oculus Quest Preorders Accidentally Went Live ! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Quest Preorders Accidentally Went Live !

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,324 Valuable Player

Facebook told us that Amazon launched preorders accidentally. Preorders for Oculus Quest have not begun. The Amazon listing has now been taken down. However, Facebook told us the £499 (US $499) pricing for the 128GB model is correct.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-128-uk-preorders-amazon/?fbclid=IwAR13Evo2zOxqGlEjbW0RynrAg3t-oiSqNH6PjbLll4K6BLEvYUIPkK-Y_ZM

P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,032 Valuable Player
    Oops.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,561 Volunteer Moderator
    £499 = $650 and 42 cents at current exchange rate, superb  :|
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,838 Valuable Player
    @Techy111 where are you?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,976 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:

Better get two  o:) With no strings attached you'll probably run into a brick wall or two ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Techy111 said:
    Right here @Digikid1 where are you ? London innit ;)
    Was just  curious   Sounded like Canadian conversion. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,786 Valuable Player
    back in the day a £ to $ like for like was ripping us off terribly - back when it was $1.65 to £1

however these days when taking into account tax and what not, a $1 to £1 is probably not to bad. I suppose the small print being in the US it is possible to dodge sales tax a lot of the time, where as there is no getting away from 20% VAT in the uk.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,833 Valuable Player
    Wonder if that means Rift -S is not coming at the same time. 
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    back in the day a £ to $ like for like was ripping us off terribly - back when it was $1.65 to £1

however these days when taking into account tax and what not, a $1 to £1 is probably not to bad. I suppose the small print being in the US it is possible to dodge sales tax a lot of the time, where as there is no getting away from 20% VAT in the uk.

Please note too - you guys get 2 years vs our 1 year warranty as well. I really wish the US would do the same. It only adds a bit more cost in the most cases. 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,681 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Techy111 said:

Better get two  o:) With no strings attached you'll probably run into a brick wall or two ;)

At that price, i'd say there is a very long string attached.  With a lead balloon at the end.  Cheeky buggers!
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 395
    Trinity
    edited April 17
    £500!!......for the 128 meg version!!!........but i don't want the gold jewel encrusted version that comes with two dusky maiden's who waft you with cool palm leaves and feed you Trukish delight, i just want the plain plastic one. lol

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,324 Valuable Player
    We have yet to hear the strings attached to the software usage / pre-owned issues - I think we are due some more surprises. May explain the whole accidental posting of the page.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,392 Valuable Player
    Haven't we known this for a while? We always end up paying a direct conversion from dollars to pounds and having the 128MB one at $499 was revealed a while back too.

Am I missing something here?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,833 Valuable Player
    edited April 17
    We all knew the 64MB one was going to be £399, so there's another £100 to go on for the 128MB? I thought maybe adding £50 would suffice.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,686 Valuable Player
    edited April 17
    The article mentions that they were able to successfully place the pre-order... I'm curious how that will turn out for them.  First place in line when the units actually do start shipping?    Someone better let me know if the page for Rift-S accidentally goes up early, or I'll be so jealous. :tongue:

Merry Riftmas, everybody!
  • Cance11ationCance11ation Posts: 521
    Nexus 6
    Here's a question, the galaxy fold is coming out on the 26th. If you can, which one would you buy? Don't tell me why.
    Check out my twitch [twitch.tv/BATTLE_net]
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,149 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 18
    Here's a question, the galaxy fold is coming out on the 26th. If you can, which one would you buy? Don't tell me why.
    Which one of what? VR headsets (this thread) or $2000 foldable mobile phones (galaxy fold) that are breaking within a day of use (not this thread)?

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,786 Valuable Player
    isnt that a bit like asking which one would you buy a quest or a microwave?

they are totally different items, it depends which you need the most. I have zero interest in a mobile phone which costs more than £150... indeed i would rather have a phone the right side of £100 myself and then not stress about it breaking.... but am happy to pay for a better than entry level VR device.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    OmegaM4N said:
    £500!!......for the 128 meg version!!!........but i don't want the gold jewel encrusted version that comes with two dusky maiden's who waft you with cool palm leaves and feed you Trukish delight, i just want the plain plastic one. lol

Speak for yourself. @snowdog and I want that version!!!!!!!
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,287 Valuable Player
    I still can't understand why they didn't make the Quest PC powered as an option or v2. Very disappointing - so I won't be buying one.

• DTHDTH Posts: 215
    Art3mis
    If the s will run all the games I already have. I might but so far everything I have read will not say yes or no.  they post about stuff I do not care about and talk in double speak about games we already own. I will not buy a game more than once.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,392 Valuable Player
    DTH said:
    If the s will run all the games I already have. I might but so far everything I have read will not say yes or no.  they post about stuff I do not care about and talk in double speak about games we already own. I will not buy a game more than once.

They've confirmed that the Rift S will be able to run all games that the current Rift does. Or are you getting the Rift S confused with the Quest?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 395
    Trinity
    JD-UK said:
    I still can't understand why they didn't make the Quest PC powered as an option or v2. Very disappointing - so I won't be buying one.
    You never know what is around the corner. ;)
  • DTHDTH Posts: 215
    Art3mis
    @snowdog ; I might be.  So I do not have to load a new home, store ect.  I guess I would just download updated software and unplug my sensors?  I would like to keep my Rift Just incase I'm not happy with the S.
    edited April 18
    JD-UK said:
    In other words, they should have just made one hybrid mobile / PC VR device, instead of the separate Quest and Rift-S?   True that would have been awesome, and given them a huge advantage over other HMDs...  But I wonder how much a device like that would have cost?

Particularly, if it had all of the best features of each headset and none of the cost-saving tradeoffs.  $600, maybe?   Certainly, VR enthusiasts would buy it at that price, but would they have much luck selling it to everyone else?  $400 is kind of a magic number for entry-level devices, I think, because that's about the average price of a Game Console at release. $600 isn't objectively that much more, but subjectively it's twice the average price of major game consoles now that their prices have dropped.

DTH said:
    @snowdog ; I might be.  So I do not have to load a new home, store ect.  I guess I would just download updated software and unplug my sensors?  I would like to keep my Rift Just incase I'm not happy with the S.
    Correct.  Actually, I don't think you'll even need any specific software,  the support for Rift-S should just automatically be in the latest / next home update whether you get one or not.    But also, Oculus Home will continue to support the original Rift for a very long time, so even if you get a Rift-S and decide to return / sell it later,  you can still play all the hot new games on your old Rift.   (They just won't look quite as nice :wink: )

Come to think of it, maybe a generous return / refund policy is exactly what Oculus needs to get skeptical Rifters to try out the Rift-S?  Maybe even include one or more of the hot new AAA titles as freebies with purchase, and say you can keep them even if you decide to return the Rift-S.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,370 Valuable Player
    They recently added support for multiple headsets in the Oculus desktop app, so you probably don't even need to unplug your sensors or your CV1.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,032 Valuable Player
    JD-UK said:
    Because PC-VR is no longer a large focus of Oculus, hence contracting with Lenova.
    Mobile and social aspect are where they are mainly focused now.
    Of course only my personal opinion based on observations.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    dburne said:
    JD-UK said:
    Because PC-VR is no longer a large focus of Oculus, hence contracting with Lenova.
    Mobile and social aspect are where they are mainly focused now.
    Of course only my personal opinion based on observations.
    Their continued funding / development of AAA PC VR games and experiences would suggest that you're wrong.  In fact, it shows that Oculus are far more invested in PC VR than any of their competitors.

Also the recent emphasis on Cross Buy and Cross Play proves they care about both markets.